Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2024

Started by selectivememory, January 01, 2024, 12:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

New season already underway. Aussie Open starts in a fortnight. Osaka, Nadal, Raducanu and Kerber all returning and in action this week. 

Really want to see a male champion who isn't Djokovic this year. I feel like, 2022 aside, when we had all the fun with his deportation and Rafa's improbable title run, this has become the most boring and predictable slam on the men's side. Sinner, Alcaraz and Medvedev should be able to challenge him, but I don't have a lot of faith after how the last season ended.

On the women's side there are loads of players I'm quite happy to see do well, but would really like to see a Swiatek-Sabalenka slam final at least once this year, as it feels like we're overdue one, and they are probably the biggest rivalry on the WTA tour at the moment.

Deanjam

Nice win for de Minaur over Djokovic in the United cup. Not often Djokovic loses in Australia.

selectivememory

De Minaur was not the guy I thought would end that winning streak in Australia, as he doesn't really have weapons beyond his elite athleticism, but happy for him. Nice to see him torment someone other than Andy Murray for once. Novak is supposedly injured, but we've heard all this before, especially in Australia, and it still doesn't seem to make a difference to his level there.

Definitely think Tennis Australia have come up with a winner with the United Cup as a season opener. A legit tournament, that still has a kind of fun exhibitiony feel about it, but with higher stakes than something like that Laver Cup nonsense. And there are some quality mixed doubles teams that you probably wouldn't get to see otherwise, Olympics aside.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 03, 2024, 11:39:29 AMDefinitely think Tennis Australia have come up with a winner with the United Cup as a season opener. A legit tournament, that still has a kind of fun exhibitiony feel about it, but with higher stakes than something like that Laver Cup nonsense. And there are some quality mixed doubles teams that you probably wouldn't get to see otherwise, Olympics aside.

No doubt it'll be replaced by the Saudi Masters 1000 soon.

selectivememory

Yeah... I mean even aside from the Saudia Arabia of it all, do we really need yet another Masters? It's bad enough that they're extending the duration of all the existing ones. Feels like they're going to slowly squeeze out the smaller tournaments. And there are some great 500s and 250s out there that would really suffer if they couldn't get top players anymore.

selectivememory

Hearing Emma's level was quite high against Svitolina before she tired and it dropped off. Saw she had some strapping on her thigh, hopefully nothing serious. Just want to see what she can do with a couple of seasons unhindered by injuries. I still feel like she's at least a top 20 player if she can stay fit.

selectivememory

Oh yuck, Germany and Zverev winning the United Cup definitely leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, after what was otherwise a really fun tournament. Hurkacz really blew it for the Poles. Should've beaten Zverev in straight sets earlier to finish off the tie and choked, and then was mostly a liability in the deciding mixed doubles. Still, Iga looks very good ahead of the Aussie Open, so silver linings I guess.

Saw Rybakina trounced Sabalenka in the Brisbane final, which is very intriguing as I assumed it would be a much closer match, and probably would've favoured Sabs a little. And also Dimitrov won his first title in years, which is simply nice to see. 

Oh, and Rafa's withdrawn with another new injury. Does feel like it is going to be more of a farewell tour for him this year rather than a serious return to action.

selectivememory

Ooh, Novak dropping a set to an 18-year-old. Obviously we know how this match will pan out, but still, always enjoy seeing him looking a bit grumpy and put out, even if only for a little while.

selectivememory

Haha, he's down a break in the third now. Prizmic playing really well. I'm just going to enjoy this while it lasts.

Deanjam

Prizmic is very highly touted, since winning the French Juniors last year. Looks similar to the match Djokvic had with Holger Rune at US Open 2021 in his slam debut. Made his mark by winning a set off Djokovic, but lost in 4.

Deanjam

Wish someone would tell Kyrgios to stop slurping and sighing into the microphone.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on January 14, 2024, 11:23:32 AMLooks similar to the match Djokvic had with Holger Rune at US Open 2021 in his slam debut.

