Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tinge UK - New Centrist Party [split topic]

Started by jobotic, March 29, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Alberon

So, how long until the former CUKs apply for Lib Dem membership. Will they do it as one or try to sneak in with as little fuss as possible.

And while it's doubtful Change UK will last long enough for us to get to a second part of this thread they are still there at the moment. Assuming a general election is still three years away will they hold on as this shell of a party?

Alberon

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 04, 2019, 10:46:16 PM
And don't respond to him.

Yes, I've broken my rule of replying to the couple of trolls in the political threads but I'll go back to ignoring them. My suggestion if you do want to reply to them is start a political troll dustbin thread and put all your messages there. It'll reduce the disruption in the proper threads.

canadagoose

I'm trying to prove something - probably pretty obvious but was trying to make it a little more clear.

imitationleather

Quote from: Alberon on June 04, 2019, 10:48:17 PM
So, how long until the former CUKs apply for Lib Dem membership. Will they do it as one or try to sneak in with as little fuss as possible.

And while it's doubtful Change UK will last long enough for us to get to a second part of this thread they are still there at the moment. Assuming a general election is still three years away will they hold on as this shell of a party?

I thought a while ago that they will end up like Veritas and once all their MPs are gone will continue with some no-marks standing in the odd election. More an idea than an organised political party. Because they have no policies whatsoever it's pretty easy for anyone to latch on to their minor name recognition and carry it on in their own image.

As for flouncing, I guess I won't. But reading these threads when there's just incessant off-topic shit from one poster makes it seem like I really should be doing something else. It doesn't feel particularly good for the soul to be around here at the mo.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: canadagoose on June 04, 2019, 10:52:53 PM
I'm trying to prove something - probably pretty obvious but was trying to make it a little more clear.

You're wasting your time. There's nothing to prove.

canadagoose

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 04, 2019, 10:54:14 PM
You're wasting your time. There's nothing to prove.
That our man is a full-on fascist? Surely he can't shit up the place any more.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on June 04, 2019, 10:53:02 PM
As for flouncing, I guess I won't. But reading these threads when there's just incessant off-topic shit from one poster makes it seem like I really should be doing something else. It doesn't feel particularly good for the soul to be around here at the mo.

He's only interested in disrupting discussion when there's an election imminent. He'll go quiet after that.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: canadagoose on June 04, 2019, 10:55:23 PM
That our man is a full-on fascist? Surely he can't shit up the place any more.

We know. The choices are ignore, propagate the shitting up, or ban. I'm sure Barry is keeping an eye on this one but let's see how committed our troll friend is, eh? Sometimes it's fun to make the trolls cry but this one is so unbelievably dull I just can't be arsed.

canadagoose

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 04, 2019, 11:01:36 PM
We know. The choices are ignore, propagate the shitting up, or ban. I'm sure Barry is keeping an eye on this one but let's see how committed our troll friend is, eh? Sometimes it's fun to make the trolls cry but this one is so unbelievably dull I just can't be arsed.
I know you'd know, because you're used to fascists, but not everyone seems to recognise them so I wanted to prove it definitively, but I guess it's pointless. I'll go along with your no-interaction plan and see what happens.

Quote from: canadagoose on June 04, 2019, 10:42:13 PM
Jeez, we're losing some of our best posters. Don't go! Have faith!

The saddest thing is this is probably a regular poster doing an Ashbery or a previously banned poster who's got nothing better to do.

'Having nothing better to do' would also apply if they were genuine, though everything they write can't help but look like they're taking the piss out of the people they're championing. I mean, calling Galloway the "Champion of the Oppressed" is a bit too on-the-nose even for his supporters.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: imitationleather on June 04, 2019, 10:06:59 PM
Hate to be a twatty flounce type but I'm thinking of doing the same. This forum is pretty ruined at the moment.

Ain't much better out there kid

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Unfortunately that is advice that has no chance of being followed and hasn't ever worked.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on June 04, 2019, 08:59:33 PM
You believe them?

Cameron said as much in 2010... By 2012 he had formulated the health and social care act... The NHS has been part privatised ever since.

Rule No.1. Never trust the word of a Tory.

But this doesn't address any of the political realities in 2019 I mentioned. The problem is you (not picking on you personally, just generally those advocating this zombie argument) want this to be true so badly that you aren't properly assessing the actual facts and what is possible in the current situation.

The tories are extinct as a party of government for a generation, and barring the vanishingly unlikely event they achieve their nefarious aims to sell the NHS to the Americans before the next election with no majority or political will to do so, I can't see who else in politics is going to achieve a landslide victory anytime soon that would be required to push through such an historically contentious and unpopular policy in the face of widespread opposition.

