Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:50:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and Horses

Started by Leej88, June 08, 2021, 05:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Surely Pope doesn't need the small amount of money these appearances must bring in?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Shaky on March 11, 2024, 11:36:45 AMSurely Pope doesn't need the small amount of money these appearances must bring in?

How much money is he paid?

idunnosomename

Eh they're work. He's in his mid-60s so not quite retired. Might as well take it while he can.

Headlining at a weird little bar in Dundee is a bit odd though i admit

Fambo Number Mive

Would like to ask Jason who he preferred playing, Del Boy or Inspector Frost.

Imagine if Inspector Frost arrested Del Boy. And Trigger and DS Toolan made faces.

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 11, 2024, 10:59:44 AMTickets available from behind the bar (don't fall through it).

Really laughed at this because I am a simpleton.

Ferris

Quote from: Shaky on March 11, 2024, 11:36:45 AMSurely Pope doesn't need the small amount of money these appearances must bring in?

Suspect he makes a 500-1000 quid a go or thereabouts. What else is he doing (or could he possibly do) that would bring in similar?

And it's not exactly hard graft as long as you leave your critical faculties at the door. Do "The Joke" from 30 years ago, get your photo taken with some parochial weirdos and have a few pints, cash the cheques and see you next week.

idunnosomename

oh he'll get around a grand easily from the ensemble shows, the Dundee thing is probably a bit of fun above all but still not too bad.

The Dundee venue can't be much more than 100 capacity, but that's still £1.5k gross. probably the venue keep bar takings and it's split between him and the promoter, with the other acts paid a flat fee out of their share. probably unpaid support too (some hairy bloke with a guitar or whatever)

he still works in television composition, I imagine he does a fair bit of uncredited jobbing work doing arrangements etc, he seems pretty well-regarded in the industry.

Shaky

Fair enough, maybe I'm being a bit snooty about the whole thing. He just jumps out as a much bigger name than the usual "bloke who played an acquaintance of Boycie's podiatrist in one epusode in 1985" or whatever so I was a bit surprised he seems to be a regular presence at these things. It's essentially no different than doing yer bigger conventions, I guess. Other than Patrick Murray being sick on your shoes at the end of the night.

TheAssassin

Quote from: Sgt. Duckie on March 05, 2024, 06:11:25 PMI'd be asking Fenton-Stevens about his time in the hotel with Mr. Bean

Ask him to reprise his Number One singing career. Phil Pope wrote the Chicken Song and Michael was lead vocalist.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 11, 2024, 12:42:10 PMWould like to ask Jason who he preferred playing, Del Boy or Inspector Frost.
You might get a different answer nowadays compared to ten or twenty years ago. His first couple of autobiographies include relatively little OFAH considering how central it was to his career, and it's pretty clear that, as a proper actor, it annoyed him that he was associated so entirely with one role. I think he admits this himself to be fair. But more recently he's seemed a lot more at peace with it, and has been able to enjoy it a lot more.

TheMonk

Is Patrick Murray at the convention this year or is the curry night in competition to it? With John Challis gone there's a lack of main character actors these days. It's kind of surprising David Jason can be arsed.

Ferris

Quote from: TheMonk on March 15, 2024, 11:10:14 AMIs Patrick Murray at the convention this year or is the curry night in competition to it? With John Challis gone there's a lack of main character actors these days. It's kind of surprising David Jason can be arsed.

Bloke down the front in the full Del getup. Fair enough if not now then when?

idunnosomename

I can only guess the OA events has sprung up to fill a gap as the OFaH Appreciation Society event is only really concerned with fluffing David Jason

QuoteQ) I have a ticket that includes a 'moment with Sir David Jason'. Can I give him a gift?

A) We kindly request no gifts are to be given to Sir David Jason as this will take up all of the allocated time for your photo.

"David, I've brought you a golden Del Boy bobble head from Home Bargains."

Ferris

David I've brought you this list of questions from the chief inspector regarding some of your friends in that wrong-un infested aviation society

idunnosomename

It's funny how they have an excuse.

How about you just photograph me giving him the gift? I made it... myself

Ignatius_S

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 15, 2024, 11:44:07 AMI can only guess the OA events has sprung up to fill a gap as the OFaH Appreciation Society event is only really concerned with fluffing David Jason

I suspect it's more a case of people wanting to exploit commercial opportunities and are geared up to do that. The OFAH society is putting on a couple of conventions, which in itself is going involve a lot more work than the other events being mentioned. Also, the actors are likely to get more money by doing a smaller event.

The convention earlier this year had 'Sir David Jason, Sue Holderness, Nula Conwell, Sarah Duncan, Nabil Elouahabi, Philip Pope, Michael Fenton Stevens, Antoni Corone, Jamie Smith, Peacock, Michele Winstanley, Mark Colleano, Robin Driscoll, Jake Wood, Jean Warren, Gwyneth Strong, Tessa Peake Jones and Jilli Foot'. The one in August is being advertised as having 'other star guest actors' - the wording is spot on because it's only Jason from the main cast (although Sue Holderness is a significant regular) and he's going to be the main draw - especially as there competing events with guest actors.

