Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Four

Started by daf, June 06, 2022, 05:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Not a fan of that Saint Etienne track - too handbag house for my ears, which makes sense as it was produced by the prolific cheesy remixer Steve 'Motiv-8' Rodway. It was a remix of the track Accident from the 'St Etienne Daho' collaboration EP that had been released a few months previously (I much prefer that version) and was itself an English-language cover of Daho's track Weekend à Rome.

Not heard that Whale track for years - the video was all over MTV at thet ime and further reinforced that they were probably fans of RHCP. Speaking of MTV, there's a great extended live version of it from Ray Cokes-era MTV's Most Wanted.

I'm sure the guitarist Henrik Schyffert's previous career as a VJ for MTV Europe in the late 80s had no influence at all in the channel's support of the band. He went on to become one of Sweden's most well-known comedians, and was already familiar to TV viewers in Sweden by the time he formed Whale with his then-girlfriend Cia Berg (a Swedish actress and TV presenter, who had been presenting the Swedish pop music show Bagen since the mid-80s) and Gordon Cyrus (who he met while starring in a commercial Cyrus was directing).

The track was 2 years old at this point - it was originally recorded as a one-off with no intention of the band going any further and released in 1993 to little impact. It was then released again in February 1994 (with Taylor Parkes naming it as single of the week in MM), but it stalled at #46 in the UK, though it did quite well mainland Europe and the US, getting to #24 on the Billboard Alternative chart and just missing out on the Hot 100.

This success prompted Schyffert, Cyrus and Berg into taking the band seriously and they started writing songs for an album, We Care, which was released in August 1995. The track was then re-released as the second single off the album in November 1995, where it finally became a Top 20 hit in the UK.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Fantastically they're back on TOTP this week, with a performance Sarah Cracknell fans may appreciate a little more

LordMorgan

Would be good if they covered this episode of totp on CMP to hear Taylor's thoughts on hobo humphin now

dontpaintyourteeth

genuinely perturbed that people don't think that Saint Etienne tune is a fucking banger (because that's what it is)

Norton Canes

Quote from: LordMorgan on March 25, 2024, 03:00:38 PMWould be good if they covered this episode of totp on CMP to hear Taylor's thoughts on hobo humphin now

Also, if whoever cropped that photo ever worked in graphic design again

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: LordMorgan on March 25, 2024, 03:00:38 PMWould be good if they covered this episode of totp on CMP to hear Taylor's thoughts on hobo humphin now

IIRC Neil mentioned he loved it during a 1995 episode, which must have been from around this time as it was still in the charts and he wished it had been played instead of whatever rammel was playing over the chart rundown.

Captain Z

I feel like I should already have been more familiar with the Saint Etienne track, but I felt smug for quickly guessing it was a Motiv8 production. Been stuck in my head ever since so I'm firmly in camp banger.

matjam13

Friday 12th April:
7pm: 21/12/95
7:30pm: 9/4/92
8pm: 11/4/85
8:30 - 9:05pm: 11/4/74
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b/2024/04/12

Senior Baiano

Norton Canes

kalowski

I know we're not supposed to like it because (a) he's a tit, (b) it's hideously over the top, & (c) Jarvis but I have a right soft spot for Earth Song. Love the "What about us?" bits.

cosmic-hearse

Earth Song is genuinely magnificent. Transcendental even. His last masterpiece.

cosmic-hearse

Just remembered that from 1994 were my A Level / college / tentative steps into adulthood years, & that I had a part time job on Thursday evenings, so I would never have seen any of these episodes (which explains why I'm oblivious to so many of these tunes)

LordMorgan

I was also surprised just how impactful earth song felt too there

That fucking video

The elephant coming back to life made me hate fucking humanity whilst also lifting my heart too

LordMorgan

Boyzone back on top of da pops

Even for 90s boy-bands , these cunts were extremely cheesy pap

cosmic-hearse

Enjoyed Boyzone.

Did not enjoy Bono or Blur.

Bjork song is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, wacky big band cack paired with lolrandom costume design seemingly by Noel Fielding.

That's all the B's.

dontpaintyourteeth

I personally think Earth Song is dreadful. Alright cheers.

cosmic-hearse

Nicky Campbell's comment about Sweden being the home of "thrash punk" perhaps displaying a deeper knowledge of kängpunk?*

*it's not, it just Whale stinking up the studio again

LordMorgan

The blur song is fantastic

Boyzone song is bloody gawd awful
Just rubbish. A good song, but they've murdered it. Much prefer the flaming lips version

Quite enjoyed Björk there, but I remember I found that song irritating back in the day
Can't believe she sat on hyperballad for so long
That's her best single

cosmic-hearse

HOT TAKE:
Style Council were the poor man's Wham

DrGreggles

dontpaintyourteeth

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 29, 2024, 08:15:34 PMBono is a right fanny isn't he.

Agreed, in all eras of the man. Personally I find Achtung Baby-era PoMo Bono the worst, musically & aesthetically.

Norton Canes

Duran Duran where they belong, at number one

Icehaven

Enya's doing her song again. Although tbf you can sing The Conga over this one and it fits perfectly.

cosmic-hearse

Elvis Costello's rhythm section absolutely on fire on this song

kalowski

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on March 29, 2024, 08:06:45 PMHOT TAKE:
Style Council were the poor man's Wham
Dreadful take!
They were Weller's one shining moment.

cosmic-hearse

Nah, weak, weak soul. Dare I say a poor man's... Simply Red?