Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cigarettes & Alcohol by Oasis is the greatest song of all-time

Started by itsfredtitmus, December 10, 2020, 01:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Over on Twitter, Simon Price has been pontificating about Oasis.

https://twitter.com/simon_price01/status/1355303096549830657

I like Pricey (although I no longer follow him on the bird app) and I'm no Oasis mega-fan, but I don't get the point of making these negative declarations, knowing it'll result in a pile-on from fans of the band.

They're so irrelevant in 2021.

Rizla

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 30, 2021, 05:12:44 PM

I like Pricey (although I no longer follow him on the bird app) and I'm no Oasis mega-fan, but I don't get the point of making these negative declarations, knowing it'll result in a pile-on from fans of the band.

Mitch Benn in the replies there. With his EU flag and union jack and my shit sci-fi book out now. What a fucking cunt.

daf

I think having the worst production EVER is more of a problem (than the speed of the songs)

I mean, listen to [I Got] The Fever - it's got a great chorus, but there's no 'punch' at all, as everything's squashed into this tiny little box of mush - leaving the drums sounding like someone tapping on some tin-foil with a pencil!

AMATEURS!

kalowski

He's absolutely spot on.

In other news, the greatest song of all-time is "Get Off Your Ass and Jam" by Funkadelic.

rue the polywhirl

The best song of all time is Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran. 8 billion people on Spotify and YouTube can't be wrong!

markburgle

Cigarettes and Alcohol is the only song where they lived up to their whole bad-boy image in song. The rest of their songs have quite drippy lyrics when you get down to it, but this one's quite nihilistic. Exciting to hear in a pop single. Proper rock n roll, that

Jim_MacLaine

I thought it was obvious the greatest song of all time was Hey Love by The Delfonics not ruined covered by Oasis as far as I'm aware.

idunnosomename

i was in a pub in merseyside and right, wonderwall came on the telly and everyone stood up and masturbated

easytarget

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 31, 2021, 02:50:32 AM
i was in a pub in merseyside and right, wonderwall came on the telly and everyone stood up and masturbated
ON Merseyside you soft southern bastard.

easytarget

Pauline Walnuts

Tweet 1: I Hate this semi-popular thing. Over 20 years after their peak.
Tweet 2,3 & 4: Ooh, Ain't I edgy hating this semi-popular thing. Over 20 years after their peak.
Tweet 4+ You're all going to be talking about ME ME ME ME! But I'm going to mute everyone, lol.

I can't even... No wonder the Melody Maker closed. Over 20 years blah blah

Scrolling down a bit more,

Ooh.

crankshaft

I mean, he's right about Oasis, but it seems so pointless to be carrying on as if he might win this time and that Romo will finally be a thing 25+ years after the fact.

That's what rubs me up the wrong way about Simon Price, and indeed the rest of the Chart Music crowd - music journalists from another epoch going on and and on AND ON about their old musical causes as if it's a battle to be won.

the science eel

Most people - even the naysayers - were kind of behind the band at the time. I'd put good money on the fact that they could all be seen swaying in a pub to 'Some Might Say' just before closing time. At least once.

crankshaft

Quote from: the science eel on January 31, 2021, 03:38:55 PM
Most people - even the naysayers - were kind of behind the band at the time. I'd put good money on the fact that they could all be seen swaying in a pub to 'Some Might Say' just before closing time. At least once.

No. Not me. I thought they were shit right from the off. Everything about 90s male culture that was shit boiled down and concentrated. No artistry; a fear of the unknown; a suspicion of non-conformity. I wouldn't have been seen dead singing along to one of their songs, never mind bloody buying one.

Replies From View

I think a good test for whether Oasis is any good is to listen to their cover of I Am The Walrus and ask if they seem to make the most of the opportunity ladled to them.  If the answer is NO THIS IS SHIT then the answer is NO THEY ARE SHIT

Oz Oz Alice

I think their cover of I Am The Walrus is the best thing they did. It's still not great.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Their cover of I Am the Walrus is awful. I liked Oasis in the early days, but even at the time I was amazed that they'd managed to turn an incredible swirl of funny/sinister psychedelia into a lumpen quagmire of bar chord tedium.

They never really understood the point of The Beatles, did they? The Beatles were a witty, innovative pop group who were constantly pushing themselves forward. They're full of colour and life: the antithesis of Oasis.

