Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblemong 2010! Draws and rules

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, June 15, 2010, 12:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gifs be allowed?

750x500 (and visa versa)
0 (0%)
visa versa
0 (0%)
Keeping to the usual size rules
0 (0%)
Gettin' Ziggy wid it. Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na. Gettin' Ziggy wid it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 21, 2010, 05:13:53 PM

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

There will be a draw tonight hopefully live on radio, after 12 at some point. (Helpful, I know, but I'm going to be away for a bit before that).

I have a hat.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 27, 2010, 05:34:04 AM
Ha! That bloody Baxter, he wouldn't let it lie!

It's not normal to refer to yourself in the neuter third-person.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

rowlands v docdaneeka
chocky v Fry
micanio v alan nagsworth
ziggy v Fawwaz
An tSaoi v waspy
SMBH v alcoholic messiah
old thrashbarg v mythical wet patch
The Boston Crab v Asparagus Trevor

72 hours from now is the deadline.

Do what An tSaoi says re: sizes.

chocky909

An tSaoi? I'm not doing anything he says.

chocky909

Seriously though Kishi, can you clarify what your rule change is? An's post was unclear really. I still think we should have a proper vote thread before changing the mong size.

An tSaoi

My suggestion was that images should be made by the newer, larger size (ie 500 x 750, or 750 x 500), but in order that people with older, smaller monitors can still view the images in their entirety, when the images are posted in the thread they should be rezised to the old dimensions of 400 x 600. This is done by using the following:

[img height=400 width=600]www.picurl.com[/img]

or

[img height=600 width=400]www.picurl.com[/img]

This way the images are displayed at the old size so as not to rock the boat, but are actually at the new size, and people can click on them to see them in all their slightly larger glory if they think they can handle it. It was just a suggestion, mind.

Edit: Is it 700 or 750?

chocky909

Seeing as the round has started we should go with that, see how it pans out.

750x500 or 500x750 them use that img code for the less well endowed whores' screens.

alan nagsworth

I'm not fond of the idea of scaling them down in the actual thread but a quick click isn't exactly a lot of effort in order to display the full image, I suppose. Let's 'ave at yer then.

Also, thank the heavens I'm not serving.

copylight

be mindful of the clownshoes alien nagsworth.

Good luck.

Artemis

I don't understand the point of the change at all. If, when you upload them, they're being uploaded at 400x600 or the other way around, then 400x600 is the measurement. When you're creating the image, you can make it any size you want - it's irrelevant if you always re-size to the original size anyway.

The suggested change creates an inequality as we're not all looking at the same thing. If there's a detail that can be picked up at the larger size but isn't clear at the smaller, and the smaller image forgoes a viewer's vote, is that fair just because the person voting can't see the larger image? Is there any monitor that can't handle 500x750 but can handle 400x600?!

DocDaneeka

Fuck that shit Im using 400 x 600.

Yeah, keep it lower till the final, and don't bother shrinking it when you post it.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Right, fine. 400x600 for this round, we can't change our mind now because the servers should be making theirs as we speak. So, KEEP IT 400x600/600x400 for this round, and in the meantime let's have some discussion on size so we can have a plan by the time of the next round. Mine's eight and a half inches, what about yours?

An tSaoi

Quote from: Artemis on June 28, 2010, 11:50:02 AM
I don't understand the point of the change at all. If, when you upload them, they're being uploaded at 400x600 or the other way around, then 400x600 is the measurement. When you're creating the image, you can make it any size you want - it's irrelevant if you always re-size to the original size anyway.
You would have been uploading them at the new size, but when you'd posted them you'd have got CaB to scale them down on the page, as per this image, which appears 400 x 600, but is actually 500 x 750:

I'd prefer them to stay the old size anyway, and was only throwing out ideas when others insisted the images be larger. Just as well it's staying as it is was then. Or is it?

Quote from: Artemis on June 28, 2010, 11:50:02 AM
Is there any monitor that can't handle 500x750 but can handle 400x600?!
I can't see the larger image in its entirety on my monitor.

Old Thrashbarg

What size is your monitor and what resolution do you have set? Only I haven't used anything as small 800x600 for a good 10 years (probably longer) and even that would still display the full image.

alcoholic messiah

I thought we were talking about maybe possibly perhaps changing the canvas size for future tournaments. Any rule changes for this one really should have been decided before it started. Perhaps an exception could be made for the final, but I think any decision should be made well in advance. Until then at least I think we should stick to the rules that were in place when everyone signed up.

In summary: Yes, stick with 600x400, and let's make a decision soon about whether the final should be played on a 750x500 pitch.

EDIT: And the scaling idea is silly.

Johnny Yesno

On my 1440x900 screen a 500x750 portrait image just fits in the space left by the tabs, toolbar and address bar of my browser. I assume lower res monitors won't be able to display the entire image at once, in the average browser configuration.

Old Thrashbarg

rudi

There's no way of actually voting in that poll, apparently...?

alan nagsworth

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 28, 2010, 07:51:54 PM
But that's what F11's there for.

Or Cmd+Shift+F on a Mac, I've just discovered.

alan nagsworth

Thrashbarg, ziggy, chocky and micanio - CUTTING IT BLOODY FINE. Like, fourteen hours until the 72hr period expires! I think I'm just massively eager to do something though, as I've been waiting the longest since the previous round. Still, as of tomorrow I have three days off work so the timing for the deadline worked out pretty sweet. I just... argh, I'm getting nervous!

Come on micanio, I'm freakin' jonesing for a mong over here buddy!

ziggy starbucks

Its unlikely I'll be able to shoot before the weekend, maybe there's a chance of getting it done on thursday but its unlikely. If this is unacceptable to Kishi and Fawwaz then I'll bow out

sorry dudes

chocky909

I'm a procrastinator. I've never missed a deadline yet in my 3 years of Wimblemongery. Then again...

alan nagsworth

What's going on with mine and micanio's game? He was online yesterday evening but hasn't asked for extra time to do his serve, or even hinted towards when he will be ready. The deadline was nearly two hours ago, so I'm obviously keen to know what the deal is since ours is the only game which has not started or has not been pardoned by request.

I don't really fancy winning by default as I'm very eager to get monging more than anything at the moment, plus as I've never beaten round 2 before I was really up for the challenge again. I also noticed we haven't done the runner-up system this year which means there'd be no one else to take micanio's place, or the place of anyone in this situation, as it wouldn't be fair doing that in anything except the first round.

So... wha' gwan, breds?

Yours,
Alan Frustrated.

copylight

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 01, 2010, 02:27:15 AM

I also noticed we haven't done the runner-up system this year which means there'd be no one else to take micanio's place, or the place of anyone in this situation, as it wouldn't be fair doing that in anything except the first round.

Too right. Give the defeated a 2nd chance! I'd be willing to step in and play rock scissor paper with any 1st round loser who fancies replacing micanio (if he has indeed gone awol on this that is)..

alan nagsworth

Hmm perhaps the highest-scoring loser could step in for such a short-notice service as this? Or as copylight said, some kind of quick play-off to determine a worthy opponent? It's up to Kishi I suppose...