Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:30:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ted Lasso Season 2

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 23, 2021, 08:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I think it is a bit harsh to say that America only steals its ideas from other countries. There are loads of good original sitcoms from the US

I think the "poor reaction" to season 2 might be more confined to here than you think as well. Looking at IMDB it still gets decent scores and lots of reviews have praised it. I think there has been a bit of a second season slump but, in popular opinion, it isn't as bad as people here are making out

BeardFaceMan

Yeah almost every review I've seen of Lasso is of the 'going from strength to strength' variety, this place has literally been the only place I've seen anything negative about the 2nd season. Not to mention all the Emmys and nominations it's getting. Quite baffling really, to me, and most others here it seems, because there's a very obvious and undeniable drop-off in quality. It feels a little like bandwagon-jumping, the first season was a suprise hit, everyone wants to get in on season 2 and is saying how awesome it is even when it very clearly isn't it, just to be seen to be liking the new hit comedy. It's so positive and feel-good!

I'd also say the trend for positivity or niceness (if there is one, I'm not really seeing it in many shows other than this one) is due to the pandemic, I'm not sure the show would have been as popular if it wasn't airing during it and people wanted a break from the bleakness of life. There are always shows like Parks & Rec or Big Bang Theory on in the US, saccharine schmaltz is what they do.

Fry

Glad for this thread, felt I was going insane seeing so many positive reviews around twitter and the like.

I started watching as season 2 started. Absolutely rushed through the first season. Despite not liking it at first I warmed up to it fairly quickly. Season 2 though? Jesus, so saccharine it feels insulting. The arc where the players realise they are shilling for an evil international corp that has been raping one of their player's home country. So they cover the sponsor with tape and ask the owner to fuck them off and she's like "Yeah go on then".

"I know we've been on a spectacularly shit run of games with an unpopular manager, we're haemorrhaging supporters and have warehouses full of unsold merch but yeah let's fuck off our biggest sponsors. This is all fine and there are no negative consequences because God forbid there be an ounce of drama or tension that lasts for longer than one scene."

Just shit for babies.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 22, 2021, 07:34:52 AM
Yeah almost every review I've seen of Lasso is of the 'going from strength to strength' variety, this place has literally been the only place I've seen anything negative about the 2nd season. Not to mention all the Emmys and nominations it's getting. Quite baffling really, to me, and most others here it seems, because there's a very obvious and undeniable drop-off in quality. It feels a little like bandwagon-jumping, the first season was a suprise hit, everyone wants to get in on season 2 and is saying how awesome it is even when it very clearly isn't it, just to be seen to be liking the new hit comedy. It's so positive and feel-good!

I'd also say the trend for positivity or niceness (if there is one, I'm not really seeing it in many shows other than this one) is due to the pandemic, I'm not sure the show would have been as popular if it wasn't airing during it and people wanted a break from the bleakness of life. There are always shows like Parks & Rec or Big Bang Theory on in the US, saccharine schmaltz is what they do.

This AV Club piece is interesting as a number of writers discuss the show, the majority still seem to like it but there is a fair amount of criticism - https://www.avclub.com/halftime-report-how-s-ted-lasso-holding-up-in-season-2-1847597183 - and the most recent episode was poorly received - https://www.avclub.com/ted-lasso-takes-a-narrative-detour-without-a-whole-lot-1847693163

Otherwise I haven't been able to find any negative reviews (though my search wasn't intensive) which is odd, as this has gone from a show where I used to watch it the day a new episodes came out, whereas now I'm a few behind and right now I'm really not sure if I'm going to bother finishing it as I'm really struggling with the show now.

peanutbutter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 22, 2021, 07:34:52 AM

In the case of the Emmys they are for season 1 and would've largely been voted on before season 2 revealed itself to be such a dud. Even without that I think it just had a bit of an open goal this year for a lot of awards, the fact it has several nominations in a few and still won really highlights how weak everything else must've done.
As far as reviews go, TV criticism has always been and still is fucking dogshit and on a lag from actual feelings as things sink in (see also how well received the first few seasons of bingey netflix trash were). We'll be seeing multiple "Let's all admit it, Ted Lasso wasn't that good" articles in the Guardian right before season 3.

