Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I was already struggling with the concept of Gohenry, what with it being a debit card for children that's supposed to teach them money management skills, but it has a monthly fee and surely a basic money management skill is don't pay a fee for a debit card. But now their latest advert includes the line "Watch your child's eyes light up when they get their first debit card!" and I've realised their whole ethos is obviously bonkers.

Des Wigwam

Watched a fair bit of Freevee the other days because .... can't remember .... they had a load of xmas gift ads and films on in the breaks (not just one break). Weird gifts too - like the sort you would get from those shops in the 90s that sold executive toys and games.

Gulftastic

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 07, 2024, 01:45:16 PMI won't book a holiday with them because the kid in the advert annoys me.

Isn't that deliberate? The casting agency did well to find a kid who gives such good 'smug face'.

JesusAndYourBush

I heard an ad the other day for something that sounded like Spoticar.
(I say *heard* because I was reading the paper or doing a sudoku and not paying attention.)
My first thought was... so you can download a car!

Gulftastic

When that kid manages to buy a bar of chocolate with literal buttons, do you think her Mum sends her back in to see if she can repeat the trick for 20 B&H?

dissolute ocelot

What's the most desperate/demented Valentine's Day cash in? DNA testing firm 23 And Me are suggesting you be your own valentine and buy yourself a DNA test for Valentine's Day. Get valueless ancestry data, unreliable at anything beyond what continent you're from, or learn you're at risk of cancer!

Bently Sheds

I fucking unironically love the Hays Travel advert. The jingle, the people from the actual travel agencies talking to camera, the text over stock footage. It's a throwback to ads of the 1970s and it's a fuckton better than that 'woman dragging a bloke by his hand throughout their holiday' TUI bollocks.

kalowski

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 11, 2024, 01:31:49 PMWhat's the most desperate/demented Valentine's Day cash in? DNA testing firm 23 And Me are suggesting you be your own valentine and buy yourself a DNA test for Valentine's Day. Get valueless ancestry data, unreliable at anything beyond what continent you're from, or learn you're at risk of cancer!
Went for a meal in a pub last night (quite an upmarket one, to be honest).
Sign on the way in said "Celebrate Valentine's Day with Beef or Salmon"

Hope that's the names of the owners.

Gulftastic

Has 'acca' become an actual thing or is just something the betting ads are pushing?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 11, 2024, 04:43:19 PMHas 'acca' become an actual thing or is just something the betting ads are pushing?

Was pretty common to be written on slips when I worked in a bookies circa 2009.

Other terms include 'roll up'.

Icehaven

There's a current ad for sanitary towels which has finally acted on the decades-long argument that menstruation isn't blue, and fucking hell I wish they hadn't. Admittedly I do have an aversion to seeing bodily fluids (including realistic reconstructions) when I didn't specifically ask to see them but I don't think that makes me Mary Whitehouse does it? It's disgusting, and like most people I watch TV when I'm eating and no amount of honesty in advertising is worth the risk of seeing this when I'm enjoying my spaghetti bolognese thanks. And imagine if Andrex, Pampers and Kleenex follow suit, doesn't bear thinking about.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Icehaven on March 16, 2024, 12:11:46 PMAnd imagine if Andrex, Pampers and Kleenex follow suit, doesn't bear thinking about.
I'm very glad we don't get toilet paper adverts wiping any kind of material off any kind of ass. "Clears (blue) turds 20% better than the rival!"

Fambo Number Mive

I know why they do it, but online ads that pause when you change tabs so you have to sit there and watch them in order for the programme to start feel really petty and remind me of Black Mirror
Spoiler alert
the one where they live in cubes and have to pay credits to avoid ads and if they look away from the ads a klaxon blares
[close]

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 25, 2024, 12:27:12 PMI know why they do it, but online ads that pause when you change tabs so you have to sit there and watch them in order for the programme to start feel really petty and remind me of Black Mirror

ITVX is particularly irksome in this regard.

Icehaven

Why is the Postcode Lottery using the worst people in the world in their ads? Paddy McGuinness, Kirsty and Phil and that French twat who's everywhere. Putin will be knockin' on the door next.

monkfromhavana

Icehaven

I really like Diane Morgan but christ alive she must have paid her mortgage off ten times over by now with the amount of ads she does, feels like every other one.

Des Wigwam

That's reminded me - indirectly - there's a company called something like Get Your Guide where you can have a celeb guide. The ad is always for going fishing with Paul Whitehouse. I'd find meeting anyone like that really awkward anyway despite how fantastic I think they are so am 100% not their demographic.

But surely Paul Whitehouse has better things to do. Has he had some bad investments / marriages / habits?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Icehaven on April 05, 2024, 05:36:47 PMI really like Diane Morgan but christ alive she must have paid her mortgage off ten times over by now with the amount of ads she does, feels like every other one.

