Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 14, 2021, 11:44:02 PM
Why would there be gravy in a chippy? Do they go on the stuffing and Yorkshire puddings?

Says Mr. Poutine.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Consignia on April 15, 2021, 09:19:13 AM
Says Mr. Poutine.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 14, 2021, 12:06:24 AM
I'd probably enjoy a lot more with different company.

...and I'm sure York is nice as well!!!

If you can't have fun in York then you're fucked, there are a lot of different attractions for what is not a big city. Even if you despise history, beauty of any kind, shopping and trains.

El Unicornio, mang

I remember going to the York Dungeon as a kid and being traumatized by the depictions of chained up men having their chests eaten out by rats and women being dipped in boiling hot oil but went back about 10 years ago with my friend from America and they'd toned it all down. Political correctness gone daft.

Also went to this place (actually dug through my facebook history to find this pic). Proper British historic culture.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 14, 2021, 11:44:02 PM
Why would there be gravy in a chippy?

In reputable northern (Yorkshire) chippy's you get a choice of "traditional" gravy which usually has a tang, contains Henderson's relish or malt vinegar, or "chipshop" gravy which is more like normal gravy.

If you are out and about, a fishcake butty with gravy is a treat. If you're skint, a scallop (large slice of potato battered and deep fried) butty with aforementioned gravy is also a winner. Accept no substitutes.

That is all.

NB: a Yorkshire fishcake is markedly different to a normal one. Its a slice of haddock or cod sandwiched between two large slices of spud, battered and deep fried. It has layers yo.

bgmnts

Are there chippies without gravy option wtf?

El Unicornio, mang

QuoteIt's a northern phenomenon that is seemingly unacceptable down south. When it is requested in southern 'chippies' you either hear 'we don't sell gravy here' (WHAT?!) or they give you some kind of watered down version.

Bloody Londoners.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: bgmnts on April 15, 2021, 11:51:45 AM
Are there chippies without gravy option wtf?

Oh aye, usually the touristy places that cater for the out of towners that come donning a flat cap unironically looking the proverbial cunt. Unsurprisingly, you'll find these establishments, in York.

Mr Banlon

jobotic

Facking gravy on chips??? you fackin norvern mugs.

I do actually find the idea of gravy on chips rather unpleasant.

Fr.Bigley

Tis a personal thing. Sure, a true northerner wouldn't dream of going about their business without listening to the YHO (York's Health Org) guidance on eight glasses of gravy a day.

Helps with vitality when we have to cover the pit pony's shifts when they're on their Hollybobs carting fat Essex lasses on Scarborough beach.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The concept of potatoes and gravy really is mind meltingly oblique and terrifying.

jobotic

Not if they're roast potatoes,. Gravy is essential.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 15, 2021, 10:12:33 AM
If you can't have fun in York then you're fucked, there are a lot of different attractions for what is not a big city. Even if you despise history, beauty of any kind, shopping and trains.

York is like a sensory deprivation tank with a train station. Avoid.

Fr.Bigley

York is well fun. Pissed up racegoers smashing living fuck out of each other on the platform back to Newcastle over a nicked chip, a load of American tourists asking where takes American express wearing a Jorvik t-shirt, the endless stream of cadavers dragged from the Ouse after a missing persons report is highlighted on regional news...it's a fucking hoot you spaz.

wooders1978

Quote from: Consignia on April 15, 2021, 09:19:13 AM
Says Mr. Poutine.

I'm having poutine in/at the boozer on Saturday as it happens - then I'm gonna tell the chef "I daaaan't get it"

Ferris

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 15, 2021, 01:59:23 PM
York is well fun. Pissed up racegoers smashing living fuck out of each other on the platform back to Newcastle over a nicked chip, a load of American tourists asking where takes American express wearing a Jorvik t-shirt, the endless stream of cadavers dragged from the Ouse after a missing persons report is highlighted on regional news...it's a fucking hoot you spaz.

I'm sure York is a perfectly acceptable day out (possibly even for people under seventy-five or the non-comatose), and understand that my experience of it is not subjective.

Chollis

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 15, 2021, 01:28:56 PM
The concept of potatoes and gravy really is mind meltingly oblique and terrifying.

what? you don't have gravy with your sunday roast POTATOES?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Chollis on April 15, 2021, 03:00:13 PM

Or with yer bangers and mash?

BlodwynPig

Pinball

Nothing worse than dying of Covid when you're sober.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Chollis on April 15, 2021, 03:00:13 PM

Quote from: jobotic on April 15, 2021, 01:36:31 PM
Not if they're roast potatoes,. Gravy is essential.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 15, 2021, 03:40:37 PM
Or with yer bangers and mash?

Yes, much like a transmisson of Covid19, I think my sarcasm seems to have gone undetected.

idunnosomename

Pour a boatful of gravy into a tube of pringles and shake it like a cocktail for a tasty treat

gib

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2021, 01:00:42 PM

Yes, much like a transmisson of Covid19, I think my sarcasm seems to have gone undetected.

no, it was obvious to some of us.

Also, what ale did you have?

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 16, 2021, 01:06:05 PM
Pour a boatful of gravy into a tube of pringles
and shake it like a cocktail for a tasty treat

John Sullivan considers rewrite.

El Unicornio, mang

Sebastian Cobb

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 16, 2021, 07:52:16 PM
Currently a 2-hour queue for Wetherspoons in Newcastle. Celebrate good times, come on!

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/lockdown-lifting-pubs-open-live-20402395

What a grey mulch. Do people not get glammed up these days? Monochrome desolation.

El Unicornio, mang

Nah it's all about the Peaky Blinders haircuts and trainers for 'spoons these days

Fambo Number Mive

From that website I see one venue in Gosforth is including a £5 "table charge" for reservations until they re-open fully on the 17th May. It's not refunded if you do turn up, which seems a bit steep.

Are non-refundable "table charges" something typical of the industry or is this something new?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gosforth-bar-defends-5-table-20401453