Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:04:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

McCartney III

Started by Menu, October 17, 2020, 04:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernice

Only listened to this the once but I like it - some great bits, some dud bits, some embarrassing bits - but the whole thing just put a massive smile on my face.

Nothing is Real podcast have dropped an episode on this, with a touching little dedication to your man Ryan at the end.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: shagatha crustie on December 18, 2020, 08:43:14 AM
Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 18, 2020, 01:28:06 AM
Still doesn't explain why he moved his release date though.

Too close to the anniversary of John's murder?

Well now you're just being ridiculous.

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 11, 2020, 07:57:30 PM
Or he thought - or was advised - that it wouldn't have looked good to release it in the week of the 40th anniversary of Lennon's murder.

shagatha crustie

Twonty Gostelow

I'm glad it's not just me who thought it! The Christmas No 1 idea does tie in with the way he always has a tight grip on his legacy though, so maybe it's a bit of both.

Ham Bap

I really like it. The better songs are a lot better than anything on his last album, which I thought was fine.
I love McCartney, amazing he's still going strong.

Bernice

On second listen, Deep Deep Feeling is fucking superb.

Seedsy

I have the luxury of listening to alot of music with the job I do, and I've hammered this since Friday. . I bloody love it.. It's everything I thought it was going to be. Cracking little record.

SpiderChrist

Long Tailed Winter Bird - fucking love it.

the science eel

Quote from: SpiderChrist on December 21, 2020, 07:42:45 AM

Yeah, that's the standout for me.

Wet Blanket

Not convinced by most of it but love the final track, just him and an acoustic guitar. I think he should release an entire album in that style. He doesn't need to prove to anyone how talented he as a multi-intrumentalist and production whizz. I often find myself liking the acoustic demos of his later work much more than the over-polished official product.

SteveDave

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 21, 2020, 04:38:38 PM
Not convinced by most of it but love the final track, just him and an acoustic guitar. I think he should release an entire album in that style. He doesn't need to prove to anyone how talented he as a multi-intrumentalist and production whizz. I often find myself liking the acoustic demos of his later work much more than the over-polished official product.

That song's from 1992 or 3 though so it might be a case of his voice isn't up to such nakedness anymore.

kalowski

Quote from: SpiderChrist on December 21, 2020, 07:42:45 AM
Oh yes. On right now. This is a great track. Will the rest stand up to this?

Beagle 2

I fucking love it. So happy about this. It's all great and then Seize the Day is pretty ropey and Deep Down is a stinker but then the last track pulls it round. I really didn't think I'd get anything else of this quality again from the old boy.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on December 21, 2020, 05:40:33 PM
Oh yes. On right now. This is a great track. Will the rest stand up to this?
It does! I really like this record.

Menu

Just been listening to the Egypt Station episode of the Take it Away podcast again. They don't half have funny opinions about which songs are good and which aren't. Maybe I need to re-listen to the other episodes again to see if they were always this fucking wrong about everything(RIP).

SteveDave

My Coke Bottle Green vinyl has been delayed. I might buy a normal version and then flog the green one when it (eventually) arrives. They're the only colours that are limited to 3,000 (I believe more copies of the other colours are being made) and are going for stupid money on eBay despite the favt that they don't exist at the moment.

Seedsy

Quote from: Menu on December 24, 2020, 02:42:49 AM
Just been listening to the Egypt Station episode of the Take it Away podcast again. They don't half have funny opinions about which songs are good and which aren't. Maybe I need to re-listen to the other episodes again to see if they were always this fucking wrong about everything(RIP).

Just getting round to Egypt station this week, I bloody love it
The podcast is brilliant, but I have to admit I sometimes question some of their opinions on some songs. But as I have stated, I am new to the post beatles macca party. Utterly kicking myself too. The music I have discovered from this man the last 3 months has been incredible. Not just little undiscovered gems, but already maybe some of my favourite ever tunes. Years of music listening I have missed. Hey ho, better late to the party than never.

Menu

Quote from: Seedsy on December 27, 2020, 12:09:01 AM
Just getting round to Egypt station this week, I bloody love it
The podcast is brilliant, but I have to admit I sometimes question some of their opinions on some songs. But as I have stated, I am new to the post beatles macca party. Utterly kicking myself too. The music I have discovered from this man the last 3 months has been incredible. Not just little undiscovered gems, but already maybe some of my favourite ever tunes. Years of music listening I have missed. Hey ho, better late to the party than never.

I love this, it makes me happy. And I was the same actually. Was obsessive about The Beatles but never really got round to their solo careers. I just thought it would be mostly disappointing. But, man. Macca's 70s output is right up there with anything.

I did however then think the same must be true of Lennon's solo career and, er, it is not. I wouldn't recommend you wasting your time with that.

