Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Series 1. Gervais doesn't kill himself because he looks over and realises the dog needs feeding.

Series 2. Continues to feed dog while inexplicably being regarded as the nicest, kindest man in the world.

Series 3. Dog dies. Gervais kills self? NO. Gets new puppy. "'Cos that's the beauty of life, there'll always be a dog that needs feeding."

Fucking hell this cunt is kind. Not a dry eye in the house.

Ferris

Blue Jam

More of the dog whine sound effect being dropped in as if dogs understand English and they whine on cue when anyone starts talking about sad things? And a whine is just Dog for "Yes human, I understand and am sad too"?

Dogs are more likely to whine when they want attention or they're bored or they see a squirrel through the window or the phone rings FFS

Blue Jam

olliebean

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 10, 2021, 12:33:10 PM
More of the dog whine sound effect being dropped in as if dogs understand English and they whine on cue when anyone starts talking about sad things? And a whine is just Dog for "Yes human, I understand and am sad too"?

Dogs are more likely to whine when they want attention or they're bored or they see a squirrel through the window or the phone rings FFS

TBF you can't really blame Gervais for that as pretty much every dog in all of film and TV has empathy whines dubbed on.

shiftwork2

I would rather pull my ring piece out with a coathanger than watch this drivel.

DJ Bob Hoskins

The Mollusk

Sorry the sentiment wasn't globbed on thick enough in that trailer, what was all that best friend stuff about?? Completely went over my head, this show probably isn't for me.

phes

the more I see of this guy the more I'm wondering if he's lost the magic

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 09, 2021, 11:07:04 PM
Trying to think of a more hackneyed track to play in the back of a trailer with no audio.

...Welcome to the Jungle? The Boys are Back in Town? It's slim pickings.
I was going to say Smashmouth, but that's only if the film was made in the 90's.  At least they stumped up the cash for the Queen recording, rather that getting some prick[nb]I'm sure they are very nice really[/nb] and a ukulele[nb]Might not actually be Ukulele[/nb] to do a slow sad version.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 10, 2021, 12:33:10 PM
I've just realised that Chewie was Han Solos pet dog in Star Wars.  R2D2 was Lukes pet dustbin.

kalowski

Quote from: olliebean on November 09, 2021, 11:00:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim0bpnnkWo

Nobody in the trailer apart from Gervais and the dog. Has everyone else died?
Thought there'd be a bathetic gag at the end, like the dog shits on his bed or something.

frajer

Quote from: kalowski on November 11, 2021, 10:41:38 AM
Thought there'd be a bathetic gag at the end, like the dog shits on his bed or something.

Gervais shits in the dog's bed and then films the dog's baffled reaction, so he has something to watch and cry over once the dog dies. Fuck me that man is kind.

idunnosomename

Quote from: kalowski on November 11, 2021, 10:41:38 AM
jokes? Narrative? No. This is simply a man who loves his dog.

Thought sleeping with the arm round it was a bit much. Never shared a bed with a big dog but I cant believe theyd be having that. It also looks like he might have just fucked the dog

The Mollusk

Quote from: olliebean on November 09, 2021, 11:00:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim0bpnnkWo

Nobody in the trailer apart from Gervais and the dog. Has everyone else died?

I like this idea of a post-apocalyptic take on the concept of "After Life". After All Life On Earth.

<fade in to opening verse of "The End" by The Doors>

"In a world where all of humanity has been wiped out by the inscrutable and absolute obliterating light of one man's kindness, that same one man now walks the earth with his dog in a quest to bravely call someone - something - a tubby little cunt."

<Gervais contemplates the tropical ocean pufferfish in his hand, shakes his head with a brave smile and releases it safely into a nearby pond>

<The camera pulls back to reveal him stood near a solitary grave in an otherwise barren and empty landscape>

<A NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES>

<AFTER LIFE>

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 11, 2021, 11:34:58 AM
"In a world where all of Humanity has been wiped out

...y'know, because it's too offensive and that

wooders1978

Predicted synopsis:
Between season 2-3 he's wrecked all his new found friendships due to being so *ruddy* sad, his bench mate has moved on with new fella, scotch nurse has fucked off - all he has left is his beloved dog - dog dies though, totes heartbreak, then he gets a new one and falls in love again with the puppy, realises he can do this with his bird - back with scotch nurse and friendships repaired - everyone saying how lovely he is and hes the best bloke they've ever encountered - end scene

paruses

What if someone not-kind kills the dog and he goes all John Wick (aided by a kind prostitute). I would 100% enjoy watching a tubby John Wick - all breathless and sweaty but sarcastic (and KIND).

neveragain

Sorry to spoil the fun but yer man stated on Instagram that he would never kill the dog. It could be a lie but I think he knows his super-fanbase would react well to that.

Hat FM

do people hate watch this? i can't even bring myself to do that after the undeniable mediocrity of series 1.

Blue Jam

Quote from: paruses on November 11, 2021, 07:10:12 PM
What if someone not-kind kills the dog and he goes all John Wick (aided by a kind prostitute). I would 100% enjoy watching a tubby John Wick - all breathless and sweaty but sarcastic (and KIND).

John Thicc

Oh gawd, has he watched Nobody and got ideas? I jest, but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rickygervais/comments/qqcy2o/youre_muscly_why/

Would be funny if some bad Russian dudes throw him through a bus window and then he gets home and takes his shirt off and we see the lacerations to his chest spell out ATHEIST

Blue Jam

(I would pay good money to see Ricky Gervais do a geriaction flick ngl)

Blue Jam

Quote from: Hat FM on November 12, 2021, 11:58:12 AM
do people hate watch this? i can't even bring myself to do that after the undeniable mediocrity of series 1.

I hate-watched series 1 and it was bizarre but not quite Derke-level bizarre, not enough to be entertainingly "WTF?". I also sat through the opening episode of series 2 and that was enough, it was just a bit too dull to continue with.

Overall this show is really just too boring to inspire any strong feelings. It's more fun to hate-read all the inexplicable praise it gets from his followers on Twitter and see how they obediently dogpile onto any dissenters.

Cuellar

Yeah, it was a weird hallucinatory disjointed mess but not completely insane like Derek, so I don't think I bothered with series 2.

Blue Jam

I think After Life is a bit like Humanity in that it starts off a bit WTF but by the halfway point it's just noise and you tune out.

Ferris

Quote from: Hat FM on November 12, 2021, 11:58:12 AM

I couldn't even make it through the tedious insanity of Derke. Something this beige had no chance.

I've just remembered the gag where The Rickster sat in a pie and that was the whole thing. What a mess that show was.

idunnosomename

Can't he come up with another show premise where he can play a character who wears a tight-fitting black t shirt and is kind to animals

TommyTurnips

The Derek threads were great. I wasn't signed up here but I was lurkng away and watching along with the insanity with everyone else. All the memes, editing the wiki, unmasking Tadpole Hitler and oh the Derek fan fiction! It was a great time in my life. I haven't even bothered to watch Afterlife though, I've read you all talking about it though and seems like it would be a painful come down after the kindness of Derek. I think I have a fair idea of what it's about.

frajer

Yes, Derek was an absolute fucking demented horrorshow of baffling decisions from an overblown and thin-skinned comedy ego. Well worth the attention and inspiring in its lunacy.

Afterlife is a tepid ITV1 Sunday night comedy-drama with a few swears and nonce jokes thrown in, and not even as good as that description suggests.