Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rail strike next month?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 11, 2022, 10:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I know this is a weird thing to think but you know, if the tories see economic disaster for Britain, through international pressures exacerbated by their handling of the economy, the years of dead growth, Brexit, their handling of the pandemic, the race to the bottom, do you think they're intentionally trying to push for a General Strike so's they can blame the left for everything? 

Because the behaviour of cunts like Shapps doesn't seem explicable otherwise. Can it just be cunt acts like cunt?

Psybro

That's absolutely their next wedge issue now Brexit has gone and the Australian election proved that culture isn't nearly enough.  But it puts them in the position of being seen to be anti-pay, which is exactly the opposite to where Johnson had positioned them.

TrenterPercenter

Mick Lynch Interview

You have to deal with JOB mild sycophancy but mercifully he does shut up and let Lynch speak at length.  It's excellent and worth listening to his views on Marxism, Starmer, the Labour Party, the fact that he doesn't want to tear down society (whatever that means) and oh my god recognising the importance and saying how celebrity culture is not by accident (I was musing on thread very much on this but have been recently think what is the point).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on July 30, 2022, 10:38:42 AMGood but would be a lot better if they included some puppets who weren't supposed to be white men.

Which ones do you propose?

Buelligan

Yes.  I know.  The did have Tintin too or could've used some of the Spectrum Angels at a pinch.  Bit sexist and racist I suppose but then, it was the olden days.

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on July 30, 2022, 10:38:42 AMGood but would be a lot better if they included some puppets who weren't supposed to be white men.

Nepotism seems to be the bigger issue with International Rescue

Buelligan

You're not wrong.  Did you know that Tintin is Mick Lynch's neice (think that's correct).  Bloody disgrace.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Buelligan on July 30, 2022, 01:11:44 PMYes.  I know.  The did have Tintin too or could've used some of the Spectrum Angels at a pinch.  Bit sexist and racist I suppose but then, it was the olden days.
Her name's Kayo (Tanusha Kyrano) now. She drives her own Thunderbird, too.

Buelligan

AND NOW THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like the buses are joining tube and rail in a simultaneous strike.
I reckon I'll be able to hear the whining with the naked ear up in Scotland.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2022-08-05/london-bus-drivers-set-to-strike-on-same-days-as-underground-and-rail-workers

shoulders

Yes, get the fightback rolling.

If you are sympathetic to the cause please take the time to say so to friends and colleagues, this makes a huge difference, also if there's action nearby come along to show support and encouragement.

Jack Shaftoe

What's happened is I've ended up in a situation where I have to try and travel from Chelmsford to London on that Saturday where there's a strike. Hmm.

Fambo Number Mive

Interesting how politicians don't seem concerned about pay rises and inflation when it comes to those earning large sums of money:

QuoteCity workers received double-digit wage rises while people on the lowest incomes were paid annual increases of just 1% in the last year, according to a study that illustrates the ability of better-paid workers to protect themselves from the cost of living crisis.

The CEBR (Centre for Economics and Business Research) said workers in the banking and insurance sector had secured inflation-busting increases together with lawyers, accountants and professional services staff, mainly among those working in London's financial district.

The economic consultancy described the figures as illustrating a "tale of two labour markets" where the "highest earners now enjoy annual pay growth of 10%, while lowest earners see just a 1% rise"...

greencalx

Ah you see that's rewarding innovation.

Johnny Yesno

This video is a bit old now and apologies if it's already been posted somewhere but I've only just seen it:

Eddie Dempsey from RMT answers questions on 'Are Unions being Greedy?': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZe6Pq4hn4

Kudos to Dempsey for not losing his rag. This would have been me:

Buelligan

Wow, saw part of that a while ago but the whole thing's so worth watching.  Makes you really proud. 

https://www.rmt.org.uk/about/national-dispute-fund/

Fambo Number Mive

Latest Private Eye has a piece on how those at the top of the rail industry arent facing the same pay rise restraint as those at the bottom, and talks about some of the money wasted by Network Rail.

