Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your favourite scenes from plod procedurals

Started by shiftwork2, June 15, 2023, 09:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 15, 2023, 09:20:20 PM'MTV cops' supposedly, and I don't think the show ever did this again

It was constant throughout Vice, actually -- driving scenes set to music like this. Always a belter when it happens. Go look up the Brothers in Arms scene if you don't intend on watching the series. So fucking good. It's a show that's well worth watching the first three seasons of, IMO.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: madhair60 on July 05, 2023, 02:05:39 PMfucking hell that Frank Zappa video made me download all of Miami Vice

Yeah it's well worth watching all of the first three seasons. You can bin it after that if you want, 4 and 5 get hyper-rough even if I like the ending a lot

Sebastian Cobb

Any time Sippowicz is on screen.

I don't even like the show, but there's something endearing, he's like their Tosh.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 06, 2023, 11:45:31 AMAny time Sippowicz is on screen.

I don't even like the show, but there's something endearing, he's like their Tosh.

With a penchant for brutalising suspects which I never saw in Tosh.

Glebe

Coincidence time: Was looking up the actor Roger Sloman on Wiki yesterday morning, popped on the telly and there he is in The Sweeney attacking John Thaw.

This morning's The Sweeney was a televisual delight. George Cole as the mark, John Hurt as what could be the first UK TV depiction of a computer hacker*, a lovely bait and switch just before a nice brutal action scene at the end.

And, well, sad Sweeney end music justified.

*usingwhat looked like what was available at the time, lovely old chonky computers etc.

Mister Six

Has to be this, and I only saw it for the first time yesterday.

Sebastian Cobb

There's an episode of Cracker where Jimmy's got it in for a suspect who reluctantly cleared themselves with an alibi which was working cash in hand while claiming dole. Jimmy is sore about being wrong and says to DCI Wise (Ricky Tomlinson) that they really ought to inform "the soshe" and he just bellows "OH BLOODY HELL JIMMY!".

gilbertharding

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 24, 2023, 09:16:16 AM*usingwhat looked like what was available at the time, lovely old chonky computers etc.

Lovely.

*to a room full of computer studies students* "But first, a few remarks about the VDU, or 'visual display unit'..."

You didn't mention casual sexism with both the 'casual' and the 'sexism' turned up to 120.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Mister Six on July 24, 2023, 02:49:47 PMHas to be this, and I only saw it for the first time yesterday.

Really reminds me of Jerwain in Phone shop declaring "bisexual is gay" - and is all the better for it.

gilbertharding

Today's episode of The Sweeney was the one where Posh Matey out of George and Mildred beats up Arfur English out of Are You Being Served, before running away to gibber in a phone box.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 25, 2023, 03:42:19 PMToday's episode of The Sweeney was the one where Posh Matey out of George and Mildred beats up Arfur English out of Are You Being Served, before running away to gibber in a phone box.

That's a good one. Total bottle job.

gilbertharding

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 26, 2023, 03:17:08 PMThat's a good one. Total bottle job.

A promising career polishing a chair with his Arris on the fifth floor, gone.

There was a nice reversal of this trope was given a outing in the one where posh matey from Bristol gets shot in the power station and his wife who's somehow also a doctor save his life, a few episodes ago.

I like that episode.

"That's why the boss drives in the front", the scene with the young rapscallion and the cut knee, getting him to whistle when he walks past the dodgy house. Lesley Schofield.

shiftwork2

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 26, 2023, 03:17:08 PMThat's a good one. Total bottle job.

I haven't seen it for many years but there's a scene where Regan reports his cowardice to Haskins who looks grave and says something like 'that's a very serious allegation, Jack'?  It makes an effortless connection of respect between the two and also hints that Haskins was nails when he had a proper job.

Christ I need to see The Sweeney again soon.

This morning it was the one with a young James Cosmo. Kaleidoscope slow theme ending. Lovely.

Glebe

Okay it's comedy drama rather than plod procedural but I've been warming to Ray-era Minder of late.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Glebe on August 14, 2023, 12:12:00 AMOkay it's comedy drama rather than plod procedural but I've been warming to Ray-era Minder of late.

The thing about the Ray-era is, if there had been no Dennis Waterman-era, people would have loved it. It was still good, but lost a little of the dynamic because you always felt that Ray wasn't trapped like Terry was.

Also it means there's more screen time for George Cole, which is a big win.

But, on the debit sign....there's no Chisholm, who I think might well be one of my favourite supporting characters in anything.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 24, 2023, 04:11:55 PMThere's an episode of Cracker where Jimmy's got it in for a suspect who reluctantly cleared themselves with an alibi which was working cash in hand while claiming dole. Jimmy is sore about being wrong and says to DCI Wise (Ricky Tomlinson) that they really ought to inform "the soshe" and he just bellows "OH BLOODY HELL JIMMY!".

nearly every scene from when Jimmy starts losing it is ten on ten brilliance as scenes and storytelling but while we're just doing one off scenes I loved when Coltrane does the Bogart "I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful friendship" and Ricky Tomlinson replies with "I doubt it lad", doesn't over-egg the Scouse chippiness too.

Glebe

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 14, 2023, 08:00:07 AMThe thing about the Ray-era is, if there had been no Dennis Waterman-era, people would have loved it. It was still good, but lost a little of the dynamic because you always felt that Ray wasn't trapped like Terry was.

Also it means there's more screen time for George Cole, which is a big win.

But, on the debit sign....there's no Chisholm, who I think might well be one of my favourite supporting characters in anything.

Continued to feature top notch guest stars. Which was nice.

Glebe

Glebe

Was watching a bit of A Touch of Frost last night, so the guy who plays Ray's Dad in Minder is on the force!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Glebe on August 18, 2023, 06:03:59 PMWas watching a bit of A Touch of Frost last night, so the guy who plays Ray's Dad in Minder is on the force!

As well as David Jason's brother, who plays the records office guy.

Glebe

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 20, 2023, 11:37:52 AMAs well as David Jason's brother, who plays the records office guy.

Wait, that's the guy I'm talking about! I stand corrected!

monkfromhavana

No, they're different.

A Touch of Frost is Arthur White.
Ray Daley's dad is Sidney Livingstone.

Fuck knows why I have posted this, but facts are important when you're dealing with the rozzers.

Glebe

I've developed a system to remember this:

A Touch of Frost? - Jason's brother, of course!

Minder on soon? Livingstone, I presume!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Glebe on August 30, 2023, 07:49:51 PMI've developed a system to remember this:

A Touch of Frost? - Jason's brother, of course!

Minder on soon? Livingstone, I presume!

Terry McCann, can, Ray Daley, Fail-y

Glebe

Mustachioed Del - brother appears as well!

Ray's dad in sight - 'tis not Arthur White!

Sebastian Cobb

Not quite plod but I'm watching the last episode of The Lone Gunmen and Michael McKeen has cropped up as a men in black type guy.

gilbertharding

ITV4 has just started another run through of The Professionals*, and it's amazing how, especially in the first series, they seem to have given Gordon Jackson two specific character traits.

1. He has a limp.
2. He likes 'pure malt Scotch whisky'.

I am constantly bemused by the second one, as 'pure malt' is no longer (if it ever was) a phrase which anyone uses to describe Scotch. Single malt, yes - but apparently that isn't the same as 'pure malt', which is frowned on as an expression because it's obscure way of referring to blended (though most blends are based on grain whisky not malt). Nothing wrong with blended Scotch, of course, but it's not something enthusiasts tend to bore on about.

* sometimes The Professionals is a plod procedural, other times it looks as if the producers have watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and thought 'what if Kid's TV?'