The way I look at it is, Paul was basically getting 6 songs on each Beatles album. Well his best 6 songs on each of his 70s albums really are up to that high standard.

the science eel

Quote from: Menu on December 27, 2020, 01:02:15 AM
I love this, it makes me happy. And I was the same actually. Was obsessive about The Beatles but never really got round to their solo careers. I just thought it would be mostly disappointing. But, man. Macca's 70s output is right up there with anything.

I did however then think the same must be true of Lennon's solo career and, er, it is not. I wouldn't recommend you wasting your time with that.

Ah, come on. Plastic Ono Band is incredible - it's like the heavier John stuff off the White Album pumped up or dialled down and made sadder. It's not something I play very often (because of what I just said, essentially) but it's easily as great an album as Ram. What makes it different - very different, actually - is that he drags you through the base emotions, whereas Paul makes music that sort of bypasses all that.

As far as I'm concerned Ram, POB and All Things Must Pass are all Beatles-level LPs, soaked in the glow that made the later Fabs' stuff so wonderful. Fair enough if you think John and George lost it shortly after, but those albums are essential for fans.

Replies From View

nothing john lesnnon makes will ever be up there with gales thrillington and the instrumental ram pack

Menu

Quote from: the science eel on December 27, 2020, 10:37:32 AM
Ah, come on. Plastic Ono Band is incredible - it's like the heavier John stuff off the White Album pumped up or dialled down and made sadder. It's not something I play very often (because of what I just said, essentially) but it's easily as great an album as Ram. What makes it different - very different, actually - is that he drags you through the base emotions, whereas Paul makes music that sort of bypasses all that.

As far as I'm concerned Ram, POB and All Things Must Pass are all Beatles-level LPs, soaked in the glow that made the later Fabs' stuff so wonderful. Fair enough if you think John and George lost it shortly after, but those albums are essential for fans.

POB is certainly his best. There's lots of filler though and, as you said yourself, not something that would be listened to very often. ATMP is better but i don't like the production or the tedious noodling on disc 3. But i take your point. I actually prefer George's Living in the Material World album. Some beautiful songs on there. Although they are all directed at God or something. Bit gay that, George mate.

Pauline Walnuts

George Harrison's songs about god are mostly metaphors for whinging about having to pay tax.

Head Gardener

Operty1

Menu

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on December 27, 2020, 12:18:23 PM
George Harrison's songs about god are mostly metaphors for whinging about having to pay tax.

Ha ha!

Menu

Head Gardener

Japanese edition has 4 bonus tracks

'Woman and Wives (studio outtake)' loses the drums and percussion and starts off very similar to the master version (in fact the vocal for verses one and two sounds identical to these ears), but the middle section ("When tomorrow comes around..") is completely different. Paul sings unfamiliar lyrics and a completely different melody. It's clearly an early version, since I think he's definitely improved it for the master version, but it's fascinating nonetheless. Also verse three has different lyrics as well.

'Lavatory Lil (studio outtake)' is an entirely acoustic version of the track and there's nothing from the finished cut present in this version. In fact, although I was damning about this song in the McCartney III review, I think this solo Paul-and-acoustic-guitar rendition gives it some much needed charm. It feels more of a casual throwaway ditty without all the production and the shouting backing vocals. Interesting!

'The Kiss of Venus (phone demo)' is fairly much what it says on the tin. Paul sounds like he's literally hit record on his smart phone and played an early version (which starts with verse 2) of the song. He's mostly got all the structure and lyrics sorted and it's an intimate rendition.

Finally, Slidin' (Düsseldorf Jam) is Paul and his band jamming an instrumental, embryonic version of the song. Lots of bluesy guitar and it all sounds very polished in a slight 'Flowers in the Dirt' kind of a way. This isn't at all in keeping with the rest of the record but, again, it's a fascinating listen.

https://www.the-paulmccartney-project.com/album/mccartney-iii-japanese-edition-limited-release/

The Bumlord

Quote from: Operty1 on December 27, 2020, 06:58:43 PM
McCartney mixtape; Superb Weirdness

https://youtu.be/ajOA9GHQPV0

Whoever runs that YouTube account has done incredible multipart documentaries on both the Beatles and Macca, all on that channel.

Menu

Quote from: Utterdrivel on January 01, 2021, 01:27:31 PM
Whoever runs that YouTube account has done incredible multipart documentaries on both the Beatles and Macca, all on that channel.

Thanks for the heads up on those. Yes I think the 5 part L&M documentaries have been mentioned on here before. They are excellent - so much never-seen-before footage that I was pretty sure it must have been produced by someone with Apple/MPL connections.
Spoiler alert
If I remember correctly the 'broad thrust' of them is that Lennon was gay for Paul. That's what it seems to build to.
[close]
But, in any case, they are well worth people's time. They certainly changed my view of their feud in the 70s.
Spoiler alert
The text in the closing scene that they had booked a studio in early 1981 I haven't seen anywhere else though.
[close]

Will now check out the Macca ones. Thanks, Utterdrivel.