Crenners

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 27, 2022, 03:47:24 PMThis video is a bit old now and apologies if it's already been posted somewhere but I've only just seen it:

Eddie Dempsey from RMT answers questions on 'Are Unions being Greedy?': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZe6Pq4hn4

Christ knows why but I happened to watch this live and I was punching the air. Wish he had been my dad. Feel like I made the exact same comment at the time.

greencalx

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 27, 2022, 05:49:34 PMLatest Private Eye has a piece on how those at the top of the rail industry arent facing the same pay rise restraint as those at the bottom, and talks about some of the money wasted by Network Rail.

This is a key point, I think. My own union is currently whinging across twitter and elsewhere about the absolute salaries of senior managers, but this could backfire as it invites people to declare the salaries of the rank-and-file as "enough, surely" (see train drivers). I think the argument becomes a lot more powerful if bosses have seen inflation-busting pay rises but their employees haven't.

Fambo Number Mive

The story isn't on their website but there is a little bit more info in their tweet:

Quote@PrivateEyeNews
No pay rise for striking rail staff, insists government - but the highest-paid executive board member at the Department of Transport saw their pay jump by around 11.8%, to £190,000 last year! Full story in the new Private Eye, out now.

Buelligan

Bernie Sanders dropped by to talk to the RMT last night and give them his support.  Here is his speech -

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greencalx on August 27, 2022, 06:46:11 PMThis is a key point, I think. My own union is currently whinging across twitter and elsewhere about the absolute salaries of senior managers, but this could backfire as it invites people to declare the salaries of the rank-and-file as "enough, surely" (see train drivers). I think the argument becomes a lot more powerful if bosses have seen inflation-busting pay rises but their employees haven't.

I've mentioned this before but an old workplace did a survey about pay gaps across the organisation and the findings were 70% skewed towards men overall but if they ignored the board then it was 51% towards women, or pretty much equal. Naturally the way the company decided to fix this is to try and get more women on the board (which is a good thing) but it did seem grim how so few people could skew everything overall, and narrowing that gap word surely have more benefits to pretty much everyone in the organisation rather than making things better for a very select few and fixing an undesirable statistic.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on September 01, 2022, 10:10:36 AMBernie Sanders dropped by to talk to the RMT last night and give them his support.  Here is his speech -

Mick Lynch's speech at the same event was excellent too:

Mick Lynch speech receives standing ovation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvEIDzEBb0

Buelligan

Yes, it was a great speech, addressing a lot of really important shit.  Loved his comments towards the end about ending outsourcing and subcontracting or forcing employers to give them equal benefits and the structural racism in the transport industry.  I linked it in the EiE thread but it needs linking everywhere.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on September 01, 2022, 10:09:45 PMYes, it was a great speech, addressing a lot of really important shit.  Loved his comments towards the end about ending outsourcing and subcontracting or forcing employers to give them equal benefits and the structural racism in the transport industry.

And 'flags coming out of every orifice' lol

QuoteI linked it in the EiE thread but it needs linking everywhere.

Ah, right, I've not been in there yet.

Buelligan

I loved that bit.  I'm a little bit in love with old Mick.  Just had a lovely thank you from this - https://www.rmt.org.uk/about/national-dispute-fund/ - and all, chuffed as could be.

holyzombiejesus

There's a tedious man at work going on about how the rail union won't put the pay offer to it's members. I remember Mick Lynch refuting this and explaining what was actually happening but can't find it anywhere. Anyone seen him addressing this - I'm sure it's all lies.

Buelligan

This perhaps?

There's also the unrefuted fact that the RMT are negotiating with a large number (fifteen IIRC) of companies, only one of which has made an offer. 

holyzombiejesus

No, it was more recent than that. Last couple of weeks. Thanks though.

olliebean

Strikes next week have been cancelled, btw.