And I say all that as someone who thinks Noel had a knack for melody during his brief heyday.

the science eel

Quote from: crankshaft on January 31, 2021, 05:54:58 PM
No. Not me. I thought they were shit right from the off. Everything about 90s male culture that was shit boiled down and concentrated. No artistry; a fear of the unknown; a suspicion of non-conformity. I wouldn't have been seen dead singing along to one of their songs, never mind bloody buying one.

No, fair enough. I was thinking more of music journos.

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 31, 2021, 08:02:06 PM
Their cover of I Am the Walrus is awful. I liked Oasis in the early days, but even at the time I was amazed that they'd managed to turn an incredible swirl of funny/sinister psychedelia into a lumpen quagmire of bar chord tedium.

They never really understood the point of The Beatles, did they? The Beatles were a witty, innovative pop group who were constantly pushing themselves forward. They're full of colour and life: the antithesis of Oasis.

And I say all that as someone who thinks Noel had a knack for melody during his brief heyday.

Agree with every word.

I seem to remember that IATW cover getting a fair bit of praise by people who should know better, too.

crankshaft

Quote from: the science eel on January 31, 2021, 09:04:54 PM
No, fair enough. I was thinking more of music journos.

I can imagine that Taylor Parkes and Simon Price hated them from the off and never let that go. But still arguing the toss all these years later? Stop trying to make Orlando happen; it's not going to happen.

markburgle

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 31, 2021, 08:02:06 PM
I say all that as someone who thinks Noel had a knack for melody during his brief heyday.

Strange thing with Noel was the way he stopped nicking other people's ideas. Everyone played spot-the-riff/melody with early Oasis, but oddly that free-wheeling attitude did seem to loosen him up and improve his own ideas too. The end of that brief heyday coincided with the end of his blatant plagiarism

Quote from: crankshaft on January 31, 2021, 09:39:30 PM
I can imagine that Taylor Parkes and Simon Price hated them from the off and never let that go. But still arguing the toss all these years later? Stop trying to make Orlando happen; it's not going to happen.

This song by Orlando is lovely, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hcB4qkFkM

I'm awfully fond of the Chart Music gang, they've made me laugh so much over the last few years. I agree that they can be exasperatingly stubborn when it comes to certain subjects*, but I don't listen to their podcast to nod along with everything they say.

* Pricey, mind you, admits that Supersonic by Oasis lives up to everything that the band supposedly represented. It swaggers, it's a sneering rock song with attitude. Stick it on now and it still sounds great.

non capisco

Pricey is usually self-deprecating about the commercial prospects of Romo whenever it occasionally comes up on Chart Music. There have been numerous cracks about how no-one turned up to the tour gigs. It's not like him and Taylor are still feverishly plotting ways to make DexDexTer happen.

Like Ballard I'm massively biased towards the Chart Music gang but even if that podcast had never existed I'd appreciate anyone still ragging on Oasis in a world where that pigshit thick, woman's throat grabbing, bullying cock Liam Gallagher has somehow become something of a fondly thought of national treasure.

SteveDave

It's Simon Price's hypocrisy on Chart Music that grinds my gears and has turned me against religion. He calls out Oasis for their sexism and homophobia one minute and the next he'll be licking punk rocker Steve Jones' arsehole. 

crankshaft

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 31, 2021, 10:22:30 PM
This song by Orlando is lovely, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hcB4qkFkM

Yeah, it's OK (and I knew which song it was going to be before I clicked, because I've heard the album and it's the best song on it). They were by some great distance the only band from the whole Romo thing with any talent or notability at all. But they were never going to be a thing, especially when the British masses wanted turgid Stella anthems.

Quote from: non capisco on January 31, 2021, 10:39:13 PM
Pricey is usually self-deprecating about the commercial prospects of Romo whenever it occasionally comes up on Chart Music. There have been numerous cracks about how no-one turned up to the tour gigs. It's not like him and Taylor are still feverishly plotting ways to make DexDexTer happen.

Exactly. Taylor is nothing if not utterly self-deprecating, and Pricey can laugh at himself too.

Like Ballard I'm massively biased towards the Chart Music gang but even if that podcast had never existed I'd appreciate anyone still ragging on Oasis in a world where that pigshit thick, woman's throat grabbing, bullying cock Liam Gallagher has somehow become something of a fondly thought of national treasure.

Staggering, isn't it? Liam Gallagher was caught on camera grabbing a woman by the throat, the evidence is there for all to see, and yet here he still is in 2021: an apparently lovable Britpop elder statesman. Nope. He's always been a total wanker.

