Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Women's Football

Started by Barry Admin, May 04, 2023, 01:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Norton Canes

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Lots of young lasses running around in shorts.

MrMealDeal

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 04, 2023, 02:09:29 PMLots of young lasses running around in shorts.

I was dreading this sort of response when the thread was started

Thursday

Having been a lifelong supporter of the Chelsea men's teams, I've got way more into Women's football these past couple of years. Not sure why that could be.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'll be watching the World Cup for the first time in ages this year. Ireland qualified.

Ayasakura

Greetings. Well, my local women's team got docked 10 points last season for going into administration, got saved when a buyer stepped in less than an hour before deadline, lost their appeal to the FA to have the deficit overturned, went on a winning streak to stay in the Championship, stayed up thanks to scoring off a free kick in the 97th minute of the last game on the last day against Watford (who subsequently got relegated instead), had the goal go viral, squandered all that goodwill by sacking the coach who got them there, failed to sign any players until after the start of this season, scored 7 points all season, and got relegated after ALL THAT.

Coventry United. So I'm pretty pissed off myself, and looking for a team that isn't a complete and utter shitshow.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: MrMealDeal on May 04, 2023, 02:12:25 PMI was dreading this sort of response when the thread was started

Down with this sort of response!

Herbert Ashe

Still got a latent fondness for Turbine Potsdam, watched them lose the Champions League to Lyon at Craven Cottage 2010ish, aside having a proper good name think this has stuck because they are pretty rare now, a woman's team that isn't anything to do with a pre-existing men's side. (this is slightly more aimed at England and the mostly predictable teams we see now, I think it's a bit more forgiveable in european countries where multi-sport clubs are a long-standing thing).

Biggest thing that stops me seeing more of it live is that I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't like sunday afternoon kickoffs as much as saturday afternoons. But I do pop along to Lewes a few times a season, if they didn't play in fucking Crawley most of the time I'd see Brighton a lot more than I do.

Speaking of, slightly grim 3 manager (+ caretaker) season for Brighton. I think Hope Powell probably had come to the end of her time in management, feels like the gradual increase in professionalism has left her style a bit out of date. Don't really know what happened with the ex-Bayern manager after that - the sense seemed to be a bit of a personality clash between him and the squad. From what I've seen Melissa Phillips has got the team a bit more competitive again.

Kankurette

I am still an Evertonian in a sense that I follow the women's team. They piss me off far less than the men, they're not managed by Sean Dyche, and they're a lot better since they got rid of Kirk. The timing of women's games is one reason why I don't go much, though at least Man City's ground is easier to get to. Walton Hall Park is quite near Goodison though.

Btw part of the reason why this thread was started was to keep football talk out of the Glinner thread - the reason why I brought it up there is because TERFs are always twatting on about women's sport but have very little interest in it or any idea about the actual problems facing it. Notts County ditching their women's team, for instance, and the likes of Carly Telford being farmed out to Chelsea.

Senior Baiano

Me before watching Arsenal v Wolfsburg: "Isn't it refreshing to watch football without all the diving, timewasting and general shithousing that disfigures the professional mens game"

Me after watching Arsenal v Wolfsburg:

Senior Baiano

Major men's international tournaments aside, women's football is the only football I choose to watch on TV now.

This is a flawed argument but most televised men's football looks and feels the same. All the stadiums look identical. All the players are outrageously good. All the pundits make the same points.

Women's football feels like a purer version of the sport. Not in a wanky "they don't playact" way - because they do playact. But because it's all about what's happening on the pitch. No bollocks about narratives. No daily transfer rumours. No agro from the supporters. Some of that will inevitably change as it continues to get more popular but at the moment I'm absolutely here for it.

I'm in a slightly odd position of supporting Man City - whose men's team I couldn't give less of a shit about (my men's team play in the ninth tier). When I tell people I go and watch City women they assume I want to talk about the men's team, but I haven't paid attention to the Premier League for years and couldn't even tell you where they are in the table (though I'd guess that they're top).

I did get taken to a City men's game (v Liverpool in the league cup) earlier this season and found it to be such a miserable experience compared to being at a WSL match.

dontpaintyourteeth

So why are so many Arsenal players getting ACL injuries

bgmnts

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 04, 2023, 04:28:55 PMSo why are so many Arsenal players getting ACL injuries

Actually read an article about this, about football boots not being made for women.

El Unicornio, mang

I prefer the crowds at the women's matches as well. Decent mix of ages, sexes, races compared to the crowds at men's game and generally just a friendlier, more fun atmosphere.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 04, 2023, 04:33:05 PMI prefer the crowds at the women's matches as well. Decent mix of ages, sexes, races compared to the crowds at men's game and generally just a friendlier, more fun atmosphere.

