Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:10:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 23-24: Part 3: End of an Era - Auf Wiedersehen, Jürgen

Started by Kankurette, March 17, 2024, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

If City are found guilty then relegation to the Championship would be a laughably weak punishment, they'd be back competing for the title within 2-3 years.

I forgot Everton still have a 2nd charge against them awaiting verdict, to be announced by April 8th apparently. Fingers crossed!

Armin Meiwes

And then maybe Scott Parker for 2 more years at the end of that just to make sure they've definitely learnt their lesson.

ersatz99

I reckon UEFA successfully banning them from European competition for maybe 3 seasons would be the only way to destabilise their dominance, but they've tried that already and failed.

Brian Freeze

Hopefully City wouldn't get parachute payments if automatically relegated. That ought to make it a lot more difficult for them.

mippy

Quote from: Kankurette on March 19, 2024, 03:20:10 PMCity fan entitlement seems to be a thing now. Some City fans have very short memories and forget how utterly shit they were in the '90s. My brother and I were talking about this when I was over there for a Mothers' Day get together before Mum went on holiday (and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I AM NEVER GOING TO LIVERPOOL ON ST PATRICK'S DAY AGAIN), and he was considering cutting down on Everton matches after they move to Bramley Moore (if that happens) because he's so fed up with Everton in general, and we got onto City and how when we were growing up in the '90s, City were a joke team. United were dominating everything and City were like their embarrassing sibling and the only cool thing about them was that the Gallaghers were fans. There are City fans who've only known success, but older ones like my Manc uncle will remember the days when they were getting twatted every weekend and their red friends and colleagues laughed at them, and then they went down and ended up playing York and Gillingham and the Sheffields and Shaun Goater was one of their star players.

A colleague of mine was at Manchester University a couple of years before me and you used to be able to get tickets to Maine Road from the student union for a tenner, so he went a few times. As someone who only got to see international games on TV, I barely knew they existed until I'd see people walking to and from the ground on a Saturday. Is that team the same team that play at the Etihad? I mean...well...obviously not literally the same team, but they don't feel like the same club, do they?

mippy

Quite a few Leicester players went when they got relegated, though not sure if them coming straight back up was seen as a foregone conclusion as it would be with City.

Trying to think now if most of the Leeds players stayed after relegation. I don't think they lost any big names as with Ward-Prowse or Maddison.

Jasha

Quote from: mippy on March 19, 2024, 04:49:20 PMA colleague of mine was at Manchester University a couple of years before me and you used to be able to get tickets to Maine Road from the student union for a tenner, so he went a few times. As someone who only got to see international games on TV, I barely knew they existed until I'd see people walking to and from the ground on a Saturday. Is that team the same team that play at the Etihad? I mean...well...obviously not literally the same team, but they don't feel like the same club, do they?

In the mid eighties City kept an allocation of free tickets just for the unemployed, can't imagine that in their current iteration (goes for most clubs these days though)

Kankurette

I don't see why they can't just carry the Everton punishment into next season. Why give the points back if you'll just knock them off?

Luton fans must be very nervous right now. Everton and Forest getting points knocked off helps them.
Quote from: mippy on March 19, 2024, 04:49:20 PMA colleague of mine was at Manchester University a couple of years before me and you used to be able to get tickets to Maine Road from the student union for a tenner, so he went a few times. As someone who only got to see international games on TV, I barely knew they existed until I'd see people walking to and from the ground on a Saturday. Is that team the same team that play at the Etihad? I mean...well...obviously not literally the same team, but they don't feel like the same club, do they?
Yep, I never went but you could get City match tickets there. Kind of wish I had now.

gabrielconroy

I think Everton should be relegated. Not sure why, I just do.

Kankurette

You and everyone else in this thread. (Except me. And the Everton fans.)

I still have a soft spot for the useless twats even if supporting them for 26 years broke me.

The Culture Bunker

Feel sorry for Coventry's Kasey Palmer - when the winning goal went in for them on Saturday, he ran on the pitch to join in the celebrations (having been subbed earlier in the game) and thus got booked. As that was his second yellow in the tournament, he's now banned for semi.

Kankurette

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 19, 2024, 07:29:25 PMFeel sorry for Coventry's Kasey Palmer - when the winning goal went in for them on Saturday, he ran on the pitch to join in the celebrations (having been subbed earlier in the game) and thus got booked. As that was his second yellow in the tournament, he's now banned for semi.

Why do refs hate fun?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Kankurette on March 19, 2024, 09:51:47 PMWhy do refs hate fun?
I assume they enforce the rules to the letter out of fear of being demoted. Certainly the ref on Sunday was chasing after the celebrations to dish out the second yellow.

Makes more sense than, say, Harry Maguire being booked for taking a boot to the chest.

Psybro

QuoteThe project was approved by the Conservative councillors for Chingford's Endlebury ward.

Starmer is on unsteady ground on Rwanda and just needs to press on this particular wound instead.

Kankurette

pandadeath

Luxembourg just scored a brilliant equaliser against Georgia only for the kick off to be halted to look at a potential penalty up the other end. Referee went over to the screen and didn't give a penalty but sent off the Luxembourg centre back for denying a goalscoring opportunity. Seems like a really harsh decision.

Georgia have just scored a second now too, game looks like it's over all because of a contentious VAR decision

Inspector Norse

bgmnts

Wales through to the play-off final; reckon Poland might cunt them into oblivion.

buttgammon

Poobum

Poor ol' San Marino, make history scoring in four consecutive games, except its during a 3-1 defeat to Saint Kitts and Nevis. Not too surprised, can't imagine San Marino qualifying for the Gold Cup, for multiple reasons.

Gambrinus

Andorra managed a 1-1 draw with South Africa, which seems like a good result for them, although I know nowt about African football.

Kankurette

Sean Dyche and Nathan Patterson, cat edition.

Explanation:
QuoteAs Jamie Carragher mops up the mess from his ill-advised gag on CBS last week, another Premier League bantz merchant is joining him in the doghouse.
With Everton mired in a relegation battle, Sean Dyche took his side on a warm weather training camp to Portugal, plotting a few tactical tweaks over a steaming bowl of Amêijoas à Bulhão Pato.
But according to local press, a team meal out descended into a "heated confrontation" between Dyche and his players after the manager aimed a "jocular slap" at the head of young defender Nathan Patterson.
Expecting the squad to collapse in guffaws at his mischief, Dyche was instead met by horrified silence before a furious Patterson and his teammates berated him in a scene that "caused a stir among fellow restaurant diners".
As tensions rose, vice-captain James Tarkowski was forced to step in and pull Dyche away from the table to calm down.

Quote from: Kankurette on March 22, 2024, 10:00:35 AMSean Dyche and Nathan Patterson, cat edition.

Explanation:

Eat....Slap....Fight... and that's the Burnley way.