As for Noelly G, I'll admit that I found him quite funny and personable whenever he turned up on the Russell Brand radio show. But then he'd go and spoil it all by coming out with a load of ill-informed, reactionary bollocks*. He thinks Corbyn is a Communist, for fuck's sake. I don't expect trenchant political analysis from Noel Gallagher, that's not what he's for, but he strikes me as a fairly bright and quick-witted man who is nevertheless inherently conservative.

* Which Brand would usually call him out on, to be fair.

Quote from: crankshaft on February 01, 2021, 10:46:43 AM
Yeah, it's OK (and I knew which song it was going to be before I clicked, because I've heard the album and it's the best song on it). They were by some great distance the only band from the whole Romo thing with any talent or notability at all. But they were never going to be a thing, especially when the British masses wanted turgid Stella anthems.

It's their only good song, I agree. Taylor and Simon presumably knew in their heart of hearts that Romo would never succeed, but I understand why they felt compelled to hype it up - as a futile act of rebellion, if nothing else.

Quote from: SteveDave on February 01, 2021, 09:44:51 AM
It's Simon Price's hypocrisy on Chart Music that grinds my gears and has turned me against religion. He calls out Oasis for their sexism and homophobia one minute and the next he'll be licking punk rocker Steve Jones' arsehole.

I like The Specials as much as anyone else with ears, but Jerry Dammers wrote some really nasty, reactionary, misogynistic lyrics. Neil and Pricey have acknowledged that, to be fair, but can you imagine how they'd react if Noel Gallagher had ever written anything along those lines? Not that he ever would or could, as Noel's lyrics are largely meaningless, but they would never let him get away with it.

To reiterate: I really like the CM gang, they're good people, and I'm not vociferously arsed about their occasional double standards. We're all guilty of that sometimes.

Spiteface

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 01, 2021, 11:14:51 AM
It's their only good song, I agree. Taylor and Simon presumably knew in their heart of hearts that Romo would never succeed, but I understand why they felt compelled to hype it up - as a futile act of rebellion, if nothing else.

I like The Specials as much as anyone else with ears, but Jerry Dammers wrote some really nasty, reactionary, misogynistic lyrics. Neil and Pricey have acknowledged that, to be fair, but can you imagine how they'd react if Noel Gallagher had ever written anything along those lines? Not that he ever would or could, as Noel's lyrics are largely meaningless, but they would never let him get away with it.

Noel Gallagher has always been judged more harshly than most of his peers back then.

Like, he listens to The Beatles! The fucking NERVE!

There were/are plenty of bands that were every bit as derivative as Oasis, and they got nowhere near the amount of shit for it. I don't care if you love or hate Oasis, that is just what I've observed.

Quote from: markburgle on January 31, 2021, 09:40:19 PM
Strange thing with Noel was the way he stopped nicking other people's ideas. Everyone played spot-the-riff/melody with early Oasis, but oddly that free-wheeling attitude did seem to loosen him up and improve his own ideas too. The end of that brief heyday coincided with the end of his blatant plagiarism

I never had a problem with Noel's plagiarism; as you say, he'd nick bits and pieces from other songs and build something new around them.

Cigarettes & Alcohol is the Get It On riff fused to a different melody and chord progression. She's Electric ends with the rising harmonies from With a Little Help from My Friends, but the rest of the song sounds nothing like it.

By his own admission, Half the World Away is the chord sequence from Bacharach's This Guy's in Love With You played backwards (sort of), but the melody is completely different. The Importance of Being Idle is a rather nifty '66 Kinks pastiche, but it doesn't actually sound like a specific Kinks song. And I honestly believe that Noel had never heard How Sweet to Be an Idiot by Neil Innes when he wrote Whatever. Ripping off a Rutle? That's too good to be true, it must just be a coincidence.

Pretty much everything he's written in the last 20 years has been utter toilet, though.

I've spent far too much time writing about Oasis this morning.

gilbertharding

Romo has an entry in the edition of Chambers Dictionary I happen to own.

I quite liked Oasis when they first happened, but it was quite disorienting to have been a fan of psych/indie/grunge music in the years 1987-1993 and suddenly have a version of this stuff suddenly become completely mainstream. The only preparation for me had been the occasional TotP appearance of The Smiths or Happy Mondays or whatever.

In fact, my honest reaction to watching Oasis's appearance on The Word was "Fucking hell - are they really trying to make out that a Stone Roses Tribute Act are going to be the next big thing?"