Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

*WIBBLY WOOP WIBBLYSKEEP* That's not where the cart goes, sir

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 19, 2022, 08:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

So last night I was browsing Youtube and I came across a channel called Cart Narcs: https://www.youtube.com/c/CartNarcs/videos

Apparently they are part of a radio show called The Woody Show and judging from the videos these people go around supermarket car parks in America and Australia looking for people who have not put their trolleys back properly.

I'm not sure what to think about this. On the one hand I agree with the Cart Narcs that people should put their supermarket trolleys back properly, and there are plenty of instances of people leaving them where they could roll into cars or blocking car parking spaces. Also, people seem to get away with lots of unreasonable behaviour these days so its nice to see people called out on it.

On the other hand, I do feel that some of the Cart Narcs do go a bit overboard, they put magnets on the car calling the driver a jerk who does not put his supermarket trolley back properly, when the driver pulls it off and throws it away they put another one on and so on. Perhaps just one magnet would be enough rather than doing it again and again. The Cart Narc also seems keen to tell the other person how nice and polite he (the Cart Narc) is.

And of course this is being done for Youtube views and to get people to listen to The Woody Show, that's more of a motivation than discouraging people from not putting their trolleys in the right area of the supermarket car park.

Here are some videos. Cart Narc runs across the car park to throw a magnetised sticker at someone who did not put their shopping trolley in the right place and has driven out of the car park into traffic (Contains loud honking noises for a few seconds)

Couple argue with the Cart Narc:

When some of those being filmed accuse the Cart Narc of harassment he says it isn't harassment, he is having a polite conversation. But when people ask him to go away and stop putting stickers on their car repeatedly and he says only if you take your trolley back each time, does that count as harassment?

The Cart Narc has been threatened several times and once had a gun pulled on him.

I haven't used a supermarket trolley for years and years now but I don't remember not putting it in the correct place. Do you put your trolley away correctly or do you leave it in an empty car parking space or on the paved area?

Fambo Number Mive

Apologies if this should have gone in Picture Box as it is about a Youtube channel.

Mobius

I was a trolley boy. If people put their trollies back, I would not have had a job. So I say 3 cheers for people who don't put their trolley back

I don't really bother. As long as you're not leaving if in a disabled car spot or something, who fucking cares.

Can't be arsed to watch the video but he looks like James Corden in the thumbnail and I hate videos that bully ordinary people for minor shit.

Fambo Number Mive

Sorry I should have mentioned that the thumbnail in video 1 is of the person who did not put their trolley back correctly.

Zetetic

His approach feels designed to provoke mild confrontation rather than positive behaviour change. (Are there more fundamental environmental-design reasons why people don't put their trolleys back, or is that over-generous? I guess ultimately the shopping centre with massive car parks where you do big shops are part of a vicious circularity in how these societies' spaces are put together.)

Quote from: Mobius on May 19, 2022, 08:18:04 AMI was a trolley boy. If people put their trollies back, I would not have had a job. So I say 3 cheers for people who don't put their trolley back
Avril asks the Matrix to have another swing at it.

Mobius

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 19, 2022, 08:19:08 AMSorry I should have mentioned that the thumbnail in video 1 is of the person who did not put their trolley back correctly.

That's fair I retract my Corden comparison

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I bring my trolley to the entrance of the supermarket car park, then push it down the hill, emitting a triumphant ululating cry as I do so.

JaDanketies

I like the guy from what I saw of him a few years back. The people who get really wound up about him are fucking dangers and it's good that he publicises their visages for the purpose of public safety. If you don't want to go viral and for the public to think you're a twat then put your shopping cart back, or be humble if you don't and you get called out for it. If you respond with violence and aggression to being told to put your trolley away then you're a shithead and I don't care that you just got fired and your dog just died, it's no excuse, going viral for being a dickhead might be what it takes to get you to control your emotions.

My two year old has the emotional regulation of some of these grown men. And it's obviously very important that he has better emotional regulation by the time he's five. If he's not figured it out by 55 then I have unleashed a dickhead on the world.

