Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:53:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Meet The Richardsons

Started by Utter Shit, February 28, 2020, 08:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Started last night on Dave, anyone see it? Apparently it's half scripted and half not, and has loads of exaggerated celebrity cameos similar to what Extras did. Worth seeing?

gilbertharding

I'm sorry to say not. Perhaps it was the weight of expectation: I'd heard 'British Kerb your Enthusiasm'...

But neither of them are good enough actors to pull it off. The 'mock doc' direction, and the interviewer's scripts were tin-eared and poorly observed.

Imagine a FOURTH series of I'm Alan Partridge, without Steve Coogan.

jobotic

Jon Richardson? The unfunny cunt? No thanks.

Wet Blanket

Not seen this yet but I will say that I think Lucy Beaumont is a fine comedian and it's a shame she's having to hitch a ride on Jon Richardson's coat-tails.

Jon's no doubt a nice fella in real life but I find his pedantic miserable persona grating. I always think back to a travel doc a few years ago with him and Sean Lock. Both trade on a sort of grumpy act but Lock came across pretty well and game for a laugh, whereas Richardson was negative and pretty hostile around his hosts.

Chollis

Natnar

Has his act changed much since he can't do the "I'm too riddled with OCD to ever be with anyone ever" stuff anymore since he's married with a family now?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 28, 2020, 09:07:30 AM
I'm sorry to say not. Perhaps it was the weight of expectation: I'd heard 'British Kerb your Enthusiasm'...

They said that about Lead Balloon, it was bollocks then and I reckon this won't be fit to lick Jack Dees boots.

Utter Shit

Is Jon Richardson a CAB hate figure then? He seems harmless enough to me, not an amazing comic or anything (both Russell Howard and John Robins have done bits on radio about him that are funnier than anything he himself has done IMO) but sort of alright. I remember that Sean Lock travel thing and he did seem like a bit of a grumpy arse even compared to Sean.

Crabwalk

He dissed Corbs. No coming back from that.

Ambient Sheep

Yup.  I used to quite like him until he went on to HIGNFY and somehow blamed Corbyn for the Tory government trampling on the poor.  So not just dissing him, but completely wrong-headedly aiming at the wrong target entirely.

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1210935710586474496 (first posted here, then turned into a thread of its own here).

So now he can get to fuck.

On the plus side, it did free up a lot of space on my TiVo after deleting a whole load of 8Oo10CDC repeats and the entire second series of Ultimate Worrier (bar S02E01 which I had actually got round to watching & deleting before he outed himself as a hateful political moron).

GMTV

Was vaguely aware of him before seeing him live a couple of years ago, really just for the sake of going out one weekend. His act was alright, fairly generic. Can hardly remember anything about it apart from a bland skit about filling up his dishwasher.

Slightly baffled by the hatred of him but I've presumably missed some stuff.

Chollis

Captain Z

Always thought he was fine on 8OO10C, but would be very far down a list of people I'd ever want to meet or get to know better.

jimboslice

I saw him a few times before he was super-massive and he was excellent. His more recent stand-up stuff is a lot more middle of the road, but he's alright. That OCD programme he did was good.

But then maybe I only slightly like him because he's a Leeds fan.

Famous Mortimer

He's tolerable on Cats Does Countdown, but everything else is meh. And it's not the insulting Corbyn, it's the intellectual midgetry required to actually think what he said was true that makes me not interested in anything else he does.

C_Larence

Reminded me of a shit Nirvanna The Band The Show, with the not sure what's scripted (except it was painfully obvious) and the setting something on fire accidentally.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 28, 2020, 02:54:52 PMAnd it's not the insulting Corbyn, it's the intellectual midgetry required to actually think what he said was true that makes me not interested in anything else he does.

Yes.  This is what I was trying to get across but failed (although insulting Corbyn doesn't help, either).

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 28, 2020, 01:36:38 PM
sort of alright

Sort of alright isn't worth my time and I haven't even got a wife, kids, mortgage and extremely busy job. If I had all that shit it would be even less worth my time. There's so much stuff being released and so much competition for people's time these days it's hard to see how sort of alright can be enough for anyone.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 28, 2020, 10:15:56 AM
Not seen this yet but I will say that I think Lucy Beaumont is a fine comedian and it's a shame she's having to hitch a ride on Jon Richardson's coat-tails.

Oh...is that who she is? I was half-watching some of the promo stuff the other night and thought he'd shacked up with Melinda Messenger.

Sin Agog

That Corbyn clip is especially sad as he used to occasionally drop a nice unexpected compassionate soundbite.  Can't remember any of them now, but he were a good lad once.  Someone opined that his flirty friendship with Rachel Riley is what planted that particular seed.

He did come across a bit of a prissy sod on that cowboy travel show with Locke, but he's obviously a wallflower who gets frazzled and burnt out by new things.  He's the kind of guy who goes on holiday and spends most of it reading a book in his hotel room (and maybe, if he's feeling adventurous, the balcony).

Or maybe he was always a bit of a cunt for making hand sanitiser his comedy persona. 

Dewt

Absolutely nothing under the surface with this guy, he makes me feel like I've died.

Alberon

He's okay on Cats does Countdown but I wouldn't be bothered to watch anything he's the main attraction in.

He's mediocre. Neither worthy of praise or condemnation.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on January 03, 2020, 11:04:03 AM
I'm glad to have been reminded of Simon Hedges

https://mobile.twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1210968227351846915

QuoteWhat a life Jon. Rolling from panel show to panel show, town to town, doing the same joke again and again about how his wife doesn't know how to load the dishwasher. Successfully monetizing his tedious, dog shit personality for a career in showbiz. Don't knock it, I wish I could.

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, he's just the epitome of Avalon mediocrity.

lankyguy95

Predictable they'd get these two to do a show. I know you're supposed to give things a chance but nah.

neveragain

They should rename Dave 'Avalon'. Just the same rotation of acts on and on, into infinity.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 28, 2020, 04:31:44 PM
That Corbyn clip is especially sad as he used to occasionally drop a nice unexpected compassionate soundbite.  Can't remember any of them now, but he were a good lad once.

Exactly.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 28, 2020, 04:31:44 PM
That Corbyn clip is especially sad as he used to occasionally drop a nice unexpected compassionate soundbite.

He lives locally (Mytholmroyd) and has done a couple of fund-raisers for flood relief. My wife went to one and he said how he'd attended a Corbyn rally during the 2017 campaign.

Ambient Sheep

I'm not surprised, which is why it's even weirder.

Misdirected anger, I guess.

chveik

don't get me started on that little creep