Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:07:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Chappelle - The Closer

Started by up_the_hampipe, October 04, 2021, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Fair enough, would have thought that in these kinds of things it would go without saying that you don't have to care.

Cold Meat Platter

Don't have to and don't are not the same thing. You don't have to care about us voicing opinions about Chappelle.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on November 30, 2021, 11:41:26 PMI'll try to be clearer, discussion of metanarratives without grounding in being able to discuss the work itself leads to shallow analysis, more of a celebrity culture thing than a comedy discussion thing

Sure if people want to focus on celebrity culture in this hypothetical discussion that you're inventing that isn't taking place.

Look, I expressed a view, was pressed for clarity on it and was willing to be accommodating. Whatever's happening now is the result of that and I don't think anyone's inventing anything.

Avril Lavigne

Don't tell me to look, I'll use my senses how I see fit.

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on November 30, 2021, 10:56:03 PMI'm talking about that specifically in the context of him being seen as one of the greatest comedians of all time. Was he really perceived that way outside of the media or was that just marketing? That's why I find the tally interesting.
Being on Def Jam at 19 and having a critically acclaimed HBO special before he was 30 gave him a lot of cred as a stand-up and he was definitely rated highly by other comedians. Unfortunately, all the praise and money went to his head and left holes in his brain

13 schoolyards

Chappelle's Show was pretty hit and miss at best, but "I'm Rick James, bitch" was a massive comedy catchphrase amongst regular, non-comedy obsessives for what felt like years. Whatever his many flaws then and now, he did have a level of fame that probably wasn't healthy

FiremanJim

Funny how the Jussie Smollett thing popped up because the only stand up bit by Chappelle I've seen was his routine where he hilariously mispronounces his name. For some reason the audience immediately fall about laughing at this. Absolutely baffling.

https://youtu.be/wZXoErL2124

Nice boiler suit though.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: a peepee tipi on December 01, 2021, 12:59:02 AMBeing on Def Jam at 19 and having a critically acclaimed HBO special before he was 30 gave him a lot of cred as a stand-up and he was definitely rated highly by other comedians. Unfortunately, all the praise and money went to his head and left holes in his brain

I can confirm this is true, 'cause it's exactly what I imagined happened and I'm often right.

dirkgonnadirk

i know i'm bumping a thread that 'has not been posted in for at least 90 days', but...

Quote"Listen, no matter what they said about The Closer, it was still the most-watched special in the world. And I am still of the mind, and I say this with all humility, it is a masterpiece. And I challenge all my peers. My peers. To make its equal. They cannot. I am sure. It will be decades before you ever see someone in my genre as proficient as me. I am maybe a once-in-a-lifetime talent. "

how did no one post this yet?

Wow!
I got halfway through "what's in a name (la la la la)" and had to turn it off. After buttering up the audience by praising a few of the old teachers, he may as well have just been literally sucking off his own cock on stage.

FalknerHinton

Now there's your most-watched Netflix special of all time.

QDRPHNC

Mostly silence, just the sound of the edges of Dave's shoes scuffing against the stage as he writhes around in the fetal position. "Come on Dave!" yells a man from the back. A smattering of applause. Silence.

Famous Mortimer

He must be so pissed off that "Nanette" got all those critical plaudits.

checkoutgirl

Quote"I'm better than every instrumentalist, artist, no matter what art you do in this school, right now, I'm better than all of you. I'm sure that will change. I'm sure you'll be household names soon."

Either he's doing some long form bit or he's completely disappeared up his own arse. This is why I'm uncomfortable with the Mark Twain award and giving comedians tens of millions to go on Netflix.

Absolute money and awards corrupts absolutely.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 12, 2022, 05:37:55 PMMostly silence, just the sound of the edges of Dave's shoes scuffing against the stage as he writhes around in the fetal position. "Come on Dave!" yells a man from the back. A smattering of applause. Silence.

It goes on for hours, becoming increasingly uncomfortable viewing, like the Prime Minister shagging a pig in that episode of Black Mirror.

wrec

Ironic and maybe predictable that one of the most prominent "wokeness is killing comedy" purveyors is putting out joke-free rants instead of actual comedy. No other comedian is getting money thrown at them for a filmed "speech" about being an oppressed genius. His career is playing out like a petulant millionaire version of Lenny Bruce.

Dr Rock

Netflix sometimes just starts showing something new/related after what you're watching finishes. I was watching Tig Nataro (v good) then Netflix is like 'you'll probably enjoy this Dave Chapelle next.' And it was a load of shit.

RicoMNKN

It's an odd show, isn't it?  Usually speeches at this type of thing are humble and encouraging to the students rather than a big self-aggrandising rant.

Also, he was getting acclaim for "woke" shows like 8:46 only a couple of years back.  It feels that his reaction is mostly a response to being criticised when he's so used to acclaim.