Pijlstaart

Nothing wrong with a bit of street harassment so long as it's for a good cause. Whenever it was a nice day the office workers would go and sit in the park to have their lunch and we'd surround them, preeing and cheeping for crisps. Much the same, We're a compunctious people and we march in lockstep with the moral backing of our church and our folk, once you feel that weight behind you it becomes bigger than yourself, your duty, it becomes all the easier to venture face-first into a strangers lunchbox and our ancestors await us smiling as we swell up from nut allergies or asphyxiate in carrier bags.

Neville Chamberlain

I just chuck mine in the nearest canal when I'm done.

Sebastian Cobb

It's lazy arsehole behaviour not to return them, but it's also a bit weird to make this your crusade to hector people on youtube about, frankly.

Sometimes the people who discard them are unintentionally useful, there's a Morrisons near me that always seems to have a shortage of trolleys in the bays but you can usually find a discarded one in the corner of the car park or by the bus stop. I think if these scraps were also in the bays people who are too lazy to go on the hunt would've got to them first rather than making do with a basket.

Fambo Number Mive

I watched one video where the supermarket manager has to tell him to leave the car park and there were a couple where the person who did not put the trolley back said "I will never shop at this store again", although he makes it clear he does not work for the shop I do wonder how staff feel about this person going round supermarket car parks getting into confrontations with the customers about their trolley not being put back correctly.

As well as magnetic stickers he also had a magnetic flag which he would put on the worst people's cars.

I do agree that the way he approaches it escalates the situation, and he seems to know how to press people's buttons. I doubt many of the people who the Cart Narcs berate will put their trolley away properly on subsequent visits.

He also confronts people on foot who don't put their cart away properly, here is a video of him following people from the supermarket to a storage unit. As usual he enjoys telling the people he confronts how wonderful he is "I'm a sweet boy".

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Zetetic on May 19, 2022, 08:25:35 AM. (Are there more fundamental environmental-design reasons why people don't put their trolleys back,

No. Cunts won't even bother to fully push the cart up in the one ahead if they do make a half-effort to return them. The cart corrals will develop a river delta of carts fanned out at the opening.

Most stores have large and small size carts, and people do not attempt to segregate them (they don't nest properly when mixed)

Aldi (america) ones take a quarter (a sort of coin over here) to unlock. Never see an Aldi (america) cart abandoned. People accost you in the parking area to try to buy your cart off you as you return it which is odd over-familiar behavio(u)r. I usually tell them no thanks, this one's got my lucky quarter in it despite me not having a lucky quarter yet that I know of.

My wife likes to run the cart back when we are together. I read CaB posts in the car while she does this.

Fambo Number Mive

So why do these people offer to buy your cart off you? Is it because they don't have a quarter and so offer you a load of pennies to the value of the quarter?

Sebastian Cobb

Last time I offered someone 2 50p's for their unlocked trolley i realised as I was pushing it round the shop it didn't have a quid in the lock mechanism. Gutted.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 19, 2022, 10:05:35 AMSo why do these people offer to buy your cart off you? Is it because they don't have a quarter and so offer you a load of pennies to the value of the quarter?

No, they alway rush to meet you waving a quarter at you. I assume it is an effort to save you from the drudgery of walking to the corral but who knows. There's a thing at the Starbucks drive-through where someone pays for the order of the next car behind them when they get to the window. The 'bucker at the window gives you your shit and asks if you want to pay for the one behind you. It could be some prosperity gospel mega church bullshit.

Sebastian Cobb

I hope my life never gets so busy that a drive-through coffee seems like a good efficient idea.

Fambo Number Mive

I presume paying for the order of the person behind would only work if everyone ordered the same price thing, otherwise you could be out of pocket.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 19, 2022, 10:27:07 AMI presume paying for the order of the person behind would only work if everyone ordered the same price thing, otherwise you could be out of pocket.

