Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Non-Bond music that features the Bond theme

Started by beanheadmcginty, March 15, 2024, 09:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

I currently can't stop listening to the theme tune to the BBC rally coverage from the 90s. There's many things I love about it, but one of the easiest parts to define is that it clearly has the James Bond theme hidden in it. I've heard loads of other songs in my life that do this but can't remember any others. Any other suggestions so I can make a playlist
?

non capisco

Summer Wine by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood has the "Der der DER der!" bit, as timestamped here

And then of course there's this...

Thomas

I think 'Shades of Cool' was Lana Del Rey vying for that year's Bond theme.

Not the main Bond theme, but Kanye West's Diamonds from Sierra Leone heavily samples Diamonds Are Forever.

idunnosomename

Again not the main theme, but a recurring theme nonetheless but the rhythm and arrangement of this track from the Neon Genesis Evangelion soundtrack is clearly a homage to John Barry's 007 Theme which first appeared in FRwL

There's versions of it all over Hideaki Anno's Shin Godzilla too, also scored by Shiro Sagisu, even more like it as it doesn't have Sagisu's original melody part

Egyptian Feast

Alice Cooper's 'Unfinished Sweet', about going to the dentist, contains a snatch of the James Bond theme during the section where the narrator is gassed up and having his mouth excavated.

Their next album contained a track called 'The Man With The Golden Gun' as they'd seen the title flash up at the end of Live And Let Die and thought they might have a chance of bagging theme song duties if they got in early, but they were still too controversial at the time for a family franchise and the song wasn't that much cop anyway, so the producers went with Lulu singing about Christopher Lee having a powerful weapon.

idunnosomename

So obvious almost beyond mentioning but the opening riff to "Secret Agent Man" is the chromatic ostinato that underlies the whole piece, but most prominent at the start before Monty Norman's "dum didi dum dum" riff comes in

horse_renoir

Sewerage-based animated caper 'Flushed Away' mixes the JB riff into a Billy Idol montage.

Attila

I got the Beatles 'red album' way back in 1979 when I was 14 (yay, Christmas!) As on the US version of the Help! album, 'Help!' on both records starts with a version of the James Bond theme.

Iit's not on the UK versions.

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVWN1W2-gg

Glebe

As pointed out by Ian McDonald in his book Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties, Lennon's 'Glass Onion' features a Bondian spy theme motif (which McDonald surmises is supposed to suggest Beatles fans 'searching' for meaning in their lyrics). Of course the song inspired the movie Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery which features the song over it's end credits and stars former Bond Daniel Craig.

(From approx. 108m:)