Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drop the dead lion

Started by Butchers Blind, February 26, 2024, 11:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

More lion news for CaB, this time Tate & Lyle have decided to do away with the dead lion swarmed by bees logo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68347249.amp

Personally I like my syrups advertised with decomposing large cats.

Buelligan

I fucking love that dead lion.  Have an old tin on a shelf, for its beauty, for my love of that fucking lion.  Loved it from babyhood.  First time I saw it, I was transfixed.  Beautiful packaging, something I'd buy the product for, regardless of contents.  You drop that lion, you are arseholes, my friends.

idunnosomename

I WILL NOT BUY THIS PROCESSED SUGAR PRODUCT UNLESS IT HAS A DEAD LION COVERED IN BEES FROM AN EXTRAORDINARILY CONVOLUTED  OLD TESTAMENT RIDDLE ON IT

Its the golly on the jam all over again

Kankurette

I like my sugar like I like my lions: COVERED IN BEEEEEES!

Also, that bit in Judges or whatever it was about the lion corpse with the beehive in it is fucking metal. Out of the eater came something to eat. Out of the strong came something sweet.

Buelligan

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 26, 2024, 11:32:11 AMI WILL NOT BUY THIS PROCESSED SUGAR PRODUCT UNLESS IT HAS A DEAD LION COVERED IN BEES FROM AN EXTRAORDINARILY CONVOLUTED  OLD TESTAMENT RIDDLE ON IT

Its the golly on the jam all over again

Bees too.  I mean, come on, who hates bees and lions?  Not me, I think you'll find.  Bit different from a racist dolly.

Shaxberd

They're still keeping it on the tins, so the traditionalists can still have their dead lions and splats of stray syrup drips on the countertop.

idunnosomename

I like my dead lions like I like my coffee

Using them to start a feud with the Philistines that escalates with me setting tails of foxes on fire to burn all their crops, then climaxes in me killing 1000 of then with a jawbone of an ass

Shaxberd

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 26, 2024, 11:37:51 AMI like my dead lions like I like my coffee

Using them to start a feud with the Philistines that escalates with me setting tails of foxes on fire to burn all their crops, then climaxes in me killing 1000 of then with a jawbone of an ass

My favourite bit of the Bible is Judges 15:16 (New International Version), where Samson does a little rap after having killed a thousand men with a bone.

QuoteThen Samson said,

"With a donkey's jawbone
    I have made donkeys of them.
With a donkey's jawbone
    I have killed a thousand men."

Sick burn dude

wrec

I can't believe they just left that lion there etc.

Official thread theme

Am I going mad here:

QuoteBut the classic Lyle's Golden Syrup tin will be excluded from the rebrand, keeping its more than 150-year-old packaging design.

The original logo, which includes the biblical quotation "out of the strong came forth sweetness", is the world's oldest unchanged brand packaging, holding a Guinness World Record, having remained nearly identical since 1888, the brand said.

Lyle's well-known Victorian-style tins were first introduced by Scottish businessman Abram Lyle more than 150 years ago, the same year as the first electric railway.

The first electric railway was apparently 1881, the tin says est.1883 - where are they getting "more than 150 years"?

Zetetic

Gurke and Hare

All the stuff about this that I've seen is on about the syrup tin, but whether the lion will still be on the superior treacle tin is something that they're suspiciously quiet about.

hiya dead lion full of bees mate, thank you for your service

Butchers Blind

dissolute ocelot

The Wikipedia page contains the unsurprising information that bees tend not to nest in decomposing lion carcasses. Although there was an ancient ritual/belief based in the idea that bees came from a cow's carcass. There are also suggestions that alternative answers to "Out of the eater came something to eat, and out of the strong came something sweet" might be vomit or semen. Because it's the Bible.

Maybe cornflakes packets should tell you how to get a Snickers from a dead rhino.

Dex Sawash

🎵 on the left hand side 🎵

Senior Baiano

Blumf

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 26, 2024, 12:48:09 PM🎵 on the left hand side 🎵

Shouldve gone with "with the bees inside"

Fucked it

Dex Sawash

Pink Gregory

thought he just smelled a bit pooey

A missed opportunity for "Est 1883 Purring"

Psybro

Captain Z

The lion isn't dead, he's just having a sleep because he ate so much syrup and the bees are just buzzing around his sticky mane.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Shaxberd on February 26, 2024, 11:37:38 AMThey're still keeping it on the tins, so the traditionalists can still have their dead lions and splats of stray syrup drips on the countertop.

They seem to be fucking gagging to get this massive dead scraggly cat out of their business but not so eager to let go of the world record, hence this cheeky manoeuvre. They think they've got the upper hand, and to be fair they have really, but the people aren't happy about it. It's only a matter of time until semi-cryptic crimes start being committed like little plush toy lions stuffed with rotting bees left on the doorsteps of Andrew Tate & Lyle Lovett. And it won't end there, not if I can help it.

famethrowa

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 26, 2024, 12:44:04 PMThere are also suggestions that alternative answers to "Out of the eater came something to eat, and out of the strong came something sweet" might be vomit or semen. Because it's the Bible.

How sweet is your semen?

Spoiler alert
(Bee Gees consider rewrite, etc)
[close]

Senior Baiano

Like fuck are you going to get bees round a dead lion. Flies mate, all day long. Flies round an animal carcass, mmm, looking forward to this syrup

non capisco

Always thought it was so boss that a foodstuff had a picture of a decomposing dead lion with all insects flying round it on the front. Remember staring at a tin of that stuff in my grandad's cupboard thinking whatever the five year old's equivalent is of "Come on to fuck. No fucking way." As close as a corporate mascot may ever come to achieving a measure of strange and incomprehensible beauty. My immediate family weren't religious, didn't know it was a bible deep cut, thought the bees were flies, had no context for Big Syrup apparently being so cocky and confident in the deliciousness of their product that they chose to put a rotting flyblown lion on the front. "Wait til you see our jam, mate, it's got vultures goring out a wounded cow's aris!"

idunnosomename

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 26, 2024, 12:44:04 PMThere are also suggestions that alternative answers to "Out of the eater came something to eat, and out of the strong came something sweet" might be vomit or semen. Because it's the Bible.
you'd think someone pissed at wedding would have yelled out "is it a big hard cock full of cum?"

NO ITS A DEAD LION FULL OF BEES YOU PHILISTINE FUCK

FeederFan500

Out of the strong came forth, sweetness came third, runner up was will-o-the-wisp but it was the 12-1 shot carcass parasites that took the win.

touchingcloth

Do bees make inverted sugars in lion carcasses? I'd call foul on that riddle, unguessable.