You'll not buy your way to heaven/prosperity with that attitude.

madhair60

Can we stop calling them carts as they are called trolleys. Side note this is wank behaviour and as violent language is no longer permitted I have nothing further to say on the KILL HIM subject.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2022, 10:20:15 AMI hope my life never gets so busy that a drive-through coffee seems like a good efficient idea.

It is Inexcusable unless you have a Tahoe-load of kids in car seats and only 1 adult. I never buy coffee out except for gas station coffee. Straight up black coffee at starbux is terrible anyway.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: madhair60 on May 19, 2022, 10:36:59 AMCan we stop calling them carts as they are called trolleys.

Really country-ass motherfuckers call them buggies which is an affectation I have embraced to annoy my wife.

Fambo Number Mive

This person has made an even more petty video than the Cart Narcs:

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 19, 2022, 08:09:09 AMDo you put your trolley away correctly or do you leave it in an empty car parking space or on the paved area?

America is decades ahead of other countries in some respects but absolutely stone age in other ways. I'm sure people leave their trollies all over the place because they haven't got the pound coin system yet which forces you to pay a pound if you want to be a lazy bones. But no, America hasn't seemed to implement this easy solution. Probably interferes with their important freedoms.

It's taken me a while to work it out but Cart Narc is a sometimes entertaining but ultimately exploitative youtube grifter on the take who would stop immediately if he wasn't making money. He'd probably start a channel harrassing some other people, litterers maybe. Actually that would be better, litterers deserve to be shot.

The ultimate Cart Narc episode is one Perry Caravello from the cult film Windy City Heat. It's the perfect meeting of annoying internet asshole with low level cult film nutcase who screams in anger at the slightest provocation. Perry was brain damaged in a car accident decades ago so naturally he doesn't understand Cart Narcs are not employed by CostCo, tries to run after and punch the Cart Narc and later rings up CostCo to unleash an expletive ridden tirade about the Cart Narc, despite CostCo having nothing to do with it. All neatly compiled in the video.

The Cart Narc also put McDonalds burgers on Perry's car, this is a running joke on Perry that has nothing to do with people putting their trollies back when they're finished with them. This indicates that the Cart Narc isn't overly concerned about trollies in car parks and just wants to annoy people for money.

Fambo Number Mive

Loads of people take their trollies outside the supermarket where I live and either just leave them in the street or keep them in their garden. There's one video in Australia where the Cart Narc goes into a house's drive because there is a shopping trolley in the garage. He'd be kept busy doing Cart Narcing around where I live, although he'd probably get beaten up by one of the angry cart rustlers if he did.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 19, 2022, 10:46:41 AMThis person has made an even more petty video than the Cart Narcs:

I worked somewhere where some arsehole who worked in a different company in the building parked their precious Audi R8 like this. I used to take great pleasure in parking my battered 15 year-old Astra centimetres from his driver's door.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 19, 2022, 10:02:07 AMI usually tell them no thanks, this one's got my lucky quarter in it

I'm baffled by this, it makes no sense at all. Is it an obsessive compulsive thing or something? A germaphobe thing? If they offer you the value of the amount spent, why not give them it?

dissolute ocelot

Getting people riled up just as they get behind the controls of 2 tons of motorised steel doesn't seem the most sensible way of making the planet a better place.

At least if you slash their tyres, they're not going anywhere.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 19, 2022, 11:01:59 AMI'm baffled by this, it makes no sense at all. Is it an obsessive compulsive thing or something? A germaphobe thing? If they offer you the value of the amount spent, why not give them it?

That seems to be the universal reaction. It was a spur of the moment tactic that I am committed to seeing through until death or one that provides more self-entertainment value comes to me.

Nobody has ever looked like they understood the impact that giving up a lucky quarter could have on someone like the fictional character that I play in this scene.

Keep in mind this is probably the only interaction with strangers I am unable to avoid in my regular life.

Blumf

I think these guys should be giving the same legal powers as Mega City One street judges, along with a Lawgiver. But also, they can only swear using Judge Dredd style expletives like "Drokk!" or "Stomm!"