Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:36:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Meet The Richardsons

Started by Utter Shit, February 28, 2020, 08:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Natnar on February 28, 2020, 12:18:45 PM
Has his act changed much since he can't do the "I'm too riddled with OCD to ever be with anyone ever" stuff anymore since he's married with a family now?

I read his (first?) book years ago in which he all but admitted he turned down a date with a waitress he fancied because if it worked out it would have affected what he considered his USP. I've not really kept up with anything he's done since but it sounds like he's just adapted.

Chollis

timebug

He is also  something of a thicko. On a recently repeated (yet again) 'Cats' on Dave, he did the bit where they were talking about Bond films, and he seemed to genuinely believe that the character of Goldfinger was actually King Midas,and anything he touched, literally,turned to gold. On the USA doc with Sean he came across as a right miserable bastard too. Plus I can't stand his whiny voice.

Icehaven

I've just remembered he used to be on 6 Music sometimes, which is what made me want to read his book in the first place. I think the only time I've seen him on TV is in trailers for panel shows.

Puce Moment

Mediocre stand-up lucks out with a TV panel show gig. It's the story of ages - but who actually goes to see him live because he sells out to fuckery?

mrpupkin

I'm trying to picture his face and just getting towels. Although that's more my problem than his.

Fambo Number Mive

I prefer Dancing With The Krays myself

Hat FM

i was pleasantly surprised by ultimate worrier. seemed to fit his persona quite well although as mentioned it did just reel off the classic avalon guests that are on every Dave show.

first ep of this was pretty mediocre and you would imagine they would put the best one on first.

Panbaams

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 28, 2020, 04:31:44 PM
That Corbyn clip is especially sad as he used to occasionally drop a nice unexpected compassionate soundbite.  Can't remember any of them now, but he were a good lad once.

When Jimmy Carr got into his tax bother, Jon Richardson picked him up on it in 8 out of 10 Cats.

I would link to it, but if you search for it on YouTube you get a vast wall of clips with titles like "BEST stories of FUNNIEST Jimmy comments with SHOCKED Rachel Riley".

phantom_power

Rachel Riley will have been in his ear about it and it crept in by osmosis

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 02, 2020, 11:32:44 AM
Mediocre stand-up lucks out with a TV panel show gig. It's the story of ages - but who actually goes to see him live because he sells out to fuckery?

Comedy is the new landfill indie.

MiddleRabbit

I've never seen his stand up but I have met him a couple of times.  Mrs Middlerabbit is mates with Lucy Beaumont, who used to go out with the bass player in the last band I was in, which would have been fifteen years ago, I suppose. She went to a mutual friend's wedding a couple of years ago and it struck me that she's a secret misery, which I quite enjoy.  She's a nice lass though and he seems alright too.  He's pretty quiet and reserved but we had a pleasant enough conversation about Ben Wheatley films. 

Went to their wedding and what have you, which was a good couple of days, all laid on, rooms paid for, food was good.  Roland Gift, a friend of Lucy's mother, sang a couple of Fine Young Cannibals songs at the reception. 

I've been  enjoying this more than I thought I would to be honest, although some of the non-actors haven't been much cop. 

The Corbyn remark - in terms of anything - wasn't such a great move, no, but he's hardly putting himself out on a limb, suggesting that Corbyn maybe wasn't the best person that Labour could have put forward - it's not like he's the only person who's suggested something similar.  Regardless, he's a Leeds fan, so maybe we shouldn't expect too much in the way of nuanced political commentary.

Oh, and he's not what you'd call a fan of Rachel Riley in the slightest, so far as I can gather.

Ambient Sheep

Thanks for the insight.  Interesting, thought-provoking, and somewhat mollifying.  However:

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on March 12, 2020, 11:06:52 PMThe Corbyn remark - in terms of anything - wasn't such a great move, no, but he's hardly putting himself out on a limb, suggesting that Corbyn maybe wasn't the best person that Labour could have put forward - it's not like he's the only person who's suggested something similar. 

It wasn't the suggestion that Corbyn maybe wasn't the best person to have been put forward -- that's fair enough, no issue with that.

