Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:29:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GVIINNER: cunt's gone bananas

Started by madhair60, December 27, 2020, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

jobotic

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 29, 2020, 05:57:09 PM
Request to kill the Glinner orchidectomy discourse permanently please

I agree, for reasons I've mentioned here before.

Alberon

I was googling "Pope Ted" this afternoon and found an interview with Arthur Mathews in The Irish Times which had this to say about Linehan.

QuoteLike most people, I became aware of Mathews in the 1990s, when he rose to prominence for creating the seminal comedies Father Ted and Big Train with his fellow Hot Press alum Graham Linehan. While the latter has recently stepped back from comedy to focus on being banned from social-media platforms, Mathews has remained in work, teaming up with Matt Berry to create Channel 4's cult-comedy favourite Toast of London and writing several books in various guises.

Linehan is a bad joke throughout the media these days.

mippy

Quote from: stonkers on December 29, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
Nah this is the original, written by "Limbo90" https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Draft:The_Staniland_Question&oldid=994572111 It's been edited a few times today.

This reads like it's been written by someone who has never actually used Wikipedia before

JaDanketies

Quote from: Graham LinehanI was able to step into the debate because I had the safety net of an insurance payout for a small touch of cancer.

link

GoblinAhFuckScary

Danketies, ok. My point is less to do with your assessment being correct it's more why is this relevant?

It's fine documenting his shitey griefhole downfall, but more often I'm finding some people's level of glin knowledge to be a little obsessive (you went back to his very first post?) and my feelings are that some of the empathy towards trans people is only tangential to glinner shadenfreude and it's making me uncomfortable and suspicious of peoples' intent.

Yes I do know this is the glinner thread but it's also one of the only places trans lives are discussed at all and pretty sure it was the entry-point for a few other trans people to cab? idk what i'm trying to say. Don't mean to come across aggy

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 29, 2020, 05:00:08 PM
He's trying to create his own version of the Staniland Question now, called 'Is Eddie Izzard a lesbian?'

To which the only appropriate answer is, "who gives a shit."
Eddie Izzard has routinely described herself as "a lesbian in a man's body" FOR FUCKING YEARS. oh wait i forgot that all trans women are liars

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

PS rebut the Stanisland Question with the Troll Question: "Do you believe male-sexed homosexuals should be allowed to undress in communal changing rooms with teenage boys?"

jobotic

The real answer is

ask either one what the other guard would say and go through the opposite changing room door.

JaDanketies

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 29, 2020, 08:10:19 PM
Danketies, ok. My point is less to do with your assessment being correct it's more why is this relevant?

It's fine documenting his shitey griefhole downfall, but more often I'm finding some people's level of glin knowledge to be a little obsessive (you went back to his very first post?)

I actually Googled 'Glinner substack cancer'.

Someone asked earlier itt how this all started and there was some hypothesising. I do agree that there's not really any point to the answer, it's not like there's going to be a feature-length movie on it or that anyone will read his memoirs.

Anyway one love <3. My contributions to combatting transphobia are now merely reporting posts on Twitter; I've got a few accounts in my sights.

I can't really deny that my interest in Glinner's downfall is schadenfreude. He's far from the most influential transphobe nowadays. Back when he was on Twitter he was a real problem but now he is marginal. I'm interested in keeping on top of him specifically - and Staniland - because they both said I was a pedophile while leading massive pile one against me when my son was two months old. So I want to be there smiling when they find rock bottom.

DrGreggles

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 29, 2020, 08:27:43 PM
I actually Googled 'Glinner substack cancer'.

Top result just said "yes he is".

frajer

For most people the real Staniland question will be "what the fuck's the Staniland question, can I please just go for a piss mate?"

Blue Jam

Isn't The Staniland Question something to do with penises*? If my surname was Staniland I wouldn't be too pleased with that association or be encouraging people on the internet to strengthen it. I'd be about as pleased as Rick Santorum must be with what his surname came to represent.

