Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Shows that you imagine were a nightmare behind the scenes

Started by confettiinmyhair, May 18, 2022, 02:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

I've heard Come Dine With Me can be a bit hellish to work on sometimes. Mainly down to the contestants getting over competitive and drinking far too much wine during the shoot.

poodlefaker

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 18, 2022, 02:33:52 PMI've just finished watching Idris Elba's Fight School on BBC's iplayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/61079035

The premise of the show is Idris picking 8 wayward teens and twenty somethings and trying to teach them life lessons through boxing, something which helped Idris in his youth.

Monty Don had a crack at this years ago, 'cept with farming insted of fighting, obv. Can't remember much, but I think it rained and half the kids pissed off and didn't come back. The work was too hard and Donty was too posh; it all went to shit and he took it badly.

Povidone

That image at the top!

"Hi Monty going to do a review of your book, got any pre-fucked thumbnails we can blow up to full page size on our website?"

Anyone care to have a stab at what's written in the description above the title?

"A bleak 200 priory oaf twaaatspillon arst arsarsest garm a TV goitre"

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Povidone on May 19, 2022, 04:14:49 PM"A bleak 200 priory oaf twaaatspillon arst arsarsest garm a TV goitre"

"A real-life story of redemption and recovery - now a major TV series"

Povidone

dr beat

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2022, 03:26:36 PMI've heard Come Dine With Me can be a bit hellish to work on sometimes. Mainly down to the contestants getting over competitive and drinking far too much wine during the shoot.

There was one episode where one of the contestants was removed a day or two in, it was mentioned in-show but no reason given.  Some newspapers reported that they had been getting pissed up from 9.30am onwards amid other things.

dr beat

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 19, 2022, 02:56:05 PMHave to say that for all the hero worship of RTD round these parts, he has to take accountability for the shitshow he led in terms of behaviour. Culture comes from the top and he should have done something to make it stop.

I read A Writers Tale recently and RTD came across as pally with Clarke and Barrowman but in quite a surface way.  He also came across as a fundamentally decent and conscientious person.  I do wonder if he was too wrapped up in the writing and technical aspects to be cognizant of issues on set.  Not that excuses what went on.

As for RTD and Eccleston, I get the impression (well Wikipedia) both have mellowed over time.  But I'm no Who expert.

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 19, 2022, 10:21:03 AMThey don't watch the programmes at the broadcast times, throughout the week though do they? Makes more sense (in terms of having the room set up properly, have them made up and wearing the right clothes etc.) to get through the lot in one go.

They don't even show them the full programmes anymore, they show them all the same edited highlights to save time.

pigamus

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 19, 2022, 03:45:48 PMMonty Don had a crack at this years ago, 'cept with farming insted of fighting, obv. Can't remember much, but I think it rained and half the kids pissed off and didn't come back. The work was too hard and Donty was too posh; it all went to shit and he took it badly.

Are you sure it was Monty Don? He did a thing called My Dream Farm but it wasn't with kids

Replies From View

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 19, 2022, 06:08:17 PMThey don't even show them the full programmes anymore, they show them all the same edited highlights to save time.

Same as those talking heads shows, where a wodge of television presenters and old news readers and Andrew Collins "remember" adverts, comedy sketches and incredible cliffhangers from the past.  They're all behaving as if these things have left such a deep impression on them that they're recalling them 40 years after they saw them only one single solitary time, rather than only two minutes ago on the interviewer's laptop.

Goldentony

I would genuinely love to hear a story or two about the making of First Dates because me and a mate have seen every episode maybe three times now and there isn't a single decent person throughout all 400 series apart from the pensioner who isn't arsed rhat his son died and tells his date you just have to move on with things, and the guy from the first series who would reply to everything women would say, take for example hello, he'd go the equivalent "AH HELO YEAH, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN THOUGH? HELLO? YOU SAYING LIKE HELLO COME SHAG ME?" no matter what. Like every line. There was also the woman who turned up pissed, told her date he was "like a black Phil Mitchell" and stood up mid conversation to dance

Goldentony

Come to think of it at one point recently there was a lad cutting about in renaissance fair clobber and the conversation got to halal meat and then moved on really, really quickly when he said something about how his opinions on it arent worth it. To think there's just hours of incriminating pisshead shit out there.

C_Larence

Quote from: badaids on May 19, 2022, 06:19:48 AMI have a finely tuned cunt radar and that bloke has a massive cross sectional area.

Please tell me what you've heard to justify my otherwise irrational theory.

Don't have any details, just that somebody I know worked with him on a non TV project and said it was hell. I've never heard her say a bad word about anyone else so he must be awful.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I like the way on Gogglebox that each household will get up and start dancing and singing along to theme tunes or pieces of music, seemingly spontaneously and without prompting from the producers.

Also, do I really need hot takes from that Blackpool cunt and his sister on the latest political developments?

To Catch a Predator. But an even bigger nightmare for the guy on camera. Even worse than ending up on NTV.

