Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:48:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is there anyone left on the internet who's never had a death threat?

Started by Icehaven, March 08, 2024, 12:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Reading this article about a bloke who's hobby is collecting VHS copies of Titanic;
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/mar/08/experience-i-own-nearly-3000-vhs-tapes-of-titanic

and this bit leapt out somewhat;

QuoteA lot of people understand what I'm doing and want to help, but then I also get people who ask why I do it. I've had the occasional death threat. The positivity I receive outweighs the negative, and I try to push past bad comments.

I mean...yes I'd agree it's a bit of a waste of time, money and space but death threats?! I'd genuinely love to know the substance of the messages, "How dare you have 3000 copies of the same film on VHS, you're a monster and I'll make sure the world is clear of you and your devil cassettes that have probably mostly degraded anyway and besides no one has a working video player these days do they?" Fucking bizarre. Is there anything left that's attracted the vaguest bit of attention and not also death threats?   

Alberon

I suppose it's the death threats against people for totally harmless hobbies that are the ones you really need to watch out for.

But I've never had a death threat.

idunnosomename

See there is I think there is often a conflation between death threat and death wish. "I am going to find you and kill you" is not the same as "i hope you die you cunt".

Regardless

Fuckin hell

kngen

Have always wondered what the parameters are for what constitutes a death threat.

Does saying 'You're fucking toast, pal!' constitute a death threat? Or urging someone to throw themselves off a building rather than wasting their time 'collecting' one of the most common visual media objects on Earth?

Or does it need more architecture than that - 'I know you go to your local chippy and get a sausage supper at 7.30pm every Thursday. This will be your LAST (sausage) SUPPER, if you get my meaning.'

Asking for a friend ...

dontpaintyourteeth

I've never had a death threat on account of the fact that everybody I encounter online loves me and only wants the best for me

Shaxberd

Quote from: kngen on March 08, 2024, 01:01:31 PMHave always wondered what the parameters are for what constitutes a death threat.

Yes, was about to say that. I don't doubt that people do receive death threats, especially women and minorities who are public figures in even the loosest of senses, but out in the open in public comments it's rarely "I'm going to kill you" but more often "I hope you die" or "kill yourself". Which can still be pretty despicable but I wouldn't interpret it as a threat.

I have been lucky enough personally that the worst that's ever come my way online is drawing the ire of keyboard warriors once or twice, and that time a stranger on Twitter called me a twat because I said Ringo Starr has a silly name.

Alberon

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 08, 2024, 01:01:05 PMSee there is I think there is often a conflation between death threat and death wish. "I am going to find you and kill you" is not the same as "i hope you die you cunt".

Regardless

Fuckin hell

Alberon

Senior Baiano

The Bumlord

Have to admit the urge to kill is rising after seeing that photo.

Verdict = deserved

gilbertharding

Who was it who claimed that they'd had a death threat and it turned out that they'd been told to 'get in the sea'?

Yeah - I was nonplussed a few years ago for being suspended from twitter for telling (I can't remember who - Farage? Trump? Jess Phillips?) to 'fuck off and die' - a phrase we used to happily chuck around with no thought whatsoever.

Fambo Number Mive

Far better these VHS tapes of Titanic end up in his office than on a landfill site. I hope he has children so the tapes can be passed down through the generations.

dontpaintyourteeth

I hope he succumbs to hypothermia while his posh girlfriend floats on a door besides him

M-CORP

I've had a couple of people tell me to fuck off (mostly keyboard warriors, one of whom actually signed in with the username 'FUCK OFF M-CORP' just because I'd compared Alt-J to being like 'Coldplay on helium'), but no death threats.

Which I feel simultaneously proud of, and a bit concerned by... it feels like I'm interesting enough to be told to fuck off, but too dull to be told you're gonna come round my house and do whatever. I mean, you've gone that far, you might as well go the whole hog.

idunnosomename

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 08, 2024, 01:31:35 PMI hope he succumbs to hypothermia while his posh girlfriend floats on a door besides him
isnt that basically his dream every single night

Norton Canes

I'm not sure that 2,682 copies of Titanic on VHS is nearly 3,000 copies of Titanic on VHS. Reckon you've got to be within 5% to be nearly.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 08, 2024, 01:39:42 PMI'm not sure that 2,682 copies of Titanic on VHS is nearly 3,000 copies of Titanic on VHS. Reckon you've got to be within 5% to be nearly.

Finish him!

QDRPHNC

kngen

I was once challenged to a fight in real life via DM (not on here). I accepted because being beaten up over whether or not pop-punk was 'total shite' (my words) was far more interesting than anything going on in my life at that point, but I never heard back from them.

So that's my advice to people who get death threats. Accept them at face value. I'm sure nothing will go wrong after that.

Underturd

I don't remember for definite, but I reckon I've had at least one death threat. I don't think I ever made one, which is a bit disappointing really.

Brundle-Fly

Underturd

Was it red wine? Because if it was red wine then there shouldn't be a chill. That would be the worst thing.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 08, 2024, 02:08:43 PMThat Countdown champion didn't successfully kill anyone but this story still sends a chill.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34775814

Since his book The World Rose has 1.55/5 on GoodReads and 1.7/5 on Amazon, he's got a lotta people still to bottle! Although some of those are people deliberately posting bad reviews to get in a fight with him. Though this seems pretty heartfelt:

QuoteOnce upon a time, a loser who needed another hobby, besides stalking girls, wrote a book. The book was about as fun to read as your mother's obituary but not as nicely written. The dialogue is pure drivel and it overall felt like it had been ghost written by a child.
Speaking of children, the loser wasn't too happy when someone dared to point out how shoddy this was and he decided to assault them. Therefore, the good Professor felt no need to be nice about this abomination.

The whole thing is just God awful, the worst thing I have read. I feel dumber for having read it. This book gives you that feeling that you get just before you're sick and it sticks with you for days...

Terrible book, written by a terrible person, terribly!

QuoteThought I was reading a kids class assignment. Meh. Maybe concentrate more on your writing and less time running around the country assaulting young girls.

QuoteI dare the writer to find me and do what he did to Paige. Won't go as you planned pal

Does the last of those constitute a death threat?

He's written loads more terrible books too! Semi-autobiographical novel Chocolate Hologram gets this:

Quotegod who proofreads your books? your mother 🤣 this is shitty writting at its finest, you should reevaluate what u do for a career.

Jerzy Bondov

No but at least one person on here has put me on ignore which is arguably much worse

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've never been death threatened and I've also never seen Titanic. Coincidence?

king_tubby

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 08, 2024, 01:19:31 PMWho was it who claimed that they'd had a death threat and it turned out that they'd been told to 'get in the sea'?

I was going mention this. Labour MP (hopefully for not much longer) Thangam Debonnaire.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 08, 2024, 01:01:05 PMSee there is I think there is often a conflation between death threat and death wish. "I am going to find you and kill you" is not the same as "i hope you die you cunt".

Regardless

Fuckin hell

At least it would be easy getting him birthday/Christmas presents. His haul on those days must just be a big pile of pointlessly wrapped, identically shaped gifts.

Reminds me of the guy who was on TV because he had every single episode of Eastenders on VHS. Showed him sitting there surrounded by walls full of video tapes marked "Eastenders S12E 124-140" etc.