I def think the pandemic had to play a part in how badly written season 2 of this is; like, people writing it in winter being like "why don't we try and keep things nice for once!" and convincing themselves thats a good idea and feeling very good about it.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 22, 2021, 11:37:33 AM
I def think the pandemic had to play a part in how badly written season 2 of this is; like, people writing it in winter being like "why don't we try and keep things nice for once!" and convincing themselves thats a good idea and feeling very good about it.

I think Sudekis splitting from his wife had something to do with that too. I don't think it was an accident series 1 featured an American going through a marriage break up while he is overseas and his family isn't, either.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 22, 2021, 11:37:33 AM

As far as reviews go, TV criticism has always been and still is fucking dogshit and on a lag from actual feelings as things sink in (see also how well received the first few seasons of bingey netflix trash were). We'll be seeing multiple "Let's all admit it, Ted Lasso wasn't that good" articles in the Guardian right before season 3.

TV criticism usually is a lagging indicator, professional critics have to "keep in touch with the public" so they rarely say something's great (or has turned to shit) until the audience vote is in otherwise they'll get sacked for not reflecting the views of their readership.

I do wonder a little if being the big hit of the pandemic is going to work against it (whether it's going downhill or not), in that when and if the pandemic ever ends people are going to shy away from anything that reminds them of hiding at home wondering if that cough means they only have weeks to live

BeardFaceMan

This has given up all pretence of being a comedy now, it's a flat-out drama with some light bits. Awful stuff.

frajer

You know when your boss' dad dies and you all go the funeral? No, me neither.

Pffffft what absolute bollocks. I actively dislike this show now, and it fascinates me what a horrendous thing it's become because I really liked the first season. It felt humble and sparky where this is bloated and up its own arse. All of the characters are now awful and the showrunners clearly thinks it's offering up incredibly profound statements on life when it's characters trot out endless cliches. The Rick Astley singing at the funeral made me cringe so hard I wanted to climb into the coffin myself.

And both this and the Beard-centric ep were 45 minutes, for no reason other than the show clearly rates itself as something "deeper" than a comedy show. How can a football sitcom possibly encapsulate the entirety of the human condition in a mere half hour?

BeardFaceMan

I think all the praise for the first season made them disappear right up their own arses. Take out the swearing and you could be showing this on Sunday evenings on ITV.

studpuppet

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 26, 2021, 01:54:31 PM
I think all the praise for the first season made them disappear right up their own arses. Take out the swearing and you could be showing this on Sunday evenings on ITV.

A bold statement - I haven't seen cunnilingus on ITV in that time slot since the days of Highway.

easytarget

I'm trying to think of a show that had a bigger drop in quality that this did between the first and second season of something - maybe True Detective?

I quite liked the Beard episode the rest was rotten - very good performances, terrible storyline, first-draft-home-by-five scripts.

BeardFaceMan

It's so bad I was going to stop watching but we're so close to the end now, I have to see how far it sinks. Well, end of this season anyway, season 3 is already a go but I can't see me coming back for more.

BeardFaceMan

Oh god, another extended ep. I know I said I'd make it to the end but I don't know if I have the stamina for this.

Mr Faineant

Interesting that noone has commented on the finale yet.

Spoiler alert
The Nate storyline is stupid. Are we to believe that his feelings are valid, or that he's a fucking mentalist?
[close]

Crap season, anyway, glad it's finished.

frajer

Heh I watched this yesterday and almost commented but it was so dire I couldn't quite muster it. As you say, absolute crap, and again dragged out to 50 minutes this week. I counted one actual laugh, which was entirely down to the wonderful Sam Richardson.

And yeah by far the most dog plops stuff was the
Spoiler alert
Nate storyline. I think we're meant to think his grievances are legitimate, but he's also the villain because he can't BELIEVE, which in this patronising cartoon world of fridge magnet morality is the biggest sin imaginable. But it's been set up and handled so poorly it's unclear. Oh and the final shot where Nate breaks the fourth wall to walk right up to camera to deliver a menacing wink was the most cringeworthy thing I've seen on telly for a good while. It did squeeze a second laugh from me, but from sheer disbelief.

