Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Road House (2024) - remake with Jake Gyllenhaal

Started by Blinder Data, January 26, 2024, 02:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: bgmnts on January 27, 2024, 12:10:42 AMIsn't it absolutely fucking mental that Polanski was somehow still working and being adored despite being an actual unrepentant sex criminal, on the run from the law? Mostly due to his celebrity mates?

I'm quite cynical to it all but Polanski just blows my mind still.

Honestly not really that surprising - I mean nobody says much about the Led Zeppelin lads, Bowie, Bill Wyman, etc all having sex with minors either, obviously none of them were drugged as far as we know (tho I wouldn't be surprised if they were) but they were all statutory rape/paedo-ing. The idea that you only have to go back 40-50 years for all that to be considered absolutely fine is mental tho yeah.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Goldentony on March 23, 2024, 02:58:20 PMI watched a documentary about this last night, six episodes, because the situation sounded so interesting and by episoded 2 they'd ran out of Ken information and decided the next four would be two unrelated crimes presented as some sort of TWIN PEAKS FUCKING CURSE, it was DOGSHIT and they should be PUT IN JAIL for making it

Yeah, that's a half hour youtube video at best.

SteveDave

Does Gyllenhaal do the weird wrong way head nodding to music that Swayze did in the original?

Mr Farenheit

Roadhouse (1989): "I used to fuck guys like you in prison"
Goodfellas (1990): "I used to fuck kids like that in the ass in the can"

Roadhouse (1989): Mannish Boy plays as an intense dude intimidates a whole bar with some wild pool cue twirling
Goodfellas (1990): Mannish Boy plays as an intense dude snorts cocaine

Roadhouse was FIRST and Roadhouse was BETTER

Dex Sawash

Finished with Road House. Dirty Dancing is a better movie.

Dex Sawash

Going to watch Ghost now which I expect to also be better

Dex Sawash

Should have ended at "a polar bear fell on me"

Blumf

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 24, 2024, 02:22:07 PMFinished with Road House. Dirty Dancing is a better movie.

Prince Andrew likes this post

shoulders

Quoteeven on its own terms this is quite shit

That's all I needed to swerve watching this. Cheers.

Butchers Blind

I concur, this was shit. In the old days this would be a straight to video release which in these streaming days is exactly the case.

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 22, 2024, 08:33:42 PM*breaks guy's arm*
"Umm, so THAT just happened."

I think that is a bit unfair. The jokes were a bit more than that. It was more the flippancy and matter-of-factness of his acknowledgement rather than some sort of needle-scratch moment

I was enjoying this until Connor McGregor turned up. Partly because he is a shit actor, partly because he is a shit character but mainly because that is where the plot goes off he rails. I liked Gyllenhall and thought he handled the comedy quite well. Some of the fights were decent and the characters were all OK. As I said before I have no real affinity with the original so comparisons don't bother me, though I do wonder why it wasn't just its own film (apart from brand recognition obv).

When it went all water-bound it really went off the rails and the final confrontation is ridiculous. There was a mid-credit sequence where McGregor's character is seen to still be alive so they seemed to think he would be popular, though fuck knows why. His grinning face and ridiculous swaggering walk seemed to be coming from a completely different film