Poobum

On Thomas Middleditch his wikipedia has a cracking couple of sentences

QuoteIn a 2019 Playboy interview, he revealed that the pair had an open relationship and said that "swinging has saved our marriage."[40] In May 2020, Gates filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences.[41]

Almost a short story ala "two baby's boots, never worn."

jobotic

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2022, 06:31:23 PMSame as those talking heads shows, where a wodge of television presenters and old news readers and Andrew Collins "remember" adverts, comedy sketches and incredible cliffhangers from the past.  They're all behaving as if these things have left such a deep impression on them that they're recalling them 40 years after they saw them only one single solitary time, rather than only two minutes ago on the interviewer's laptop.

And often all they have to say is an exact description of what they've just seen.

They do that on gogglebox too but with hilarious Northern swearing.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Kankurette on May 19, 2022, 07:46:35 PMHere we go.

Why are they all images with text? Serious question. Why not just make them like, regular web text?

I'm guessing the images are the right size for shitty social media sites like twitter and instagram and stuff, so people share them around without cropping out the "cracked.com" url because they're lazy or on a phone or just don't care, and people are like "that was interesting, I'll check that url, see if there's some more bollocks content I can read and share on my own shitty social media accounts."

People are more likely to read it if it's presented like that, very small amount of text with a picture.
Plain text aint got no url.
The hits just keep acoming.

Kankurette

It's generally what Cracked does, pictures with text on them.

badaids

Quote from: Replies From View on May 19, 2022, 11:48:25 AMChris Evans himself must have been an awful presence, just his smugness would have been insufferable and I bet there was a permanent smell of farts coming off him day and night like hairdresser salons have

He was always criticising his production team on air, and Im sure he sacked on too. Or maybe I dreamt that last bit.

Quote from: badaids on May 19, 2022, 10:13:20 PMHe was always criticising his production team on air, and Im sure he sacked on too. Or maybe I dreamt that last bit.

I'm sure he definitely did the old "You'll never work in television again!" bit with regard to one of his underlings at least once.

The final series of Sherlock sounded like it was a miserable production, with both lead actors refusing to speak to each other off camera and Freeman in the process of separating from the actress who also played his on-screen wife.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 19, 2022, 03:26:36 PMI've heard Come Dine With Me can be a bit hellish to work on sometimes. Mainly down to the contestants getting over competitive and drinking far too much wine during the shoot.

I've wondered about that too but more the shooting schedule. 4 or 5 intense days filming scattered across various towns in the country. And with some of the *ahem* characters on that show, it must be draining.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The later seasons of The Good Wife, after Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi feuded and Margulies refused to be in the same room as Panjabi. The toxic mood on set was a factor for Josh Charles, then Matthew Goode, who was his replacement, to give up. And I wonder how much the pay dispute is the real reason for Margulies not to guest star on The Good Fight.

Season 5 of Arrested Development was a miserable experience for everyone involved, but chiefly for Jessica Walters. Still, the way the rest of the cast defended Jeffrey Tambor makes me wonder how much Mitch Hurwitz was also responsible for it. Hurwitz would be very late with rewrites, causing the cast to wait on set, then to learn new lines in a hurry (and it didn't help that the material was still crap), and it wouldn't surprise me if Tambor, in asshole mood, unleashed his anger while Hurwitz was gone on the person opposite him, even if it were the blameless Walters. And it hurts even more that the rest of the cast (apart from Shawkat) handled the whole thing terribly.

Concerning last minute rewrites, Dan Harmon was terrible with them on Community, and was coming to terms with being self-diagnosed with Asperger's after a ten minute test on the web that justified for him to behave like an asshole (the alcoholic part was a different thing that also affected female writers). That's why (and not the Chevy Chase thing) he was fired after season 3. And when he returned, and Chevy Chase quit in a more peaceful way (and made everybody more comfortable), Donald Glover (who felt trapped playing the current version of Troy) and Yvette Nicole Brown (who resented the long hours on set) still left.

Luck. Inner fightings between show creator David Milch and executive producer/director Michael Mann (once again many last minute rewrites were involved). The death of two horses helped HBO find an excuse to cancel season 2 in the middle of production.

SMILF, because star-showrunner Frankie Shaw behaved in a totally unprofessional way concerning cast member Samara Weaving and sex scenes.

poodlefaker

Quote from: pigamus on May 19, 2022, 06:25:29 PMAre you sure it was Monty Don? He did a thing called My Dream Farm but it wasn't with kids

Deffo the Don; it was called Growing Out Of Trouble. The kids were all junkies, he'd pop in once a fortnight to do a bit of digging in his huge trousers, talk about crop rotation, cook them some organic beetroot, only to find they'd all walked into town to get their methadone scripts and some Greggs.

pigamus

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on May 19, 2022, 10:39:10 PMThe final series of Sherlock sounded like it was a miserable production, with both lead actors refusing to speak to each other off camera

Really? What did they fall out over?

Heroes is like a cautionary tale of how not to run an ongoing series- Tim Kring was such a hopeless showrunner that his writers' room turned into squabbling mess, with the writers refusing to co-operate with one another and frequently overruling each other's decisions, leading to characters constantly changing their motivations and powers episode by episode as the plot lurched in different directions depending on who was writing. It was such a disaster that when Bryan Fuller (who was responsible for the handful of decent episodes in the run) agreed to come back and try and sort things out, he basically ended up quitting almost immediately as it was beyond help. It was such a shambles it's incredible it lasted as long as it did.