Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:40:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"The People VS Jerry Sadowitz" - resurrected in 2024

Started by TheDevilPuppet, March 26, 2024, 08:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Not sure how this is going to work really.

As it's online, presumably he could go 'full Jerry' but that would go against his whole 'have absolutely no record of me online anywhere as the act will be misinterpreted' thing.

The reason why the original 'People Vs' didn't really work for me (I have them all somewhere and last time I watched it it hadn't held up well at all) is that he's obviously changing his act to fit the restrictions for TV, so what you get is a sort of toothless version of his act where he's just saying some slightly edge-lordy stuff to people but without the absolutely harrowing and intense mania you get with his proper act.

I think The Pall Bearer's Revue is largely successful, and holds up a lot better these days.

Cuntbeaks

Went to a filming of this in Glasgow back in the day, but it was never aired.

Asked a question and even got a Sadowitz Approved sticker.

Memorex MP3

why isn't it a podcast?

Is this gonna be just a row of terminally online people of various kinds ranting to Sadowitz about something he has absolutely no grasp of?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: iamcoop on March 26, 2024, 09:44:30 AMThe reason why the original 'People Vs' didn't really work for me  is that he's obviously changing his act to fit the restrictions for TV

Maybe you or someone else who's seen it recently can confirm, but my memory of it is that he said 'cunt' many many times in the first episode, but hardly at all (or never) in the rest of the series.  Presumably the sensor got at the rest, once the first one was aired.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on March 26, 2024, 10:12:17 AMBetsey Trotwood? Was a smaller venue not available?

It does seem a bit mad it's so small, I did their open mic comedy night a few times about a decade ago and it felt like a busy night if there were twenty or so people present. I wonder if that's partially why though, as he'll know about all of the people who are going to turn up and contribute, and there's less of a chance someone will do something too crazy or insane.

As it goes I did like the original show, Jerry rarely seemed that cruel to the people (though not always), and at the time it seemed quite eye opening to see people talk about things they were passionate about. But now post reality tv and youtube and TikTok I can't imagine how it would work unless it is a vehicle for Jerry to scream and shout at people, and that's not something that I would be interested in, but I hope I'm wrong.

sevendaughters

presumably it is just a trial run for when it goes overboard and he pulls them in at Comedy Unleashed

kngen

Quote from: iamcoop on March 26, 2024, 09:44:30 AM(I have them all somewhere and last time I watched it it hadn't held up well at all)

I was just thinking the other day that I'd love to see the one with him doing his Billy Connolly impersonation again. That's my one abiding memory of him doing something exceptional on it (because, as you say, a lot of it was pretty poor.)

I certainly wouldn't want you do DM me about it though - with an easy-to-use Google Drive link. No, sir.

iamcoop

Let me try and not dig it out.

About 15 years ago someone didn't send me an SD card through the post that didn't have every single thing he'd ever done on TV, it also dint have all his known recordings up to that point and it absolutely did not have PDF scans of every magic book he'd ever written and contributed to.

So I won't be able to find that as it doesn't exist. (I won't try, it's not in my house somewhere and I can't not remember where but I won't try and find it)

kngen

I'm not excited by this news in the slightest. (I think. You may have double-negatived me to the point I really don't know what to expect now.)

Wet Blanket

I absolutely don't want in on this non existent treasure trove.

Noodle Lizard

Before I could even come in to say "it'll never be released", the tweet has been deleted.

I do hope he'll record and release at least something from this era of his career, but even silly little 10 second promos he puts out inevitably get deleted within a couple of weeks. The first time I saw him was back in 2011 or so and he was recording his set at the Leicester Square Theatre for a DVD release which never came.

I'd be very surprised if we ever get to see this, but here's hoping since I have no reasonable way of seeing him live anymore.

lauraxsynthesis

I'm tempted just because it's free and I'll be just up the road seeing Richard Herring from 6-7. I suspect even if it's shit it'll be interesting. Perhaps. And if he does something evil I'll just leave, having not even paid for it.

thenoise

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 26, 2024, 07:01:33 PMThe first time I saw him was back in 2011 or so and he was recording his set at the Leicester Square Theatre for a DVD release which never came.

Would be great to have a 'proper' (not a bootleg) release of this era of Jerry. Total Abuse is fun for what it is, but it's pretty ancient now, and his TV stuff is ... odd, and decidedly variable.
And apparently he's gone full conspiraloon, which is an interesting direction (but not entirely surprising).

iamcoop

I think he's got the right idea though. I don't think his act works at all unless you're in the room, there and then.

At his best he's a bit scary and unhinged and (I personally) need that extra bit of physical presence to make it work as a whole piece.

13 schoolyards

I am also excited about the non-existent prospect of a collection of recordings that don't exist, because it's not like he's going to be popping down to Australia to rip the shit out of us any time soon

Oosp

I, too, have no interest in this collection of content which isn't real and can't be downloaded conveniently on the internet

madhair60

lauraxsynthesis

I'm guessing it's at the Betsey Trotwood because he's been doing warm ups there for years and this is also a warm up 

Jockice

I saw him record an episode of the TV version years ago. On my way in a woman from the production company asked me what I wanted to tell him about. Me? Bugger all. But thank for asking.

madhair60

Jockice

Quote from: madhair60 on March 27, 2024, 10:55:32 AMthats not a very good anecdote

I've dined out on it for years. Which is why I'm now suffering from malnutrition.

iamcoop

EggsLikeABird

Did Dave Courtney have to die for this to be resurrected?

PlanktonSideburns