Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Travails of Labour - The Cat Came Back Prrrrrrr

Started by Buelligan, March 01, 2024, 10:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

Buelligan

iamcoop

Quote from: Buelligan on March 01, 2024, 10:55:40 AM

"Me and my party have been watching you from across the forum and we love your cleverness. Could we buy you half a Madri?"

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: jobotic on March 01, 2024, 10:52:09 AMNo one is dying on Bastani Hill.

Good.  Glad to hear that not sure why it should be such an issue criticising him then.

Btw did you note how when you asked me to address your concern I addressed it?  Did you then recognise it?

Kankurette

That's trans constituents fucked then.

I wonder if Galloway's backtracked on abortion. Oh who am I kidding, he's still a forced-birth piece of shit.

TrenterPercenter

It's not hard - very good from Butler here (also recognising the hypocrisy over Syria).

Psybro

Having said "The only thing MPs should fear is the ballot box", presumably James Cleverly welcomes the result of the democratic process in Rochdale and will be attending Galloway's contributions in Parliament closely.

TrenterPercenter

Gaza or Syria?

Syria. 350k and rising dead.  Defended by Galloway.

shoulders

These are fun days when centrism loses, you find out how democratic these sensibles really are.

No PR, no respecting the Brexit vote, no defending the right to protest, no recognition here that people will vote for an ogre if the other parties are treating them like scum and the ogre purports to represent them.

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 01, 2024, 12:35:27 PM

Gaza or Syria?

Has anyone got a leg to stand on, in on the subject of Syria? The liberal prevarication and lack of critical decisiveness was one of the key factors in order deteriorating.

Funcrusher

US spent billions funding a proxy war in Syria, arming any Islamist nutter that would fight for them, just like Afghanistan. Currently starving the Syrian people through illegally occupying the third of the country where the food and oil is and through sanctions.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shoulders on March 01, 2024, 12:36:06 PMpeople will vote for an ogre if the other parties are treating them like scum and the ogre purports to represent them.

Again the same thing the far-right say - we are the reaction not the problem (and then of course usually followed by accusing people of saying do you think voters are idiots and not knowing what they voted for?). 

Starmer fucked this hard sometime ago in being in a terrible position on Gaza but that doesn't mean he is completely responsible for the election of a religious bigot and it doesn't excuse anyone associating with him and giving succour to his bigoted views.

Hopefully everyone can learn from this but I suspect Galloway will be normalised and apologism will be created for him in some sections of the left.  I absolutely hope I am wrong but let's see.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shoulders on March 01, 2024, 12:37:52 PMHas anyone got a leg to stand on, in on the subject of Syria? The liberal prevarication and lack of critical decisiveness was one of the key factors in order deteriorating.

This is an incredible re-writing of history.  Who do you think was chairing the Stop the War coalition that pushed for the voting against decisive action a clue it wasn't the "liberals".

Lots of lefties have recognised their mistake on this, me included, are you even capable of doing such a things I wonder.

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 01, 2024, 12:47:09 PMAgain the same thing the far-right say - we are the reaction not the problem (and then of course usually followed by accusing people of saying do you think voters are idiots and not knowing what they voted for?). 

Starmer fucked this hard sometime ago in being in a terrible position on Gaza but that doesn't mean he is completely responsible for the election of a religious bigot and it doesn't excuse anyone associating with him and giving succour to his bigoted views.

Hopefully everyone can learn from this but I suspect Galloway will be normalised and apologism will be created for him in some sections of the left.  I absolutely hope I am wrong but let's see.

Gone from claiming it is happening to 'oh well anyway, I predict it will happen .'

All political parties outside the main two claim their periods of success as being due to a failure by the main two to adequately represent the people, and whoever they are they tend to be correct on that point. Conflating analysis of political success with someone's approval is very stupid, so please stop saying "this is what the fascists say" as though you've happened on a great point, you haven't.

The impact of bigotry on those affected is the most significant aspect to worry about. So if you're throwing your hands in the air at Galloway's awful election leaflet but quietly ignoring Starmer's continual failure as leader of the opposition to defend or represent basically any minority or vulnerable group in society (including Jews, including trans people) it shows a deep lack of understanding of power and a deep similarity to what a dog does when it hears a whistle.

The Dog

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 01, 2024, 12:35:27 PM

Gaza or Syria?

That's a bit harsh, he's an old man with almost no anti-air or anti-tank capability. He'd be hard pressed to defend a row of shops without NATO backing.

BlodwynPig

Fuck me, the fear and hatred of Galloway is off the charts. Pantomime villain at best. Get back in your cots

iamcoop

Also missing the point that this isn't some massive success story for Gorgeous or his policies - it's a boot to the face of Sir Jeans primarily, with a massive emphasis on the genocide issue.

A fucking dog could've won that by-election if it had woofed 'stop sniping children in the throat'.

It's just a symbol. It's to effective democracy what St John's ambulance is to open heart surgery.

superthunderstingcar

If this is repeated across the country in the General Election, Galloway will be PM with about 540 MPs.

If.

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 01, 2024, 12:58:39 PMThis is an incredible re-writing of history.  Who do you think was chairing the Stop the War coalition that pushed for the voting against decisive action a clue it wasn't the "liberals".

Lots of lefties have recognised their mistake on this, me included, are you even capable of doing such a things I wonder.

You don't know my views of Syria to infer a mistake was made, nor blame me because I was/am on the left. Is there anything you won't try to process by massing The Left into a grouping they're collectively responsible for in your eyes?

To repeat, Syria was a grave diplomatic failure to which everybody - me and you included - were responsible on some level.

The decisive action required came down to two deeply unpalatable choices. Intervene militarily - quickly and decisively, or shore up Assad. Anything in between was going to create the same problems as elsewhere in the Middle East, a power vacuum that would be occupied by the most extremists factions.

