Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Notable Deaths 2024

Started by lauraxsynthesis, February 13, 2024, 02:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

kalowski

kalowski

To be honest, I thought The Guardian were a bit harsh here:

Aaron500

Mr Not-so-Soft, what with the rigor mortis.

Real name Steve Nice.

I look forward to a week of pedantically saying: "actually the song is called Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me). Yes, I know it should be Come Up And See Me (Make Me Smile), but it's not."

RIP Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel

dissolute ocelot

^ Which like all the best songs is about how all his band-mates were cunts (or ex-band-mates). I'm not sure how this relates to the existence of Cockney Rebel as a separate entity, but it's a stupid name for a band unless you're a Chas and Dave punk tribute.

Jim_MacLaine

M Emmett Walsh. Reliable 'that guy' character actor and Harrison Ford's boss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68624028

Toki

Tim 'the Tool Man' Taylor's father-in-law, too. I wonder why they killed him off on Home Improvement. I assumed at the time that Walsh had actually died, but then he kept turning up in things. Oh dear, I've revealed that I used to watch Home Improvement.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Toki on March 21, 2024, 04:25:43 PMOh dear, I've revealed that I used to watch Home Improvement.

no way back from this mate

Blue Jam

Wasn't Home Improvement one of those shows like Neighbours that everyone of a certain age remembers simply because it was on after school?

Toki

Yeah, I never particularly loved the show, it was just on. First thing I saw M Emmett Walsh in. He was good at being a surly guy, managed to find humour in playing a humourless guy.

idunnosomename

And it had a cool animated intro.

AHHooohWAAAH?

The artist Richard Serra. Known for big twisted steel scultures like this:

Vortex by Richard Serra

He died on the same day as a twisted steel sculpture bigger than he could have hoped to build was created in Baltimore harbour.

dissolute ocelot

War-mongering US Democrat politician Joe Lieberman, consistently the most right-wing Democrat in the Senate, has gone to meet his maker. As well as being Al Gore's running-mate in 2000 in a feeble attempt by Gore to portray himself as a "moderate", Lieberman was a strong supporter of the Iraq War and of Israel, watered down Obama's healthcare reforms, campaigned against violent video games, supported greater surveillance of the US population, and fiercely opposed Wikileaks and whistleblowers and free speech more generally; in his later years he was also a paid shill for the Chinese government. But he did advocate for LGBT rights, so he was only evil and wrong 95% of the time.

Icehaven

Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on March 27, 2024, 06:51:14 PMThe artist Richard Serra. Known for big twisted steel scultures like this:

Vortex by Richard Serra

Bit of Brasso on that it'd shine right up.

God rest his soul.

jamiefairlie

Sir Larrence Lloyd, he of the massive noggin, has died aged 75.

David Needham might finally get his chance.

Blue Jam

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 28, 2024, 04:52:34 PMSir Larrence Lloyd, he of the massive noggin, has died aged 75.

Good thing snipers don't go to Heaven.

Gulftastic

Lou Gossett Jr.

An Officer & A Gentleman & A Corpse.

George White

Down Deep Inside* ( a coffin)
*(Reference to the theme of the Deep (1977), where he plays the baddie)

Dex Sawash

Mobius

Young actor who was recently good in The Boys spinoff Gen V, sadly dead

https://www.thewrap.com/chance-perdomo-dead/

Aaron500

Quote from: Mobius on March 30, 2024, 11:13:32 PMYoung actor who was recently good in The Boys spinoff Gen V, sadly dead

https://www.thewrap.com/chance-perdomo-dead/

Gen Ex

No Chance (of surviving a high speed motorbike crash)

Chance of a short lifetime

Flat chance

Feel free to come up with some better good ones.

RIP actor I've never heard of

Chance Perdition.

I didn't think I'd heard of him either but it turns out he was the main character in Killed by My Debt which I have seen. So RIP actor whose name I didn't know and who I can barely remember.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 28, 2024, 04:52:34 PMSir Larrence Lloyd, he of the massive noggin

He voiced a cartoon medieval warrior?

dissolute ocelot

Playwright Trevor Griffiths whose Comedians seemed to predict the nihilistic energy of punk. A play which features the same Robert Frost quote as the current Ghostbusters movie. Take that, Slimer. (Griffiths also wrote the screenplay for Warren Beatty's Reds and the ITV series Bill Brand.)

George White

Joe Flaherty of SCTV, Back to the Future II and Freaks and Geeks dead at 83.
A very funny man indeed. RIP Guy Caballero.

Aaron500

Did Sinclair crash his MC5

dissolute ocelot

Joe Flaherty who played the confused but kindly dad in Freaks and Geeks and the Western Union guy in Back to the Future II, as well as appearing on SCTV and doing a lot of stage comedy.

Spoiler alert
[close]

famethrowa

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 03, 2024, 08:47:04 AMJoe Flaherty who played the confused but kindly dad in Freaks and Geeks and the Western Union guy in Back to the Future II, as well as appearing on SCTV and doing a lot of stage comedy.

I thought it was brilliant that the deus ex machina angel of BTTF2 was dear old Count Floyd. Even got to do his very recognisable chuckle at the end.

famethrowa