Yeah. A lot of people (aggy men) seem to think that a friendlier atmosphere is a bad thing. I've found that crowds at women's games are far more interested in watching the game than - for example - giving it the big one to the away fans.

And despite the fact I was surrounded by young families and opposition supporters at the Euro 2022 final, the atmosphere was far more intense than the atmosphere at the majority of big men's games I've been to.

bgmnts

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 04, 2023, 04:45:01 PMYeah. A lot of people (aggy men) seem to think that a friendlier atmosphere is a bad thing. I've found that crowds at women's games tend to be more interested in watching the game than - for example - giving it the big one to the away fans.

Rember going to the Millenium to watch Wales vs Germany and it just devolved into Swansea and Cardiff fans getting into a slagging match with each other, giving it to their OWN fans. It was a fairly good game in my memory, Ballack scored a proper thundercunt.

studpuppet

I was one of the 1,406 that attended a decade ago, along with my German mother-in-law and two young daughters. The Wolsfburg team ran out looking about a foot taller than their Arsenal counterparts, and were lightyears ahead in ability, technique and athleticism. Meanwhile my mother-in-law inspected Boreham Wood's ground like it was Heysel.

hamfist

Took my 2 kids and a friend each to Elland Road to watch the England - Netherlands Euros warmup game, then later my Mrs took them to Rotherham to watch actual Euros Italy - France.

We're not a football family at all but I wanted my kids to get to watch a match without the toxic crowd shit, and let both my son and daughter witness women being sporting ledgends. We had a great night at both matches, but just not interested in club football.

king_tubby

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 04, 2023, 02:23:49 PMI'll be watching the World Cup for the first time in ages this year. Ireland qualified.

I was reading there's an issue with TV rights, with European companies not wanting to stump up whatever figure Infantino has plucked from his arse.

buttgammon

Infantino's response seems to be to give women's football the respect he thinks it deserves by preventing people from watching it.

dontpaintyourteeth

His name is Italian for baby baby

Brian Freeze

Quote from: hamfist on May 04, 2023, 05:36:06 PMTook my 2 kids and a friend each to Elland Road to watch the England - Netherlands Euros warmup game, then later my Mrs took them to Rotherham to watch actual Euros Italy - France.

We're not a football family at all but I wanted my kids to get to watch a match without the toxic crowd shit, and let both my son and daughter witness women being sporting ledgends. We had a great night at both matches, but just not interested in club football.

We went to Netherlands v Sweden at Bramall Lane for exactly the same reason.

Great day/evening out but it was noticeable that a few blokes acting like blokes frequently do at footy looked and sounded like right twats and spoilt a fair bit of the atmosphere at the back.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 04, 2023, 04:24:41 PMI'm in a slightly odd position of supporting Man City - whose men's team I couldn't give less of a shit about (my men's team play in the ninth tier). When I tell people I go and watch City women they assume I want to talk about the men's team, but I haven't paid attention to the Premier League for years and couldn't even tell you where they are in the table (though I'd guess that they're top).

I did get taken to a City men's game (v Liverpool in the league cup) earlier this season and found it to be such a miserable experience compared to being at a WSL match.

I really enjoyed it, they're a fun team to watch. Roebuck managed to stay pretty calm despite Sam Kerr breathing down her neck for most of the game and Hemp was an absolute menace. I'm surprised Shaw DIDN'T score considering what an absolute beast she was last time I saw her.

After the years I spent at horrible, toxic, depressing Everton matches - and from what I've heard from my brother, it hasn't changed at Goodison and at times is worse than it was in the '90s - and being revved up at Hillsborough, it's refreshing to be in a more chilled crowd. The non-league games I went to were the same. I know non-league football has its problems but both FC United and Grantham had a pleasant atmosphere and it was pretty safe for kids. People seem to think that fans of the women's game aren't 'passionate' but if passion means fighting and aggro and coked-up twats, they can keep it.

Roxy Robinson

It's like football without the coruscating hatred and self-loathing, which are the most appealing elements to some. It's unusual in that you simply enjoy the games and gradually get to know the players by yourself. While technical skills and athletic professionalism have accelerated exponentially over the last decade, there remains an unaffected honesty to the players which reminds me of a time before the Premier League. I can also recommend women's cricket.

sevendaughters

Went to the first Bristol City home game this season in the Champo, thought they looked pretty tasty and not surprised to see they got promoted. Standard was really good.

Norton Canes

Exciting at the top of the WPL innit. Will Manchester United exact a degree of revenge against their local rivals, or will Manchester City complete what will surely be an utter humiliation of them after beating them in the men's FA Cup final and emulating their treble? Or will Chelsea WRECK the party?

Insightful analysis I'm sure you'll agree Clive 

Kankurette

Sam Kerr's at the coronation today, she's representing 'Straya or something.

Kankurette

Jesus tapdancing Christ, Everton, what are you doing.