I expect Djokovic will progress serenely through the rest of the draw, but it would be nice if it does continue with the US Open 2021 vibes, and he gets involved in a load of long, gruelling contests and has nothing left in the tank come the final. Feels like our best hope at seeing a new champ here anyway.

BTW, if you're subscribed to Discovery+, there are streams available with no commentary! Will probably be making use of them a lot because I am not going to subject myself to Nick Kyrgios if I can help it.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on January 14, 2024, 11:50:41 AMBTW, if you're subscribed to Discovery+, there are streams available with no commentary! Will probably be making use of them a lot because I am not going to subject myself to Nick Kyrgios if I can help it.

I'm watching on Eurosport. No point me paying for a stream as I'll only be able to watch it at weekends and over breakfast before work. Might have to sync up the BBC radio commentary.

selectivememory

Yeah, I often do the radio commentary thing during Wimbledon, because Andrew Castle.

Deanjam

Oh go on then, while it's a new thread.

selectivememory

It's the fact it's so specific that gets me. Just the once, in 1986.

lankyguy95

I don't know how — I'm frequently irritated by commentators — but I'm able to mentally tune out Castle. He says some absurd things but I don't think he's a uniformly terrible commentator, and when they bring in the murderously infuriating John Inverdale, Castle suddenly sounds like Dan Maskell.

I rewatched the '08 Wimbledon final the other day and he leaves a lot of space during the key points of that epic fourth set tie break.

Incidentally, that match was a little different to what my memory had coloured in.

BlodwynPig

QuoteIn 2005, he presented the quiz show Perseverance; he presented two series of the teatime game show Divided (2009–2010); and appeared on Beat the Star on 24 May 2009 – all on ITV. He took part in ITV programme 71 Degrees North in 2010

*Partridge shrug gif*

I was out of the country during this period in his broadcasting career. Any good?

dontpaintyourteeth

Deanjam

Murray well beaten 422 in round one. Talked about it may be the last time at Aussie Open for him. Retirement could be coming at Wimbledon.

selectivememory

Osaka-Garcia certainly sounds like a fun opening round on paper. Should be some big hitting.

selectivememory

Garcia looks really sharp. Would be like her to lose meekly in the next round after that performance, but would really love to see her go on a run here. Few players as likeable as she is.

Not bad at all from Osaka. Will be interesting to see if she can get back to her previous level at some point this year.

BlodwynPig

Have the French turned the corner? Just shy of 50% success rate in round 1, i think. A lot of new blood too.

Kiss of death, i know...

Deanjam

Woke up to Andreeva thrashing Ons Jabeur 60 62. Shocking.

Deanjam

Peak French inconsistency from Garcia.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on January 17, 2024, 10:43:34 AMPeak French inconsistency from Garcia.

Of course.

I did think people were overhyping her win over Osaka just a little bit. Was very good, but people were acting like it was one of the best performances in her career. And Osaka was OK, but not really close to her best.

Not that shocked about the Jabeur result sadly. She can throw in a real stinker every now and then, and Andreeva is so good for her age. Seems on a similar career trajectory to Gauff when she was 16. Will be interesting to see how she adapts as she climbs the rankings.

Pretty sure Wimbledon is always going to be Jabeur's best bet for a major. Too many good players on the hard courts, Iga dominant on clay, but the grass a bit of a leveller, and she's so good on it herself. Hope to see it, but I did read recently that she's wanting to start a family soon and it sounds like the only thing that's stopping her at the moment is that lack of a slam title.  They're getting tougher to win now though; definitely don't think the next five years will be as open as the previous five or six have been.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Deanjam on January 17, 2024, 10:43:34 AMPeak French inconsistency from Garcia.

as preddoed. Fuck sake. Most underwhelming Tennis nation.

BlodwynPig

French success falling away now. A few notables like Van Assche and Parry. Mannarino will fall in next round.

selectivememory

Fils and Humbert are the two I would be placing hope in for the next few years. Fils in particular I think is going to be a properly good player.

selectivememory

Looks like he's probably going to survive it, but still, it's encouraging to see Djokovic scrapping with these lower-ranked players so early on and spending a lot more time than he usually would on court. Definitely not anywhere near his best yet.