Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Van Buren Stan

While in the Netherlands there appears to be an employment crisis
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 05, 2022, 09:26:56 AM

Even starmer could never be as cringe and annoying as mark was in that interview

Buelligan

Quote from: shoulders on July 05, 2022, 10:40:04 AMHowever, that was permissable through the Remain camps arrogance and complacency in the first place, from the years leading to the referendum push, Cameron's doomed ploy within his party to call the referendum and the campaign itself - right up to Remainers who didn't bother to turn up to vote because they thought it was a done deal.

The history of liberalism is stained by accommodations for the far right, believing they can be controlled and mollified through technocratic processes while the far right carry on getting the actual public primed. There is a huge anti-democratic streak running through Pro-EU circles like a stick of rock.

Absolutely agree.  And the way that Starmer really pushed the Remain Second Vote stuff, way after the vote was done, he was prepared to split the Party over it, lost the GE over it and now does this.  The man's a fucking horrible snake. 

Just this, without all the other lies, back-stabbing and purging makes that utterly clear.

Paul Calf

Calling people who still oppose Brexit 'anti-democratic' is a bit rich, I think. There's nothing wrong with pointing out that the referendum is a flawed pattern for dealing with complex decisions demanding a great deal of thought and care, and that one in particular was so filled with lies, and so close in result that it shows Britain for the ship of fools that it is that we allowed such an impactful and far-reaching decision to be decided by such an ill-conceived triviality.

I would argue that a politician who made this case would be more courageous and honest than one who didn't, but would probably be a far less successful politician; or at least not a representative for very long.

What we're seeing worldwide is the end-game in a 50-year plan by far-right reactionaries to strike down the pillars of liberal democracy and trash the institutions built to protect the weak against the strong. Spineless pandering and appeasement have led us here. If it was impossible to make a case for abandoning a flawed result, impossible to find a way to stop the US Supreme Court from striking down numerous civil rights against the expressed wishes of the people then it seems that it might already be too late.

What we need to do is to fix the system that translates popular voice into power. Until we do that, we're just pissing in the wind.

Sebastian Cobb

lol apparently Mark Steyn believed he was breaking an injunction by reporting Starmer got fined by Durham Police on GB News.

For full disclosure I spotted this in passing from an idiot posting a Guido post saying he was an idiot and so were the people on twitter posting it believing the Guido article to be some sort of gotcha, but I think what's happened here is Steyn's been tricked by shitposters (lol) and Guido's too right-wing and petty to give credit to that.

king_tubby

I call him Superinjunction Starmers.

shoulders

QuoteCalling people who still oppose Brexit 'anti-democratic' is a bit rich, I think

This can be true in and of itself, how rich it is doesn't enter into it.

Paul Calf

Sorry, in case it was unclear I'm saying that it is a stupid and counter-productive thing to say.

shoulders

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 05, 2022, 03:02:34 PMSorry, in case it was unclear I'm saying that it is a stupid and counter-productive thing to say.

The level to which something of that sort is productive or otherwise is also irrelevant. What is relevant is whether it is or isn't true and what that means in a wider context. So far you've already conceded it is true, in as many words.

Again, your argument relies on assuming that bringing one point to light counter-productively obscures or dilutes the trespasses and/or motivations and intentions of the other side. It doesn't. They are all relevant and where feasible can be made plain and visible for all to see independent from each other.

elliszeroed

Why does he always look like he has been photoshopped into the picture?

Sebastian Cobb

It looks like Streeting's getting dragged in to the Corbyn libel trial, I think we all missed it given the sources:

I'll jump on the grenade and save everyone giving the DM clicks:
https://archive.ph/2vE6y

And Jewish News, which is mostly reporting Wes' mealy-mouthed justification lololol:
https://archive.ph/zGScz

idunnosomename

People complaining how uncanny valley every photo of Sir Keir looks will go insane when Wes becomes leader

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 05, 2022, 04:53:44 PMPeople complaining how uncanny valley every photo of Sir Keir looks will go insane when Wes becomes leader

I still don't think Cameron's been beat on that.

phantom_power

Quote from: shoulders on July 05, 2022, 03:29:43 PMThe level to which something of that sort is productive or otherwise is also irrelevant. What is relevant is whether it is or isn't true and what that means in a wider context. So far you've already conceded it is true, in as many words.