Do you think it's her? I'm not sure it's her, I know the voice you mean, I wonder if it's a deliberate soundalike designed to make you think it. There's another one who sounds like Lee Mack. I wish there was somewhere you look up each voice used.

Icehaven

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 05, 2024, 07:45:23 PMDo you think it's her? I'm not sure it's her, I know the voice you mean, I wonder if it's a deliberate soundalike designed to make you think it. There's another one who sounds like Lee Mack. I wish there was somewhere you look up each voice used.

Hadn't thought of that, you may be right. There's a blatant Katherine Ryan-alike in an ad at the moment, but it's bit more obviously not her. The Diane Morgans sound very much like her.

Captain Z

I'm sure it probably is her. Must be some of the cushiest work ever. Jessica Knappet is another one whose voice was everywhere recently. Recently spotted Morgana Robinson doing the voice over for Virgin Atlantic's safety video, her name was in the credits so definitely her

mippy

Quote from: Icehaven on April 05, 2024, 08:59:37 PMHadn't thought of that, you may be right. There's a blatant Katherine Ryan-alike in an ad at the moment, but it's bit more obviously not her. The Diane Morgans sound very much like her.

If it's Freemans, that is Katherine Ryan.

mippy

The 'Lee Mack' one, if you mean Smarty Mobile ('what a load of malarkey') is Karl Pilkington.

Icehaven

Quote from: mippy on April 22, 2024, 03:42:11 PMIf it's Freemans, that is Katherine Ryan.

Is it? It sounds like an impressionist who's inhaled a little helium. Maybe they've x1.5-ed it.

mippy

It is very definitely Katherine Ryan. I just remembered the ad and looked it up at work as I was curious!

I heard that the celebs who do TV voiceovers get a soundalike for radio, which makes me curious - it can't be that much more effort and cost to record an extra VO, unless the volume of radio ads is greater than I thought it was given that I hear the same ones on Absolute 80s all the time? That said, apparently Colin Hanks does the Woody voice for some things, so it's plausible.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: mippy on April 22, 2024, 04:25:13 PMIt is very definitely Katherine Ryan. I just remembered the ad and looked it up at work as I was curious!

I heard that the celebs who do TV voiceovers get a soundalike for radio, which makes me curious - it can't be that much more effort and cost to record an extra VO, unless the volume of radio ads is greater than I thought it was given that I hear the same ones on Absolute 80s all the time? That said, apparently Colin Hanks does the Woody voice for some things, so it's plausible.

I think it's more like how much the voice artist will charge - in budget for TV, but too expensive for radio. They get a soundalike and everyone's happy, apparently.

gilbertharding

At secondary school in the 80s and during some proto-media studies class (I can't remember what it actually was) being set the homework of watching the adverts and noting down tropes - and I remember the teacher giving us the tip that lots of the famous people we would hear on the adverts were probably impressionists. It's something I always bear in mind, even now.

gilbertharding

The latest Walkers Crisps advert is one for the ages. Beckham and Henry appearing on the giant screen at a football match, and then it all goes wrong.

David Beckham should simply remain mute at all times, the squeaky little berk. At least Thierry has the decency to look embarrassed at the whole thing.

Lets just say it doesn't look as if it has been tailored to reflect the culture of football fandom on these specific islands.

mippy

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 22, 2024, 05:19:35 PMAt secondary school in the 80s and during some proto-media studies class (I can't remember what it actually was) being set the homework of watching the adverts and noting down tropes - and I remember the teacher giving us the tip that lots of the famous people we would hear on the adverts were probably impressionists. It's something I always bear in mind, even now.

There are actually rules around this - they need to get permission from the famous person in question to use a soundalike, because the use of their voice suggests endorsement and for whatever reason they may not choose to give it. Notable example - MoreThan Freeman from a few years ago, the agency paid Morgan Freeman a *lot* of dosh to get his OK on that. If it's a Royal, they need to get permission from Clarence House or the Palace, which is obviously never given, so you don't get fake King Charles...you'll also never get any soundalikes of someone like David Attenborough or Chris Packham because permission is very unlikely to be forthcoming.

gilbertharding

Quote from: mippy on April 22, 2024, 05:26:58 PMThere are actually rules around this - they need to get permission from the famous person in question to use a soundalike, because the use of their voice suggests endorsement and for whatever reason they may not choose to give it. Notable example - MoreThan Freeman from a few years ago, the agency paid Morgan Freeman a *lot* of dosh to get his OK on that. If it's a Royal, they need to get permission from Clarence House or the Palace, which is obviously never given, so you don't get fake King Charles...you'll also never get any soundalikes of someone like David Attenborough or Chris Packham because permission is very unlikely to be forthcoming.

Interesting. What if they used obviously bad, or parodic impersonations?