I was in favour of selecting either of those, didn't care which, even in the knowledge both would be awful.

Instead the UN ummed and aahed, humanitarian groups ummed and aahed, and all the major powers decided "let's get what we can out of it", causing the country to descend into rubble and thousands to die and millions to be displaced for absolutely nothing.

That's ultimately what matters, not what Stop the War did or said.

If you don't want strongmen leaders and a populace that only listens to dictatorial power then disarm the region, instead we have done the exact opposite.

shoulders

A funny reaction from the centrist heat-rather-than-light social media krew so far.

They can't write off Rochdale residents as thick white Brexit trash, nor can they realistically imply Rochdale is some hotbed of anti-Semitism while they're having to try to hold to this veneer of being anti-Islamophobia to attack Sunak. But you can sense the frustration champing at the bit to do something.

Instead, almost absent of self-awareness the idea is that any constituency with a high Muslim minority can now be cordoned off as a dead loss.

This is not something that happened on the left during Corbyn. None of the lefty figures said "Let's ignore those Jew areas and win the others", they all said to go into the community and make their case and try to win every seat. In fact their credibility depended on it.

For some reason Labour's credibility does not seem to depend on their decision whether to siphon off Muslim support. If this were about any other religious grouping it would be a scandal.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shoulders on March 01, 2024, 01:07:45 PMGone from claiming it is happening to 'oh well anyway, I predict it will happen .'

Sorry no idea.

QuoteAll political parties outside the main two claim their periods of success as being due to a failure by the main two to adequately represent the people and whoever they are they tend to be correct on that point. Conflating analysis of political success with someone's approval is very stupid, so please stop saying "this is what the fascists say" as though you've happened on a great point, you haven't.

No parties tend to claim that they won rather than simply the enemy lost but this isn't relevant to what is being said here.  You are the one conflating the election of this bigot with the failure of Labour, there is some truth in this as a reaction against Starmers position on Gaza and what happened to their candidate prior to the election.  Taking this argument to it's extreme, in this sense saying the election of bigots is the failure of others, is to remove any responsibilty of the bigot and those that supported him and its this context that fascists use the same defence usually if the form of is liberal democracy doesn't stop the woke/re-education of children/humiliation of the white man etc.. then this is what will happen.

I would avoid this pitfall by making it clear that whilst Labour have helped this bigot win, that this isn't carte blanche for people that promote and support the bigot to be excused.  I mean he sent letters to constituents with transphobic shite tailored to supposed prejudices in parts of the community - are you comfortable with that? are you incapable of seeing that as awful alongside the fact Labour dropped a brick?

QuoteSo if you're throwing your hands in the air at Galloway's awful election leaflet but quietly ignoring Starmer's continual failure as leader of the opposition to defend or represent basically any minority or vulnerable group in society (including Jews, including trans people) it shows a deep lack of understanding of power and a deep similarity to what a dog does when it hears a whistle.

I think you show a deep lack understanding in not reading what I've written several times about Labours involvement.  I'm saying blaming them in entirety and ignoring those on the left that welcome Galloways return isn't in keeping with...

QuoteThe impact of bigotry on those affected is the most significant aspect to worry about.

And therefore sounds more like the politicking of the far-right, you know those people that say they definitely aren't racists, blame others for things whilst not calling out the racists in front of them.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shoulders on March 01, 2024, 01:18:44 PMTo repeat, Syria was a grave diplomatic failure to which everybody - me and you included - were responsible on some level.

Good well done.  So when someone like Galloway denies what happened in Bucha or Douma your first thoughts might not be to say....everyone is responsible.

Liberals have not denied the massacres that took place and haven't acted as apologists to Russia who aided a despot to mass murder his own civilians.

Did anyone see Starmer on the Matt Lucas/Eli's James Fantasy Football League last night (repeated tonight I think) - as bad as you would think plus he seemed very unbiddingly tactile with Emma Hayes...

Fambo Number Mive

Just noticed on Galloway's letter he says small business people are the hardest working people in this country. That sounds like something the Tories would say. Also, do small business people work harder than nurses or teachers?

idunnosomename

Another furious baldy

QuoteThe reason for that lies squarely with Azhar Ali himself, after he spouted a vile conspiracy theory about Israel wanting the 7 October Hamas massacre, remarks that were "deeply offensive, ignorant, and false" (in his own words). His further comment about the actions of "people in the media from certain Jewish quarters" was similarly appalling.
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/furious-rochdale-result-labour-candidate-paul-waugh-2934742

The thing is - something that seems willfully obscured - is that Ali's remark was made sometime late last year at a Lancashire Labour Party meeting (I cant actually find the precise date anywhere). The audio recording was sat on by a source close to the Mail for months and they released at a time it would cause maximum damage. If Sir Keir has changed the Labour Party so much, how did this vile antisemite etc get selected as candidate for the by-election?

Buelligan

Just been out in the glorious sunshine.  Feel like a page has turned, people have shrugged off the blackmailing Establishment turds and Jeans has been soundly kicked in the cunt.  Onward and upward!  Let us now fuck them all and change this world for something with less management tiers!

Steve Faeces

I'm surprised they allowed him to support Arsenal considering Corbyn does.

Starmer talks about football in the most rugby union way possible. It's all so contrived as well how it's pushed how much of a fan he is, "look here is Keir Starmer chatting about the Arsenal, he likes the football and a pint because he's a normal man just like you, you see."

Buelligan

"Normal" man or slapped arse - you decide...

FeederFan500

Apparently Starmer does actually like football which makes his bizarre way of talking about it all the stranger. You would think he was a typical Tory politician pretending to like what the common people like.