Again, your argument relies on assuming that bringing one point to light counter-productively obscures or dilutes the trespasses and/or motivations and intentions of the other side. It doesn't. They are all relevant and where feasible can be made plain and visible for all to see independent from each other.

Opposing Brexit is absolutely not undemocratic. Trying to nullify the result might possibly be (though there is a question about how democratic that was in a practical sense) but just being opposed to it isn't

shoulders

Quote from: phantom_power on July 05, 2022, 06:19:42 PMOpposing Brexit is absolutely not undemocratic. Trying to nullify the result might possibly be (though there is a question about how democratic that was in a practical sense) but just being opposed to it isn't

Where did I say it was? People really do like to stuff their own ideas down your throat.

I'm talking about a tendency among a group of people, not a principle. Come on now.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Today by Carole Morgan, OrganiserSupplemental Update

Hello again my good friends and comrades,

I am now in a position to tell you that the date for Richard Millett's case against Jeremy is Monday 10th October in the High Court. Mr Justice Nicklin will preside and the case is expected to last for approximately 3 weeks.

I must also let you know that while we have refunded donations upon request, from the 1st August 2022 we will be unable to do so. This is to ensure that we retain the funds currently available for Jeremy should he need them.

I mentioned in my update of 28th June 2021 that should the case go against Jeremy, he could potentially be liable for considerable court costs plus substantial damages. We have no idea how much that figure would be but anticipate that it will be significantly more than the amount we have raised so far.

I will keep you informed of developments as soon as I learn of them.

With love and best wishes to you all,

Carole xxx

https://www.gofundme.com/f/47gyy-jeremy039s-legal-fund?viewupdates=1&rcid=r01-165701844246-732ae888fc5111ec

Buelligan

We should make sure to bump that link if necessary.

Johnny Yesno

Aye, quite astonishing that the costs could be significantly more than £376,000.

idunnosomename

Peston is somehow even more clueless than Marr and he hasnt even had a stroke

shoulders

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 05, 2022, 10:33:57 PMPeston is somehow even more clueless than Marr and he hasnt even had a stroke

He just wanna suck and fuck

phantom_power

Quote from: shoulders on July 05, 2022, 06:22:18 PMWhere did I say it was?

I don't know. That is what I thought you meant by the word soup you ladled into your last couple of posts. Maybe just say what you mean

Quote from: shoulders on July 05, 2022, 03:29:43 PMSo far you've already conceded it is true

I mean this sort of say you think it is true that it is undemocratic so you can't blame me for thinking that is what you meant

Paul Calf

shoulders

Quote. There is a huge anti-democratic streak running through Pro-EU circles like a stick of rock

"Indescipherable word soup"

KennyMonster

Apparently, the word on the street is that Starmer is getting so incensed with the behavior of Johnson that he's going to resign today because he can no longer support him.

Blumf

Quote from: KennyMonster on July 06, 2022, 10:40:29 AMApparently, the word on the street is that Starmer is getting so incensed with the behavior of Johnson that he's going to resign today because he can no longer support him.

Surprised he wasn't promoted to a cabinet position.

monkfromhavana

At least if Johnson decides to call an election there becomes a slight glimmer of the possibility of a chance of Starmer's provisional Tory party releasing some policy flavours.

Buelligan

Quote from: KennyMonster on July 06, 2022, 10:40:29 AMApparently, the word on the street is that Starmer is getting so incensed with the behavior of Johnson that he's going to resign today because he can no longer support him.

This made me laugh a lot.  Then I burst into uncontrollable sobs.  Am I normal?

Blumf

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 06, 2022, 11:42:51 AMAt least if Johnson decides to call an election there becomes a slight glimmer of the possibility of a chance of Starmer's provisional Tory party releasing some policy flavours.

The plan is to tease the electorate - "Maybe we'll adjust the 20% tax rate, or we could invest in transport... somewhere. But you'll never know unless you vote for us!"

Buelligan

Quote from: Blumf on July 06, 2022, 12:41:53 PMThe plan is to tease the electorate - "Maybe we'll adjust the 20% tax rate, or we could invest in transport... somewhere. But you'll never know unless you vote for us!"

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahhhha.  Bloodly loved this post.

shoulders