*Nobody answer that for me please. I don't care and I really don't want to know.

JamesTC

The Linehan Question

Does Graham Linehan constantly talk about underage girls in the shower?

PlanktonSideburns

im never learning what the stanisland question is

ever

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on December 29, 2020, 05:20:15 PM
I still don't actually know what the Staniland question is. I like to imagine it is like those questions you ask robots to make them blow up.
you could probably ask Graham "what is love?" and his head would asplode.

Jockice

He's mentioned in the book I was reading last night. I'm Not With The Band by Sylvia Patterson. She describes him as 'genial.' Mind you, it was published four years ago. It would probably be 'genitally-obsessed' nowadays.

DrGreggles

Quote from: JamesTC on December 29, 2020, 09:01:12 PM
The Linehan Question

Does Graham Linehan constantly talk about underage girls in the shower?

The Linehan Answer

The transphobe is near, but the transphobe's family are far away.

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 29, 2020, 09:07:19 PM
you could probably ask Graham "what is love?" and his head would asplode.

TRAs won't hurt me, won't hurt me, no more.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 29, 2020, 09:29:22 PM
The Linehan Answer

The transphobe is near, but the transphobe's family are far away.

That would be a gender critical matter, your holiness

Menu

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 29, 2020, 09:36:40 AM
My mate lost a bollock to cancer and has managed to survive without becoming a bigot, so I don't think that's a reason for Glinner's behaviour.
Far more likely that he's always been a cunt and he's gone bananas.

Obviously it doesn't happen to everyone. But it's likely it may have had an effect on this person, along with a number of other factors.

idunnosomename

#CUNT'S
            GONE
                    BANANAS

Menu

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 29, 2020, 06:34:14 PM
Really I feel it's an extreme leap in reasoning with piss-poor evidence.

WELCOME TO THE THREAD!

MojoJojo

I think the trauma of having cancer might have contributed to his obsessive behaviour. I think the idea that it was testicular cancer contributing to him obsessing about trans issues a bit silly.

PlanktonSideburns

Never liked villain origin stories

Spoils the magic

pigamus

It's no sillier than the IT Crowd thing.

Zetetic

It seems quite a lot sillier, because we can actually see him responding to criticism of Fight.

phes

If he wrote a comedy about bollock cancer would it be worse than AfterLife? It might even have been like After Life as he has also lost his wife, spent all his time in front of a laptop and developed a superpower of bullying children

DrGreggles

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 30, 2020, 09:41:15 AM
I think the trauma of having cancer might have contributed to his obsessive behaviour. I think the idea that it was testicular cancer contributing to him obsessing about trans issues a bit silly.

Admittedly not a massive sample size, but the people I know who've had cancer and pulled through have emerged with a far more positive mindset than they had previously. They've all seemed invigorated by the experience and adopted a 'seize the day' attitude and, while I don't want to run marathons or climb mountains with them (I've got a note from my mum), I find their lust for and love of life pretty inspiring.

It's obviously a traumatic experience, but I find it difficult to establish a link between surviving cancer and becoming a bitter bigoted bully.

jobotic

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 30, 2020, 10:30:33 AM
Admittedly not a massive sample size, but the people I know who've had cancer and pulled through have emerged with a far more positive mindset than they had previously. They've all seemed invigorated by the experience and adopted a 'seize the day' attitude and, while I don't want to run marathons or climb mountains with them (I've got a note from my mum), I find their lust for and love of life pretty inspiring.

It's obviously a traumatic experience, but I find it difficult to establish a link between surviving cancer and becoming a bitter bigoted bully.
My brother lost a bollock to cancer some years ago.

It did send him a bit loopy in that he was obsessed with being ill again whilst also becoming quite self-destructive. Thankfully he's through all that.

What he never did was become a bigot who stalked those he was bigoted towards. Because he wasn't one before the cancer. So why the fuck would he?