Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Switch 2

Started by Beagle 2, February 16, 2024, 10:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Sorry, there's no new news that's prompted this thread, but it's forefront in my mind as I got a weird black screen message on my Switch last night before it went fizz-kaput and is now totally dead. I've been having all sorts of issues with it of late due to the fact it's 7 years old and bashed about, so I could do with a replacement anyway, but now I'm in limbo as the rumours are that the next one might arriving as soon as September.

There is speculation about what it will be, but in terms of what I want, and what I imagine 99% of consumers probably want, it's pretty much the same thing but more powerful. Backwards compatibility, ability to connect locally to old Switches, whatever it takes to achieve that, it has to happen because dem games ain't cheap and I have an awful lot of them. 

Hardware-wise, I would like it to be actually comfortable to hold. For me they can dump the detachable joy-cons completely - they're pointless, they're shit and they rattle. All my friends' kids have Switches and I've never seen any of them pop off the joy-cons and play a game using the joy-cons, even a six-year-old is like these are shit dad buy me some proper controllers. The LCD screen is fine and I imagine it will launch with one. That's it. I'm sure they're hatching some AR camera shit nobody will use and a crap VR headset you can make out of stickle bricks and god knows what else, but anything other than an improved version of what they already have would be suicide.

What would YOOOOOU like to see from a Switch TWOOOOOO?

MojoJojo

Do you actually play many Nintendo exclusives? I mostly play indies, and so I'm really tempted by a steam deck.

Kelvin

I have to imagine it will be their most conservative upgrade ever, with the gimmicks all being kept on the periphery, and the main focus being (relatively) stronger hardware, but still weaker than the other next gen consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if the controllers barely change, just incorporate the tech to avoid drift and maybe some inessential gimmick, like a terrible camera or realistic bollocks that hang off the back. 

Upscaling old games has been talked about and would be a nice incentive for people to get one early on, but I don't know if that will be true backwards compatibility or just re-releases of select games. Backwards compatibility seems to be the thing everyone wants, but I honestly don't know how realistic that is from Nintendo at this stage. The continuity will be their Online Service, I reckon - you'll still have all the same classic games, and they'll add a bunch more. Gamecube won't come though, as they'll just milk that era for remakes. 

I really liked the Switch tactic of releasing upgraded ports between big, new titles, but with so few Wii U games left I assume they'll shift to remaking beloved classics, with obvious examples like Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario RPG and Thousand Year Door already starting down that path.

Ultimately, the Switch is my favourite ever console, so it's not a hard sell to me. And so long as it doesn't squirt cat shit in your face, I'm probably in from day one.       

Beagle 2

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 16, 2024, 10:26:03 AMDo you actually play many Nintendo exclusives? I mostly play indies, and so I'm really tempted by a steam deck.

Got a Steam Deck and loved it for a while but I actually ended up going back to the Switch for anything but emulation. Switch is lighter, simpler, no arsing about with control schemes, guaranteed to work when you dock it where the Steam Deck can sometimes look a bit shit on a telly for reasons I could probably sort out but can't be arsed. There are loads more and loads cheaper indie games on Steam, obviously, but they are just a perfect fit for Switch.

On the plus side, my Steam Deck hasn't sploded.

madhair60

honestly a Switch 2 that is literally just a more powerful Switch that runs everything better would be fine by me. Backwards compatibility is essential, anything else is just gravy.

and do I play nintendo exclusives? they're the only exclusives i care about, haha. well, except Gears.

Mister Six

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 16, 2024, 10:26:03 AMDo you actually play many Nintendo exclusives? I mostly play indies, and so I'm really tempted by a steam deck.

We have a bunch, although a lot of them were bought by my sister-in-law and her husband, and we play using her account on the family package (she plays using her husband's account). Nintendo exclusives are expensive, but usually exquisitely designed and with tons of play and replay value.

madhair60

mm-hmm. I've been playing Mario 3D World for, ooh, nine years and change?

Memorex MP3

8" screen

Analogue trigger buttons (coupled with a £20 increase on Joycons), IR sensors on both sides

A more advanced dock in some manner, I'm not sure what

Possibly some sort of system that allows dual screen play that will ultimately be used for very little other than ports? Given how much of a money maker Splatoon has been in terms of Switch sales I feel like they might want to push more local multiplayer games that require multiple devices and there's probably a lot of shelved Wii U ideas that weren't deemed viable due to the Wii U flopping so hard.

jamiefairlie

I end up buying every Nintendo console eventually but only when the new Zelda comes out which this time round will be at least 5 years from now.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 16, 2024, 11:40:51 AMGot a Steam Deck and loved it for a while but I actually ended up going back to the Switch for anything but emulation. Switch is lighter, simpler, no arsing about with control schemes, guaranteed to work when you dock it where the Steam Deck can sometimes look a bit shit on a telly for reasons I could probably sort out but can't be arsed. There are loads more and loads cheaper indie games on Steam, obviously, but they are just a perfect fit for Switch.

On the plus side, my Steam Deck hasn't sploded.

Might be talking out of my arse here but I noticed that issue of it looking shit when connected to a monitor, and realised it only seemed to be a problem when I was playing in Steam Deck mode. When I switch to Desktop mode it seems to be a lot better. Like I said this could be based on absolutely nothing, but it's worth comparing the two to check.

Definitely agree that the Deck is just a bit too unwieldy to be used on the move as comfortably as the Switch can, although on the other hand it does function as a decent PC.

druss

Never played anything on Switch but might get a Switch 2 if it runs well on TV. Botw seems like an essential experience from what I've read.

Pink Gregory

Nintendo has a history of difficult launches, so I can see why they'd want to avoid that.

Memorex MP3

With PS5 now actually available and the price dropping it could wind up eating into the next Nintendo machine's Christmas sales this year in a big way so there probably isn't much upside to racing it out for Christmas

The original Switch had a pretty perfect first year; massive release on launch, several months of building up the catalogue with third party releases and then another major one right around Christmas.