Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Reece Shearsmith character

Started by holyzombiejesus, June 26, 2022, 07:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 27, 2022, 12:32:54 PMOnce saw him walking through Covent Garden in a great hurry, trying not to run, nose in the air, occasionally glancing angrily at his watch. Exactly like one of his characters.

That's really made me laugh.

Stigdu

I've only ever seen him in Inside Number 9, one of my favourite TV shows. He's great in all of them but I thought he was particularly brilliant in Diddle Diddle Dumpling.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 01:59:10 PMI've only ever seen him in Inside Number 9, one of my favourite TV shows. He's great in all of them but I thought he was particularly brilliant in Diddle Diddle Dumpling.

You really like Inside Number 9 but have never watched LoG or Psychoville? Wow. I'm kind of jealous. You've got so much amazing tv to get acquainted with.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 01:59:10 PMI've only ever seen him in Inside Number 9, one of my favourite TV shows. He's great in all of them but I thought he was particularly brilliant in Diddle Diddle Dumpling.

I'd very much recommend The League of Gentlemen. I must confess I haven't seen Psychoville either. I think they're both on Britbox, maybe BBC IPlayer (I haven't looked).

frajer

Mine's Geoff, but Jelly is a close second. Great to see the Psychoville love in this thread.

Not now, Silent Singer!

LordMorgan

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 27, 2022, 10:46:21 AMDunno why but he's one of those actors I can never take seriously in any role. I just see Reece Shearsmith and never any of the characters he's supposed to be playing. Really put me off inside #9 and the league of gentlemen sadly.

I know what you mean, I watched him in one of those true crime ITV dramas abo it Malcolm Webster, a wife killer.

I'm not saying he was bad at all, but it was still couldn't get past him playing this "serious" role.

petril

Quote from: Swoz_MK on June 27, 2022, 10:56:50 AMMr Jelly, mainly for this promo

I love the "boxes full of my magic, you will not believe the stuff I've got in there" and the testimonials line, just full of Vic Reeves energy

poodlefaker

I once went to a friend's NYE party and she'd booked a karaoke guy who was so like Reece/Ollie Plimsolls it was unnerving. He came round with a clipboard: "I'm not forcing anyone, it's JUST A BIT OF FUN". During a lull he started singing himself: a Billy Joel medley. Walking round the lounge, singing while looking and pointing at people.

BritishHobo

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 27, 2022, 12:05:01 PMWho is your favourite Inside Number 9 character he plays? I like the guy in Nana's Party, mainly due to his delivery of the "I'm on a seafood diet" joke.

Yes! It's such a great character and performance, the joyless humour of it all. The repeated 'Mr. H. Allmark' gag. As with so many of his characters it's the horrible claustrophobia of it all.

Stigdu

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 27, 2022, 02:54:06 PMYou really like Inside Number 9 but have never watched LoG or Psychoville? Wow. I'm kind of jealous. You've got so much amazing tv to get acquainted with.

I doubt I'll ever get round to watching them, to be honest. I'm generally not much of a TV watcher... I know there was an episode of Inside No.9 that was centred around the characters of Psychoville (the one with the young couple in the new flat) - it did seem pretty fucking bizarre, but I still liked it.

kalowski

Quote from: Pimhole on June 27, 2022, 09:49:57 AM

Ah, yes, Dean Tavoularis! I love that they named him after a Production Designer.

Jerzy Bondov

Some good arguments here but I can't get past BLOODY HELL MY DARLING WHERE ARE YOU IT'S FRIDAY ARE YOU DEAD

kalowski

daf

I bet he's loving this on The Reece'd & Shearsmith'd laptop!

(I like the furious one who does the DVD commentaries)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Stigdu on June 27, 2022, 04:20:48 PMI doubt I'll ever get round to watching them, to be honest. I'm generally not much of a TV watcher...

That's not the impression you give on the Ricky Gervais thread.

Stigdu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 28, 2022, 12:02:14 AMThat's not the impression you give on the Ricky Gervais thread.

Cancelled my TV license over a year ago, mate. I do watch Netflix though, which is where I caught the Supernature show. So many TV shows I hear are good but haven't seen - Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc. I tend to prefer films to TV.

In answer to the original question - I also liked him in Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room. Superb episode, and very touching.

SteveDave

Quote from: Glebe on June 27, 2022, 01:21:45 AMWhen I finally got around to watching The Stone Tape last year I was really struck by how much Michael Bryant reminded me of Sheersmith.

YOU'RE A COUNTRY LAD, YOU KNOW THE SOUNDS RATS MAKE!

kalowski

I love Geoff:
Here, Brian. You know what they say, don't you? Bummers are deaf.

What do you mean?

Well, they're deaf, aren't they? Bummers are deaf!

I don't know what you're on about, Geoff.

Well I don't know! Mike said it. He was really laughing.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 28, 2022, 12:02:14 AMThat's not the impression you give on the Ricky Gervais thread.

Can we give this a rest please

Bennett Brauer

I've never heard of Reece Shearsmith so he can't be all that good.

Glebe

Kankurette

Edward. As for Inside Number 9...it's hard to say. He and Steve can both do serious and wacky. Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room made me cry and Tommy was definitely one of his best serious characters, as was the creepy fanboy and the vampire policeman.

Does anyone remember TLC? It was like a sort of proto-Green Wing and Reece was one of the leads. Alexander Armstrong was in it.