In contrast to Richmond FC, I saw this season out but definitely won't be back next season.
[close]

phantom_power

I don't think we are supposed to be on Nate's side but we are supposed to sympathise with him. He has been neglected or abused for most of his life and Ted was the first person to treat him well. Then when, in his mind, Ted neglected him for Roy, it hurt him and mixed with his growing confidence to turn into a toxic egotism. Deep down he hates himself and is externalising that onto anyone who slights him in any way. HE has never had any validation before and now it has gone to his head and he doesn't know how to deal with it. His story could have been a very simple one of "timid person who has been neglected gets validation and grows confidence" but they went with something a bit more complex and interesting than that.

It ties with pretty much the core ideal of the show which is about why people are the way they are, not just that they are that thing. I think Nate is one of the people who didn't see the therapist as well, so his deeper issues haven't been addressed. He rips up the sign because he is lashing out at Ted, not because he doesn't believe.

gotmilk

I don't know why I'm still watching the show, as I think it's mostly a load of sentimental drivel, but the Nate plot is actually the part I like most. It comes closest to questioning season 1's twee "Kindness is Magic" style premise, and feels psychologically honest in its depiction of a vulnerable and insecure person being granted a position of power. The actor who plays Nate describes it pretty well here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickmohammed/status/1446498835686064135

BeardFaceMan

That might have been the worst series of comedy I've ever sat through.

chveik

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: gotmilk on October 10, 2021, 10:12:12 AM
I don't know why I'm still watching the show, as I think it's mostly a load of sentimental drivel, but the Nate plot is actually the part I like most. It comes closest to questioning season 1's twee "Kindness is Magic" style premise, and feels psychologically honest in its depiction of a vulnerable and insecure person being granted a position of power. The actor who plays Nate describes it pretty well here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickmohammed/status/1446498835686064135

Honestly, if you have to tweet out a load of plot points to explain what going on, that's bad writing. Going on about how "show, don't tell" is better and then having to tell everyone after the fact how it makes sense is a bit eating your cake and having it too.

Eukrate

Not to defend this show too much, but I do think Nate's progression this season is fairly straight forward and that tweet explains things that were already there, or points out things you'd notice more on a second viewing. So I'm seeing is Nick Mohammed doing us a favour and by laying those details out in a single post so theres no need to go back and endure that season again.

gotmilk

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 10, 2021, 02:53:58 PM
Honestly, if you have to tweet out a load of plot points to explain what going on, that's bad writing. Going on about how "show, don't tell" is better and then having to tell everyone after the fact how it makes sense is a bit eating your cake and having it too.

I think Nate's arc is pretty clear from the show itself, at least for a lot of viewers. The tweet actually does a good job outlining all the times his story was shown rather than told to the audience explicitly. The actor is just explaining the thought that went into it, and some of the subtleties that viewers either missed or only picked up on in a subconscious way.

I find it odd that so many people seem to dislike one of the few aspects of the show which feels rooted in real human behaviour, rather than a bunch of saccharine think-pieces about positive masculinity, overcoming trauma, setting healthy boundaries, the value of communicating your emotions etc. I think these themes are far more interesting when they are expressed through characters who are seriously flawed rather than through characters who struggle for half an hour before quickly learning their lesson via their friends' support and empowering therapy-speak week after week.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Eukrate on October 10, 2021, 03:24:36 PM
Not to defend this show too much, but I do think Nate's progression this season is fairly straight forward and that tweet explains things that were already there, or points out things you'd notice more on a second viewing. So I'm seeing is Nick Mohammed doing us a favour and by laying those details out in a single post so theres no need to go back and endure that season again.

Ha, second viewing.

About his tweet, my feeling about the spitting was not that he was spitting at who he was becoming, but rather he was spitting at the "weaker" man he was leaving in his wake. Obviously he knows the character better than me, so this was a surprising bit of insight.

dead-ced-dead

Just to add my thought: I also thought Nate's progression and Nick Mohammed's performance was one of the few interesting things to happen this season. It felt a lot more earned than the rest of the (as Gotmilk says) more saccharine After Life/Derek aspects of the show, of which there were many.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 10, 2021, 03:55:13 PM
Just to add my thought: I also thought Nate's progression and Nick Mohammed's performance was one of the few interesting things to happen this season. It felt a lot more earned than the rest of the (as Gotmilk says) more saccharine After Life/Derek aspects of the show, of which there were many.