To put it bluntly, this is a fantasy argument and those advocating it are sadly, demagogues who appear to have taken a leaf out of Trumps very own playbook.

Johnny Yesno

Blumf

Quote from: Alberon on June 04, 2019, 10:48:17 PM
So, how long until the former CUKs apply for Lib Dem membership. Will they do it as one or try to sneak in with as little fuss as possible

Expect to hear some scratching noises behind the bins at the next LD conference.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 04, 2019, 11:18:50 PM

But this doesn't address any of the political realities in 2019 I mentioned. The problem is you (not picking on you personally, just generally those advocating this zombie argument) want this to be true so badly that you aren't properly assessing the actual facts and what is possible in the current situation.

The tories are extinct as a party of government for a generation, and barring the vanishingly unlikely event they achieve their nefarious aims to sell the NHS to the Americans before the next election with no majority or political will to do so, I can't see who else in politics is going to achieve a landslide victory anytime soon that would be required to push through such an historically contentious and unpopular policy in the face of widespread opposition.

To put it bluntly, this is a fantasy argument and those advocating it are sadly, demagogues who appear to have taken a leaf out of Trumps very own playbook.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on June 04, 2019, 10:53:02 PM
I thought a while ago that they will end up like Veritas and once all their MPs are gone will continue with some no-marks standing in the odd election. More an idea than an organised political party. Because they have no policies whatsoever it's pretty easy for anyone to latch on to their minor name recognition and carry it on in their own image.

The question is, will they decide to share or to shaft?

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on June 04, 2019, 10:06:59 PM
Hate to be a twatty flounce type but I'm thinking of doing the same. This forum is pretty ruined at the moment.

It's just boring - everyone is out for an argument. Some cunt acting the big 'un on the Peterborough thread calling me an idiot by taking the direct opposite point from what I wrote. Which I wrote in quite a cheery and positive demeanour, and happily changed my tune when panco posted a link which mitigated my concerns in a polite "agree to disagree but you make a good point".

Doesn't matter - let's call a stranger a moron without thinking! And that's before you get on to the new trolls and everyone continuing feeding them. I'm good at ignoring posts from people (spoiler - I skip about 40% of what's written on here based on your profile picture. If I recognize you as a wally, I don't read whatever it is you have to say) but there comes a point where I'm combing through threads to find 1 or 2 posts that are worth reading. Feels like a waste of time.

The politics threads have always been a bit of a chore, but I'm sick of the same 5 or 6 posters having the same circular arguments in every thread. These shitty arguments should be quarantined in the appropriate thread so I can ignore it, but it leaks into everything. And holding grudges! Like... fucks sake, this is the internet and these are all anonymous strangers - why the burning desire to get one over on each other?

It just feels like a chore, and that isn't something I want to spend my time doing.

I might dabble in HS Art which is always good and the "full flounce" isn't for me, but a definite break of a couple weeks is in order (at minimum).

Captain Z

I'm leaving too, this place has become institutionally anti-semitic. I propose we start a new independent forum, if say 11 of us leave I'm sure many more will follow and together we can really change comedy discussion.

Bleeding Kansas

You're right. We just need a new forum name. Something that clearly shows our desire for change.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on June 05, 2019, 12:31:46 AM
You're right. We just need a new forum name. Something that clearly shows our desire for change.

CoBo

Captain Z

It's not just about being bald or having long hair or a funny afr... y'know, different style...

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 05, 2019, 12:19:49 AM
Some cunt acting the big 'un on the Peterborough thread calling me an idiot by taking the direct opposite point from what I wrote.

I didn't call you an idiot. You do have a habit of assuming everyone else is one, though.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on June 05, 2019, 12:31:46 AM

Chuk'd and Bomb'd

BlodwynPig

Quote from: canadagoose on June 04, 2019, 10:42:13 PM
Jeez, we're losing some of our best posters. Don't go! Have faith!

Will we get our money back like those Change UK donors?

canadagoose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 05, 2019, 12:47:45 AM
Will we get our money back like those Change UK donors?
Nah, no refunds here, soz :(

BlodwynPig

NoSleep

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 04, 2019, 10:41:35 PM
Is this all down to one poster or is there more to it than that?

It'll be the people that persist in engaging the trolls that will be the more depressing aspect. Just watching the futility of their actions and the pages of threads wasted to zero discussion, as they ensure that it is all about the trolls. Like picking a sore so that it never heals. What is really depressing is how, when some posters actually think about it and step back from engaging, then others rise to the occasion. Maybe the strategy should be to temp ban the worst offenders to make them realise that they are as guilty of trolling as the trolls.