Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Maybe they got confused with 'Voord'.

Replies From View

Yeah they fucked that one up.

kidsick5000

samadriel

Is that a KRS One reference?

kidsick5000

Quote from: samadriel on June 03, 2018, 05:38:12 AM
Is that a KRS One reference?

Yes. As they used to say, I'll get my coat

purlieu

Quote from: purlieu on May 29, 2018, 05:28:41 PM
Next in the 'Fourth Doctor stories with unnecessary Fifth Doctor sequel novels' is The Sands of Time, which appears to be a sequel to The Androids of Mars.
This turned out to be excellent, a nicely unusual story with the Doctor and Tegan's plot being out of chronology from everyone else, a small, well-rounded and likeable set of characters, some interesting twists, and Nyssa asleep for the whole story. Only turned out to be loosely related to The Pyramids of Mars (why did I put Androids before??), but part of the same Egyptian mythology / Osirans concept.
Snakedance was a bog standard Dicks novelisation. Thankfully there are only four of these to go!

gatchamandave

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 03, 2018, 02:18:44 PM
Yes. As they used to say, I'll get my coat

Sorry but,

"I'll get me coat"

Replies From View

Why is everybody getting their coat?  Not especially cold is it?

kidsick5000

purlieu

Goth Opera, then. Another Fifth Doctor story reprising a Fourth Doctor enemy (this time, vampires), although technically it's actually a sequel to a New Adventure, which meant a couple of elements went over my head. Despite my generally not finding vampires enjoyable in any way whatsoever, I enjoyed this one a lot - Paul Cornell is an excellent writer and the writing was pacey and engaging, with a wonderful aside for a chapter involving Romana and Sabalon Glitz, featuring pitch-perfect humour for Romana II's Adams-edited era. A rather epic plot involving turning the Earth to permanent night in order to convert humankind into vampires using some vampire DNA gas, a bunch of well-rounded and wonderful likeable & hatable characters, excellent stuff.

Followed by a very strong telling of Mawdryn Undead which injects a lot more humour, depth and vivid imagery than the TV version managed. Also features the least inspiring Target cover of all time:

Norton Canes

Man, those photographic Davison covers. What were they thinking? I'd post more but they're too dismal.

[edit: OK, they were clearly thinking 'no-one can draw Davison']

purlieu

Yes, they're all utterly terrible. Really flat, grainy looking photos and mostly just plonked on the cover with no real consideration for design. The Mawdryn Undead one is just particularly awful for its absolute beigeness and lack of anything actually happening in the photo.

Some other greats:

This one is wonderful, with its lazy use of publicity shot and staggeringly unnecessary caption "A BBC TV programme with Peter Davison as The Doctor"

And the placement of the photo on this I find utterly hilarious

Replies From View

Phil_A

But you missed the best one!

"Kev, I need you to cut out two of the actors from these publicity stills and stick them on a featureless yellow background the colour of vomit. No, it doesn't matter if you go a bit wonky. No-one will notice."

purlieu

I didn't think that one was quite so bad, but now you mention it

Norton Canes

Quote from: purlieu on June 08, 2018, 11:25:52 PMthe placement of the photo on this I find utterly hilarious

I actually think that's the only one they've got right. The photo's out the way and leaves plenty of space for one of the most fantastic illustrations of the range.

purlieu

The illustration is great, but why is Davison stood in the middle of the logo? They only did this on two books. It looks absurd.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 09, 2018, 02:31:42 PM
I actually think that's the only one they've got right. The photo's out the way and leaves plenty of space for one of the most fantastic illustrations of the range.

Except the logo has been covered up, and there is literally no way of finding out what it is meant to say.  "DOOJOR WHO"?  It's anyone's guess.

purlieu

Terminus is another brilliantly fleshed out novel - running to 40 pages beyond the standard Target - but none of that helps change the fact that I actually don't really like the story. The two main concepts - the Lazars and the Big Bang - are great, but the plot itself never gets beyond tedious for me, particularly Turlough and Tegan going round in a circle and achieving almost nothing for the whole story.

Deanjam

Quote from: purlieu on June 09, 2018, 05:18:56 PM
Terminus is another brilliantly fleshed out novel - running to 40 pages beyond the standard Target - but none of that helps change the fact that I actually don't really like the story. The two main concepts - the Lazars and the Big Bang - are great, but the plot itself never gets beyond tedious for me, particularly Turlough and Tegan going round in a circle and achieving almost nothing for the whole story.

Does Nyssa still randomly strip off in the novel as well?

Norton Canes

IIRC she does what Gallagher intended in the original script and just drops a brooch.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 09, 2018, 05:44:39 PM
IIRC she does what Gallagher intended in the original script and just drops a brooch.

"Tumultuous buffeting" causes her to do it, apparently.

Norton Canes

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 09, 2018, 06:43:48 PM
They've all...

...dropped a brooch?  Or been tumultuously buffeted.

purlieu

Quote from: Deanjam on June 09, 2018, 05:21:00 PM
Does Nyssa still randomly strip off in the novel as well?
Thankfully not.

Enlightenment took me about 45 minutes to get through, despite not being a Dicks novelisation. Generic.
And now an expanded version of The King's Demons. Why must these people torture me?

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Phil_A on June 09, 2018, 12:06:09 AM
But you missed the best one!

"Kev, I need you to cut out two of the actors from these publicity stills and stick them on a featureless yellow background the colour of vomit. No, it doesn't matter if you go a bit wonky. No-one will notice."

Better than the actual story.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: purlieu on June 09, 2018, 05:18:56 PM

I think most of the stories could be fleshed out to full length novels.

I want to see Resurrection of the Daleks by Neal Asher.

Catalogue Trousers

'Oh no, the cover logo is slowly descending to squash me. Best drop to me knees and hope for the best.'

Norton Canes

"Let's see... what picture can we find that really encapsulates what the Doctor is all about..?"

Replies From View

It's good because it shows a progression from Borusa aiming a gun at the Doctor in Arc of Infinity to the Doctor aiming a gun in Earthshock.