For me it was just too extreme. Yes, I prefer this darker side of the show I suppose, but someone behaving that way is not normal or relatable, it's bonkers. It is the same as the overly nice crap in the show, it's just wearing a different costume.

phantom_power

The difference between this and Derek or whatever for me is that Lasso seems heartfelt and the sentiment is baked into the show, with the ideals being espoused being ones that the creators genuinely believe. It may be ham-fisted but it is honest. Derek just has the occasional lip service paid to "niceness" so they can get away with more offensive shit. I don't think sentimental and deliberate always means cynical

BritishHobo

Sorry to hear you all ended up let down by the second season. I've just finished a bingewatch of it, and I always find I enjoy shows more on binges than week-to-week - most likely because there's no downtime inbetween in which to analyse an episode individually. If one isn't great, it's straight unto the next.

That said, I enjoyed it overall. It definitely felt in the earlier episodes that they were losing the thread a bit (and the football plot was a bit stuttery - going from the run of draws, to the equal amount of wins and losses, to the terrible Wembley loss, to being up for a promotion), but I just enjoy the characters nonetheless. I don't think I agree that it's anything like #kindnessismagic, because I think it's at all times aware of the shittiness of people in a more grounded way then Derek. The toxicity of some fans, the way mental health is discussed, Tartt's cunt dad. There are definitely moments of unrealistic optimism (them just fucking off Dubai Air with no consequences was a big one), but I think it features just the right amount of reality for the show it is, which has obviously made the decision to go for that optimistic tone. It's nice to have a show where the niceness comes from people actually understanding each others' mental health and individual motivations, than Derek/After Life's broad-to-the-point-of-meaningless "be nice to everyone nice because being nice is nice" stuff.

Nate's turn was definitely my highlight of the season, and very well-performed by Nick Mohanmed, who really blew me away. I thought it was really nicely-developed. You expect his bursts of anger to either just be little bits of misjudged sitcom meanness (see: later seasons of Friends), or a saccharine thing where they bring him back down to earth at the end and he apologises for letting it get to his head. But it dovetailed into quite a fresh character study, fascinating to see the hatred and and anger at himself, and at the whole environment that's led to him becoming a cunt. That scene with him and Ted was great shit.

phantom_power

I like that you could sympathise with him without ever really agreeing with him

Noodle Lizard

Sorry to bump the thread, but I've just caught up with both seasons over the past week or so. You're all absolutely correct, of course, the gulf in quality between Season 1 and 2 is astonishing. I ended up close to hating it, even though the first season was mostly lovely.

Someone made the point that this felt like a Season 5, and I think that's bang-on. They've run out of stuff for most of the characters to do, and the few plots which threatened to be interesting were either lazily resolved and dropped entirely. There was no weight to anything in Season 2, yet it felt as though they were confident that this would be more "serious" and "dramatic" than the first one. Some of the subplots were pure Hollyoaks.

I also don't have quite the same fondness for Roy Kent. Not because the character himself is especially bad (although it's not great either), but because Merchant Navy is a dreadful actor. Astonishingly so, at times. I wondered if I may be judging him unfairly because of his involvement in Derke, but my (mercifully) Derke-ignorant wife was the one to point it out. Even the way he stands is wrong.

The Beard-focused episode was really poor, I thought, and actually ruined the character somewhat rather than developing him in any meaningful sense. It was as garden variety a "dream episode" as you could ask for, but nothing about it was interesting or good. I'd argue even Skins(!!!) did a better "dream episode" than that. The less said about the Christmas one the better. Obviously these two were hastily written on request of the network, but there's so much more they should have done with that opportunity.

I could go on, but you've all said it better than I could. I suppose I'm just airing my disappointment, since I went from watching Season 1 last week and really liking it to being angry that it even exists this week.