It was the suggestion that we should somehow BLAME Jeremy Corbyn for all the grief that the poor (and lots of other people) will now suffer under the Tories.  Rather than, you know, blaming the actual Tories and their actions.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 13, 2020, 02:05:01 AM
Thanks for the insight.  Interesting, thought-provoking, and somewhat mollifying.  However:

It wasn't the suggestion that Corbyn maybe wasn't the best person to have been put forward -- that's fair enough, no issue with that.

It was the suggestion that we should somehow BLAME Jeremy Corbyn for all the grief that the poor (and lots of other people) will now suffer under the Tories.  Rather than, you know, blaming the actual Tories and their actions.

I agree with you.  I'm just suggesting that Richardson wasn't a lone dissenting voice, that's all.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Top Catherine Tate/ Kristen Wiig hybrid lookalike comedienne Lucy Beaumont is from Hull? And she's married to that crap, self- satisfied comedian? Well , I never!

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 13, 2020, 10:49:19 AM
Top Catherine Tate/ Kristen Wiig hybrid lookalike comedienne Lucy Beaumont is from Hull? And she's married to that crap, self- satisfied comedian? Well , I never!

I know, she ought to mention it occasionally, eh?

Chollis

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Chollis on March 13, 2020, 11:47:00 AM
little slug man

From your avatar, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Chollis on March 13, 2020, 11:47:00 AM
little slug man
So salty.

Although you could probably use that to your advantage against a slug.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on March 13, 2020, 11:12:15 AM
I know, she ought to mention it occasionally, eh?

I wasn't actually being sarky, having not actually seen any of her comedy act before. Just had a look at a clip of her stand up, and she really has got that lovely " err nerr" Hull accent, hasn't she? Part of her act involved reading out a menu from one of Hull's finest pizzerias. She didn't even have to embelish any details. Genuinely didn't know she was married to Jon Richardson , either. Feel a little bit guilty about the way I described him, but I'm really not a fan.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 13, 2020, 02:05:01 AMIt was the suggestion that we should somehow BLAME Jeremy Corbyn for all the grief that the poor (and lots of other people) will now suffer under the Tories.  Rather than, you know, blaming the actual Tories and their actions.

If Corbyn chooses to go out of a night with a short dress and no bra what does he expect?

Ray Travez

Quote from: icehaven on March 02, 2020, 11:28:37 AM
I've just remembered he used to be on 6 Music sometimes, which is what made me want to read his book in the first place. I think the only time I've seen him on TV is in trailers for panel shows.

Yeah, he had a show with Russell Howard, which I thought was quite funny at times. Then Howard left and I'm not sure Richardson had the charisma to front it on his own.

Don't mind the lad meself. The Corbyn comment is pretty dumb, but I think his heart's in the right place.

jsgibble

The programme's a bit of a mess, isn't it? Very clip-heavy, and jars a bit moving between some quite earnest bits to camera and weak farce.

Hat FM

yeah i think they should just go all out curb your enthusiasm if thats what they want to base it on. i never know how much of it is based on truth. Jon was once overtaken unsafely and had an idea of writing an angry letter to the perpetrator? i like his pub though, especially when he spoke about never having a wild night there with his mates but plenty when he had got smashed on his own.

Mobbd

8 seconds in: probably not for me, this. But give them a chance.

29 seconds in: oh dear.

2 mins in: not for me, this. Off.

Sin Agog

They should rename it to Facetime the Richardsons just to be safe.

Famous Mortimer

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6861/meet-the-richardsons-returning-new-series/

I feel like they could just switch this with a video of a fireplace for half an hour and the viewing figures would be much the same (as would the level of entertainment).

somersetchris

I liked this, and think it's got better as it's gone on.

But predictably, this forum has to go out of its way to demonstrate that they don't actually like any comedy, produced by anyone.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: somersetchris on May 16, 2022, 07:00:44 PMI liked this, and think it's got better as it's gone on.

But predictably, this forum has to go out of its way to demonstrate that they don't actually like any comedy, produced by anyone.
Trolling attempt: 2/10