Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What you giving up?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 14, 2024, 05:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Giving anything up for lent?

Though not of a religious bent I am going to forswear posting my cutting remarks on CaB for the next forty days and forty nights.

Over to you then.

Butchers Blind

Wanking.

Only joking. It's Irn Bru.

dontpaintyourteeth

posting excellent content on the cookdandbombd forum. only gonnae post shite from now on. enjoy

lauraxsynthesis

Had 2 coffees today and now feel unwell and wound up. Might pack in the caffeine.

Toki

I don't want to sound like what is point man, but what is point Lent? What does it actually do? I went to a Catholic school and even then no one really satisfactorily explained it. I know the story of Jesus and all that, but so what. Lent just seems self-indulgent to me. So while I'm giving up picking my nose, I'm also upping my Scope donations indefinitely. Take that, Christians!

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Cuellar

Jerrykeshton

Probably something to do with stretching out the food supply until spring.

Buelligan

Jerrykeshton

Inspector Norse

Buelligan

Quote from: Jerrykeshton on February 14, 2024, 08:11:05 PMIt would work I guess. I meant Kent though

Kent might work or rubbing Strepsils on it.  Probably not the mint ones.

madhair60

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 14, 2024, 05:51:58 PMposting excellent content on the cookdandbombd forum. only gonnae post shite from now on. enjoy

step off, holmes

FeederFan500

Quote from: Toki on February 14, 2024, 07:12:58 PMI don't want to sound like what is point man, but what is point Lent? What does it actually do? I went to a Catholic school and even then no one really satisfactorily explained it. I know the story of Jesus and all that, but so what. Lent just seems self-indulgent to me. So while I'm giving up picking my nose, I'm also upping my Scope donations indefinitely. Take that, Christians!

So I think it is meant to teach you that abstaining from pleasure makes you appreciate it more and stop being so complacent all year round. Like Tesco or Pret (or at least they used to) getting their office staff to do retail shifts for two weeks each year.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if there was some aspect of society that meant not killing animals for meat was best in late winter/early spring and everything else was pure bullshit.

thenoise

Quote from: FeederFan500 on February 14, 2024, 10:30:00 PMLike Tesco or Pret (or at least they used to) getting their office staff to do retail shifts for two weeks each year.

Sounds like chaos, some fat arse from HR trying to work the coffee machine and keep up with the orders. How about letting the retail staff have a couple of weeks in middle management, discover what a piece of piss it is and they get  couple of zeros on the end of their salaries for their trouble, they'd be revolution by Easter.

thenoise

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 14, 2024, 06:59:45 PMHad 2 coffees today and now feel unwell and wound up. Might pack in the caffeine.

Did caffeine last year, first couple of days were a challenge but after that it was fine. I am still drinking far less than I was beforehand (usually 1 coffee 1 tea a day; used to be 2 minimum, usually 3, plus many teas).

Memorex MP3

Twitter, eBay, aliexpress, YouTube algorithm (ie I'll log out and avoid browsing, but still watch some specific things)

FeederFan500

Quote from: thenoise on February 14, 2024, 10:46:04 PMSounds like chaos, some fat arse from HR trying to work the coffee machine and keep up with the orders. How about letting the retail staff have a couple of weeks in middle management, discover what a piece of piss it is and they get  couple of zeros on the end of their salaries for their trouble, they'd be revolution by Easter.

One of the people I know who did this was convinced that customers were looking at him with disdain for doing a shop floor role. I could well imagine his colleagues thinking him useless, but it seemed to say more about him tbh.

(I think Pret would be relatively easy though, they don't have the same level of complexity when they do 'barista' coffee.)

DrumsAndWires

As a proud Heathen, I'm giving up fuck all thanks very much.

Kankurette

Nowt.

(Do we have any practising Catholics on here who smear ashes on their heads?)

Minami Minegishi

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68264363

QuoteThe president of Hungary has resigned live on television over a decision to pardon a man convicted of covering up a child sexual abuse case.
It was revealed last week President Novak had given clemency to a man jailed for forcing children to retract sexual abuse claims against a director of a state-run children's home. Ms Novak apologised and said she made "a mistake" in granting the pardon.

The controversy which led to the resignations came after the names of 25 people pardoned by Ms Novak in April last year, as part of a visit to Hungary by Pope Francis, were made public by Hungarian media last week.

On the list of convicts was the deputy director of a children's home near Budapest, who had been jailed for three years after forcing children to retract claims of abuse against the director of the home.

The director had himself been jailed for eight years over abusing children at the government-run facility.

Speaking in an address live on television, Ms Novak said she granted the pardon in the belief the convicted man "did not exploit the vulnerability of the children under his oversight". She apologised to victims who "might have felt that I did not stand up for them".

I know this is a light-hearted thread, but who the fuck is openly Catholic these days? My Mum is very, very religious Irish Catholic and said she would rather die than set foot in a Cathlic church and her only dying wish is that she doesn't want a Catholic funeral.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on February 15, 2024, 12:11:30 PMNowt.

(Do we have any practising Catholics on here who smear ashes on their heads?)

I have a vivid recollection of being in NYC in mid February a few years ago, and seeing loads of people with a blot of ash daubed on their foreheads. It took me days to figure out what was up with that.

Loads of young people as well, so I'm unsure if it was just a cultural or a faddish thing or what, but it was strange. Never seen it here obviously. I assume any denomination can chuck ash on their heads if they want, right?

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on February 14, 2024, 05:36:35 PMThough not of a religious bent I am going to forswear posting my cutting remarks on CaB for the next forty days and forty nights.

Forty days and forty nights only figuratively for most western Christians - it's more like 46 days really. The Pope says you can do a load of posts every Sunday if you like.

Dex Sawash

Wife is episcopal, gets the ashes done the dirty old bollocks. Learnt the ashes come from burnt palm sunday palm fronds. Learnt palm sunday was not about hand jobs at the same time. She gave up french fried potatoes one year, that was rough. She's been "taking on" rather than giving up, more recently.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm not gonna be giving anything up, as I don't want to disappoint anyone when I inevitably fail. I might cut down a bit on jogging though, and desserts.

shoulders

QuoteOn the list of convicts was the deputy director of a children's home near Budapest, who had been jailed for three years after forcing children to retract

You can tell we're on CaB because I assumed this was going to finish '...their foreskins'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm giving up pancakes

Quote from: Toki on February 14, 2024, 07:12:58 PMLent just seems self-indulgent to me.
I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the opposite.