Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

fuckin love E3 lads.

Started by madhair60, May 11, 2021, 11:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 02, 2021, 08:30:22 PM
Weird that I never clicked with Astral Chain. I didn't like almost anything apart from the music. It's exactly my kind of thing but nope.

How long did you give it? As I remarked in that thread, I didn't like the first hour or so, but I loved it once it got started and got crazy.

madhair60

that's how I feel about all Platinum games really. very much Not For Me

popcorn

With every single Platinum game I play about 3 hours and feel like somehow I am just not connecting with it and stop playing. I've never been able to put my finger on why. I just never get that satisfying "ooh this feels fun" feeling from the movement and combat.

Jerzy Bondov

I really liked Astral Chain but I got about halfway through and was like, yeah okay I get this, that's enough for me. It was great though

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on June 02, 2021, 08:58:02 PM
With every single Platinum game I play about 3 hours and feel like somehow I am just not connecting with it and stop playing. I've never been able to put my finger on why. I just never get that satisfying "ooh this feels fun" feeling from the movement and combat.

this is how I feel pretty much exactly, though I know that one factor for me is that they grade you after every single fight so it's like, i'm crap, so the game effectively is going YOU'RE A SHIT CUNT every fifteen or so seconds

Chedney Honks

I loved Bayonetta, but not really Bayonetta 2 and probably no other Platinum games since then.

I wonder whether it was:

a) that type of combat was very fresh first time
b) the scale of the combat ramped up really well
c) good character combined with me being a wank rat
d) I had more time and interest to really explore the combat and systems which I can't be arsed with any more.
e) definitely all of the above.

Anyway, very much looking forward to E3. I'm nowhere near as interested in gaming as I was, I'd be happy just to play the top tier Sony and Nintendo exclusives and my old Cave games until I completely lose interest or faculties. But I'm still curious and I really enjoy the hype and trailers and element of surprise and all that.

This is the way to do E3 - https://2021.e3recap.com/

You don't have to watch 1 second of the embarrassing press conferences or read one word of drivel from the bickering manbabies.

You can just click on the trailers you're interested in and ignore everything else.

Vanquish is the only Platinum game I sort of got on with, but not for long.
They just feel so hollow, the sort of games I have to make myself keep playing and I can't kid myself for long.

Did you see their Sol Cresta announcement, Honks?
Looks proper Ghost Blade tier! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaTsfzC5jo0

After spending the past year throwing shit at Microsoft for "holding back" their games by making them cross-gen, Sony have quietly admitted that the next God of War, Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7 which were all supposed to be PS5-only are actually coming to the PS4 as well.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/06/02/hermen-hulst-qa-whats-next-for-playstation-studios/#sf246401757

QuoteWhere it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we'll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 03, 2021, 08:05:27 AM

Did you see their Sol Cresta announcement, Honks?
Looks proper Ghost Blade tier! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaTsfzC5jo0

Great link, cheers! I will watch the Sony and Nintendo stuff but that will be great for all the other shite.

And yeah, I did see that. Not massively excited by it (or that series) but I'll inevitably pick it up!

popcorn

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 03, 2021, 08:05:27 AM

You don't have to watch 1 second of the embarrassing press conferences or read one word of drivel from the bickering manbabies.

This is a coward's path.

madhair60

The best part of E3 is catching stuff live so you can laugh at the cringe and roll with the ridiculous hype train. It is the BEST.

popcorn

100%. Love to sneer at their pathetic attempts to get us excited about some AWFUL SHIT. Then if you're lucky you get an actually exciting announcement at the end, and they win.

KONAMI E3 2010: THE GREATEST VIDEO GAME PRESS CONFERENCE OF ALL TIME, THE BEST 100 MINUTES OF ANYONE'S LIFE EVER.

