Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This TV show intro

Started by famethrowa, February 07, 2024, 12:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Never heard of this show, but blimey what a cracker. So much to delve into.

famethrowa

Butchers Blind

Like the way the intro goes from cop kills 12 year old girl to fun and hijinks with a dog.

famethrowa

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 07, 2024, 01:31:45 AMLike the way the intro goes from cop kills 12 year old girl to fun and hijinks with a dog.

It's just backstory, couldn't they have just said "Cop shoots 12yo girl" and have her arm in a sling or whatever? Oh no, that would have portrayed the "hero" as inept and a bad shot. GRAVE

bomb_dog

With Tequila AS THE DOG.

But the programme is called 'Tequila and Bonetti'. Was the dog called 'Tequila' before the series was made?

Why say 'as the dog', it's pretty clear from the shape, colour and general visual appearance of the character in the introductory sequence that Tequila IS a dog, and there's no reference to 'the dog' in the title.

DrGreggles

Isn't that created by the same guy who did Quantum Leap?

BlodwynPig

Dum dum: In the criminal justice system, The Dog naming crimes are largely ignored because no-one watches the money laundering excuse for a show, partially financed by associates of Jeff Epstein.

imitationleather

This is pretty fucking unrealistic. Everyone knows that dogs only talk when they're telling me to kill all sex workers.

Norton Canes

So cat and dog?

(edit: because 'Bonetti')

Shaxberd

Some cracking additions from Wikipedia:

QuoteEach episode has a montage during which Bonetti plays piano and viewers see odd, sometimes disturbing scenes featuring Bonetti's neighbors and co-workers. Some of these scenes are from later episodes, while others remain unexplained. Each montage ends with Bonetti's memory of the shooting of the girl in New York.

QuoteThe series received negative reviews from critics due to the weaknesses of the scripts, California stereotypes, and an embarrassing ambiguity in the fact of making the dog speak in black street jive.

madhair60

been down LA River

edit: hahaha, fuck

Looks amazing. I have to watch all of these. A racist Hooch with a child killer Turner? Sign me up!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bomb_dog on February 07, 2024, 06:15:10 AMWith Tequila AS THE DOG.

But the programme is called 'Tequila and Bonetti'. Was the dog called 'Tequila' before the series was made?

Why say 'as the dog', it's pretty clear from the shape, colour and general visual appearance of the character in the introductory sequence that Tequila IS a dog, and there's no reference to 'the dog' in the title.

I dunno for sure if Tequila is a feminine name but if someone told me their dog was called Tequila I'd probably assume it was a bitch, which makes the juxtaposition of it talking with a male voice in 'black street jive' even more baffling.

George White

Ah, Jack Scalia, staple of PM Entertainment pictures.
Also the US import in early 90s BBC drama Ring of Scorpio.

madhair60

aren't all dogs "sentient"?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2024, 11:23:18 AMaren't all dogs "sentient"?
not when i've finished with them (i murder dogs)

famethrowa

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 07, 2024, 11:10:10 AMItalian reboot from 2000

Hmmmm this makes me think the Italians were desperate to get their hands on Inspector Rex, couldn't do it at the time and had to settle for this crazy rubbish until they could properly lure Rex away from the Austrians.

Blumf

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 07, 2024, 07:55:45 AMIsn't that created by the same guy who did Quantum Leap?

Yeah. And Magnum, P.I., Airwolf, JAG, and NCIS

"Bellisario was born in Cokeburg"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_P._Bellisario

George White

Quote from: Blumf on February 07, 2024, 01:49:35 PMYeah. And Magnum, P.I., Airwolf, JAG, and NCIS

"Bellisario was born in Cokeburg"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_P._Bellisario
And Tales of the Gold Monkey, probably the greatest TV show (not counting anything starring Britain's favourite gliding enthusiast) to star a nonce.

Yeah, even better than House of Cards or the Jim'll Fix It with the scouts on the rolley-coaster.

Indomitable Spirit

You couldn't move for streetwise talking dog cop shows in the early 90s

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 07, 2024, 12:58:27 AM

Watched this over lunch, it's bonkers and quite cliched at the same time but was reasonably entertaining. May well watch some more episodes if I get sufficiently bored.

George White

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on February 07, 2024, 02:27:18 PMYou couldn't move for streetwise talking dog cop shows in the early 90s

Tales of the Gold Monkey had a dog, not a talking dog, but one that had a glass eye that it kept losing, so it wore an eye patch.

PinkNoise

The surname of the actress that plays the female cop rang a bell so I looked her up. Turns out she's Mariska Hargitay, daughter of bodybuilder Mickey Hargitay and 50s bombshell Jayne Mansfield. She was - along with her brothers - also involved in the car crash that killed Jayne.

Sebastian Cobb

Episode 2 is tonally all over the shop. They're trying to entrap a mad preacher that's been going about raping women, the woman police officer goes out to entrap him and nearly gets raped herself but cop and dog turn up in the nick of time, then they bungle the arrest by forgetting to read the guy his MIRANDA rights, so the (evil liberal) lawyer forces them to let him go. Then he starts stalking and targeting the cop. All the while you've got this jive-talking dog doing faces to camera and pontificating on it all.

George White

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 07, 2024, 06:18:12 PMRepublica Presente..
So much Italian TV has a Chanel 9 feel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_television_stations Filmoj kiuj havas tre sminky-pinky aŭ fikciajn portretadojn de "fremda televido" en la Chris Waddle hethethethethethetheth.