This is a bit of a tangent but family friend worked for a stamp and postal history shop, which branched out into memorabilia in a big way. Some interesting stories about how the company viewed punters, the late, great Elisabeth Sladen being a class act  (natch) when dealing with the owner and about he would be the one to accompany Tom Baker to conventions (the company had a lot of deals with various actors) which sounded like he had more patience than his colleagues or he was being punished. He and Craig Charles got on well and - no idea how long this went on for - but Craig and him came to an arrangement where he would handle the logistics for appearing at the events, drive him and they would split the money 50/50, which was a nice little earner.

Re: gifts being given - Bruce Campbell has some interesting tales about the frankly, really quite bizarre gifts that he's been given. Although he accepts them with good grace, has said what it can be trying to leave with them.

Also, sometimes there are potentially be boundaries that could be crossed that people want to avoid. I've heard from more than one singer or musician that they've been in situations where fans they regularly chat to at gigs, and who then begin to start giving gifts (or try to) and in some cases, there can be quite odd vibes and the person appears to be reading more into their relationship.

I do recall overhearing someone at a gig for a singer (who probably does attract more than their fair share of obsessive fans) who was irate that they had become more standoffish with them (largely because he wasn't spending a lot of time after the gig chatting to them - they were going to every gig on the tour) and either didn't accept a shirt they bought them for their birthday or it had been accepted, but they had never seen them wearing. And yet, the singer was being standoffish....

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 15, 2024, 10:36:57 AMYou might get a different answer nowadays compared to ten or twenty years ago. His first couple of autobiographies include relatively little OFAH considering how central it was to his career, and it's pretty clear that, as a proper actor, it annoyed him that he was associated so entirely with one role. I think he admits this himself to be fair. But more recently he's seemed a lot more at peace with it, and has been able to enjoy it a lot more.

Yeah - and also, it seems pretty common for people to suddenly be at more peace or philosophical about being so identified with a single role, which in some cases is a tiny fraction of their career. I recall Frances de la Tour saying she's accepted that when she dies any headlines will be 'Rising Damp Woman Dies'.

In the case of Jason, previously he was still doing other work but now, less and this series is going to be his real legacy.

imitationleather

Actually I think something else is going to be David Jason's real legacy...

Ferris

That was always going to be the case though wasn't? He's done other notable stuff (Frost, Open All Hours) but after he Fell Through The Bar that was basically it.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on March 15, 2024, 01:34:58 PMActually I think something else is going to be David Jason's real legacy...

After he goes, I have a mental image of... you know those vaudeville guys who punch a hole in their crumpled top hat after they've been bamboozled or whatever? "Why I oughtta!" type of thing?

That, but it's squat gammon men in leather/wool jackets collectively doing it to their flat caps.

Won't happen of course, as the great man lived impeccably and his long time employer *checks notes* the BBC in the 1970s onwards have a great track record with this type of thing.

Fambo Number Mive

They should have a room in the convention selling miles and miles of carpet tiles.
Quote from: Ferris on March 15, 2024, 11:20:02 AMBloke down the front in the full Del getup. Fair enough if not now then when?

And an Uncle Albert next to him as well.

"David, I've brought you this pony for your pocket. Whoah, girl. Steady."

TheMonk

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 15, 2024, 01:29:56 PMThe convention earlier this year had 'Sir David Jason, Sue Holderness, Nula Conwell, Sarah Duncan, Nabil Elouahabi, Philip Pope, Michael Fenton Stevens, Antoni Corone, Jamie Smith, Peacock, Michele Winstanley, Mark Colleano, Robin Driscoll, Jake Wood, Jean Warren, Gwyneth Strong, Tessa Peake Jones and Jilli Foot'. The one in August is being advertised as having 'other star guest actors' - the wording is spot on because it's only Jason from the main cast (although Sue Holderness is a significant regular) and he's going to be the main draw - especially as there competing events with guest actors.
Robin Driscoll? Writer of Mr Bean? I don't even remember him being in it. Imagine having written some of the world's most famous moments in character comedy and spending your day answering questions about some bit part you did forty years ago.

TheAssassin

Quote from: TheMonk on March 15, 2024, 09:50:00 PMRobin Driscoll? Writer of Mr Bean? I don't even remember him being in it. Imagine having written some of the world's most famous moments in character comedy and spending your day answering questions about some bit part you did forty years ago.

The notso Great Raymondo

Fambo Number Mive

Judging from that video from last year, I imagine the convention will be well attended.

I wonder if people ever show Jason their OFAH tattoes at conventions.

I presume Red Dwarf still has conventions, I wonder what other UK sitcoms do.

George White

TheMonk

Quote from: George White on March 16, 2024, 06:04:52 PM'Allo 'Allo does, I think.
I might organise one where the cast members appear, only dressed as policemen. Called 'Allo 'Allo 'Allo.

Glebe

Quote from: TheMonk on March 27, 2024, 01:01:02 PMI might organise one where the cast members appear, only dressed as policemen. Called 'Allo 'Allo 'Allo.

non capisco

It was on the news earlier that some never before heard Marvin Gaye recordings have been unearthed and given a polish by his friend...

Spoiler alert
[close]