Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disco and Funk and Soul and Boogie (Music Thread)

Started by chutnut, December 17, 2021, 10:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 15, 2023, 06:16:51 PMClassic :)

Putting 2+2 together I reckon you've been listening to this too.

Alright Columbo, which re-edit of this spacey disco have I just been listening to? :D

monkfromhavana

Some great tunes there Oosp, that Herb Alpert one reminded me of this from The Cannonball Run soundtrack, which I genuinely love. Always reminds me of when a few friends and me went snowboarding in France (They went snowboarding, I seem to remember I spent most of the time sat in the apartment, drinking, reading a biography of Stalin and watching T.J. Hooker in French).

Chuck Mangione - Cannonball Run Theme

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 15, 2023, 10:25:37 PMAlright Columbo, which re-edit of this spacey disco have I just been listening to? :D

Ron Hardy?

Mr Banlon

monkfromhavana

letsgobrian

Song writing machine Kyohei Tsutsumi dons the ludicrous pseudonym Jack "Dr Dragon" Diamond and Victor release the first Japanese made disco record, Sexy Bus Stop.

Victor were releasing most of the disco imports at the time, and one of their producers, Satoshi "Hustle" Honda, was involved in nightclub layout and design, so it made sense to cut out the middle man and make their own disco records.

monkfromhavana

Not sure if this should go here or in the house thread.

Isis - In Essense

SpiderChrist

Quote from: monkfromhavana on October 28, 2023, 10:05:35 PMNot sure if this should go here or in the house thread.

Isis - In Essense

Crazy you posted this, I listening to a randon comp the day after and it popped up - I was like where have heard that before 😄

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/148447/Various-Artists-Luke-Una-Presents-%C3%89-Soul-Cultura-Volume-2-Mr-Bongo

Edit: it's the one in the thumbnail now I look

Edit 2: maybe the youtube algorithm was what got me there after clicking you link, it gave me this the next day where they are talking about the comp and led me to search it out.

Edit 3: both those Luke Unabomber É Soul Cultura comps are decent if youre in the mood for some real eclectic shit (they're on Spotify).

Jim_MacLaine

I thought Southern Freeez would be an obvious choice but no one sees to have posted it.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 30, 2023, 04:14:54 PMCrazy you posted this, I listening to a randon comp the day after and it popped up - I was like where have heard that before 😄

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/148447/Various-Artists-Luke-Una-Presents-%C3%89-Soul-Cultura-Volume-2-Mr-Bongo

Edit: it's the one in the thumbnail now I look

Edit 2: maybe the youtube algorithm was what got me there after clicking you link, it gave me this the next day where they are talking about the comp and led me to search it out.

Edit 3: both those Luke Unabomber É Soul Cultura comps are decent if youre in the mood for some real eclectic shit (they're on Spotify).

The tracklist looks interesting, I'll give it a whirl (incidentally that Luka Una interview had popped up on my YT feeds too).

I heard the Isis track on this compilation

https://www.discogs.com/master/246338-Various-Other-Stuff

monkfromhavana

Endearingly bonkers KPM meets Bollywood number

Usha Uthup - One Two Cha Cha Cha

monkfromhavana

Also been digging this one

Debbie Jacobs - Hot Hot (Give It All You Got)

monkfromhavana

This song is probably incredibly well-known and feted, but I'd never listened to this before and by God it's done something to me today. The intro about the song give's it depth and the song itself is amazing, but the 8 minutes at the end is a thing of rare beauty and musicianship. If you're don't have the full 18 minutes to listen to it all, the starts at the 11 minute mark.

Isaac Hayes - By The Time I Get To Phoenix

kalowski

Godlike. I love Isaac.
I love Chuck's tribute too. He came up with the title thinking of Isaac's song way before he wrote the song.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 17, 2024, 05:12:54 PMThis song is probably incredibly well-known and feted, but I'd never listened to this before and by God it's done something to me today. The intro about the song give's it depth and the song itself is amazing, but the 8 minutes at the end is a thing of rare beauty and musicianship. If you're don't have the full 18 minutes to listen to it all, the starts at the 11 minute mark.

Isaac Hayes - By The Time I Get To Phoenix
That album only has 4 tracks on it and 3 of them are among the best songs ever. Absolutely love it.

Although my favourite soul cover of the song is this gorgeous little two-in-one of Jimmy Webb classics

prelektric

Was reminded of this little beauty the other day:

And this thicc disco funk stomper

Might sound familiar to those who are late 90s dance aficionados...

Finally for now - this joyous prime slice of disco funk Herbie - the last couple of minutes of this are so uplifting it makes me cry with joy. Some fantastic bass work going on as well.

Sebastian Cobb

Get your chops around this.

And this

I've really been getting into these MAJ sets. I keep meaning to make a MAJ/Mix series thread but feel I need to do a bit more research to make a coherent opener.

I must have checked out a few of those MAJ mixes over the years without realising they were connected, I thought the plants were an aesthetic for a certain type of youtube DJ 😀.

The boogie mix sounds nice and that Varia mixer looks lush.