Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:00:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Crafting: Has there been a game where this is any fun whatsoever?

Started by Rev+, March 08, 2024, 08:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

earl_sleek

I remember the crafting in Everspace being OK. IIRC the interface for it is quite easy, it provides flexibility in that you can build the weapons and gear you want instead of having to find them, and as it's a roguelite you don't feel you have to hang onto resources just in case - you may as well build whatever you want to as soon as you have the resources, because you never know what's lying in wait after the next jump.

I just finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and didn't like the crafting there. It's tedious repetitive busy work, but fortunately on Normal difficulty you don't have to engage with it much as the game isn't very hard.

Cuellar

Bunty Levert

The secret invisible final boss in every game in the Monster Hunter series is the Crafting Ouroboros. Why do you want to hunt the monsters? To get materials. Why do you want materials? To craft better weapons and armour. Why do you want to craft better weapons and armour? To be more effective at hunting monsters.

You cut off the Crafting Ouroboros' head at the moment you slot in the final piece which completes the most effective possible loadout for your weapon, which usually requires you to have rinsed endgame content so thoroughly you have no need of a more effective loadout. What are you going to hunt next, and why? That question makes you think more than Derek and After Life combined.

(Each of the 14 weapons has unique mechanics which are fun to perform in and of themselves, and necessitate fighting against the same monsters in different ways. Think you're such a smart hunter shooting the big dragon thing from halfway across the map, with your endgame meta loadout, in your businessman suit and tie layered armour? Equip a hammer, now you have to be able to safely stay close enough to bonk it on the head)

oggyraiding

FFVII Rebirth's is very boring, they try to spice it up in how you can find new recipes, or how creating an item for the first time grants crafting XP which can unlock new recipes/upgrades. But it's the most generic "10 beast bones, 5 spirit wood, and a nature's blessing" to create a new bangle. The models of the items are fairly pretty, but they're not reflected on the character models so it feels a bit of a copout.

I think I can overlook the boringness of a crafting system if you can actually see the gear on the characters themselves. I find the Monster Hunter series very boring, but I do like how I can see my top hat made out of giant insect wings and my chaps made from velociraptors.

Poobum

Quote from: earl_sleek on March 09, 2024, 07:04:22 PMI just finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and didn't like the crafting there.

I'm almost done. Love the game so I'm enjoying item farming. Currently trying to finish the food recipes quest and need an item with a 1% drop chance. No drop after 124 kills. I cry.

Mister Six

Quote from: oggyraiding on March 10, 2024, 10:14:52 AMI think I can overlook the boringness of a crafting system if you can actually see the gear on the characters themselves. I find the Monster Hunter series very boring, but I do like how I can see my top hat made out of giant insect wings and my chaps made from velociraptors.

Wish they did this in Infinite Wealth so I could have Kiryu running around doing his hardman fighting in a wedding dress.

The Crumb

Playing Cyberpunk atm and that's some real shite crafting. A confusing, poorly explained trudge through some absolutely dreadful menus. I still have no idea how it decides which items are available for you to make.

Ferris

@The Crumb I sort of don't mind if the system is shit as long as I'm not forced to engage with it.

It's one of the admirable things about RDR2 - it has these systems (weapons customization, camp upgrades, crafting/hunting etc) that you can completely ignore and still make it through the game.

You won't get any esoteric camp fire chat or a debonair waistcoat, but if a system doesn't appeal then stick it in the metaphorical bin and move on.

Beagle 2

Quote from: The Crumb on March 11, 2024, 09:13:02 AMPlaying Cyberpunk atm and that's some real shite crafting. A confusing, poorly explained trudge through some absolutely dreadful menus. I still have no idea how it decides which items are available for you to make.

Yeah this ruined the game for me and I sacked it off within a few hours. All the initial controversy should have actually focused on the level of confusing menu tedium.