Chedney Honks

That Sony conf with TLG, FF7R and Shenmue 3 still makes me smile and shed a tear and I don't even give a fuck about at least one of them.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 03, 2021, 10:06:48 AM
After spending the past year throwing shit at Microsoft for "holding back" their games by making them cross-gen, Sony have quietly admitted that the next God of War, Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7 which were all supposed to be PS5-only are actually coming to the PS4 as well.

Did Sony do that at all or just some console war cunts? This is simply good news for people who can't get or afford a PS5. Great.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 03, 2021, 11:10:17 AM
Did Sony do that at all or just some console war cunts? This is simply good news for people who can't get or afford a PS5. Great.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-05-29-sonys-jim-ryan-its-time-to-give-fans-something-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

QuoteOne way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Chedney Honks

Fair enough, so it's a good decision they've made in that case to reverse that.

Jerzy Bondov

Hope Limmy streams it again, "It's god damn fuckin Keanu Reeves man!!"

I.D. Smith

I hold out no hope of any Elder Scrolls 6 news, but I'll still keep a small flame inside me. Slightly more hopeful about maybe news of a Knights of the Old Republic remake. Pretty sure there will be some new about the new Mass Effect games. Those are my 3 guesses, in order like a Pointless final round.

My wildcard hope is news of Euro Truck Simulator for consoles. I can but dream.

Chedney Honks

I have no expectations but I fear I'm setting the bar too high.

Kelvin

Have Bethesda made[nb]As opposed to published.[/nb] a genuinely great game since Skyrim? Everything they put out these days is a) mechanically dated, b) buggy beyond belief, and c) brown.

I know they have a lot of good will from the era that ended with Skyrim, but I don't really get why people are expecting their upcoming games to be a huge jump forward for the studio. They've been coasting for years. 

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2021, 09:48:55 PM
Bethesda are shit.

But mods though.

Or something.

Microsoft's problem now, I guess.  Just leave Arkane alone.

robotam

Skyrim was great. Almost as good as Oblivion .

I hope there's a new Syphon Filter announced.

brat-sampson

I have a... weirdly high completion rate for Platinum games, even though I almost uniformly feel like they're too long, or at least the stages are. Finished Bayonetta 1/2, Revengeance, Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain. Not vanquish I don't think for some reason, but I was enjoying it. Also Nier Automata, but that's different.

I know the idea is you then replay them further on higher difficulties/for mastery, but for whatever reason I'm one and done. This time with the exception of Automata, again for clear reasons of Difference.

Sorry, anyway, yeah, E3, fucking love it. A good E3 week and a solid GameTrailers/Easy Allies Betting Special is part of what makes life worth living.

VelourSpirit

Watching it live is the best, getting surprised/disappointed by each title as it comes, or as an iconic character steps out of the shadows etc, rather than just knowing beforehand
Shame the pandemic conferences cut down on live fuckups and hilarious bizarre awkward shit but it's still a great time

Fry

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2021, 09:48:55 PM
Bethesda are shit.

So shit. And it's frustrating because there's a something so unique about their games and the worlds they create (or adapt, in the case of fallout) that make them enjoyable in a way no other developer can match (at least up to Skyrim). The exception being Fallout New Vegas. That game was a taste at what a competent Bethesda would be like. Outer World's shows its not as easy as it looks though.

Quote from: TwinPeaks on June 05, 2021, 06:55:34 AMWatching it live is the best

Nah, no matter how much you numb yourself with booze and snark, it still seeps in.

You have to look after yourself.
I'm more than happy to be a coward.

This is the only iconic character I want to see stepping out of the shadows at E3.

I'll look at the trailers for the daft indie games and go back to my stupid pink bullets, thank you very much.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on June 03, 2021, 09:32:48 PM
Have Bethesda made[nb]As opposed to published.[/nb] a genuinely great game since Skyrim?

have Nintendo made a genuinely great game since Yoshi's Story?

the answer is of course, yes.

bye

Kelvin

I hope you meant Yoshi's Island