Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Prisoner: Cell Block H is BACK!

Started by DrGreggles, September 02, 2023, 12:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

On Channel 5's streaming plaform (Who knew?!)
https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/01/prisoner-cell-block-h-tv-return-channel-5-my5-19430120/

Have we ever had a thread devoted to, what some people* refer to as, THE GREATEST TV SHOW OF ALL TIME?

I'm aware that there have been accusations of bad acting, poor writing, silly plots, and low production values, but I genuinely love it.

So let's show it the love it deserves and post our favourite characters, moments, and general memories of this televisual behemoth.

*me

Twonty Gostelow

I'm still trying to track down the episode that featured a woman in dungarees shouting at another woman in front of some unconvincing brickwork. (I am hilarious.)

I vaguely remember quite a few 'dramatic' walk-and-talk scenes (before The West Wing!), but I never really watched enough to get into it - was it actually better than it's given credit for?

Ambient Sheep

I've been doing a watch of it for the last couple of years or so at two a week.  Am up to ep 235, so at that rate it'll be another four-and-a-half years before I've done all 692!

I've mostly been enjoying it, actually, although silly at times, it's genuinely quite good.

Always fun to work out what IQ they've given Doreen in any given week.

Uncle TechTip

I've got to ep 104 in about six months. They are all on Youtube it seems. It reminds me of watching it with my late mum so haha you can't even have a go at me.

I thought the Frankie and Doreen story over the first 50 odd eps was pretty good and well played. But after that a lot of interminable stories with the doctor, Karen Travers, Pat O'Connell, Paul Reid... then at around 100 it's like there's a big shakeout behind the scenes, storylines are wrapped up in one sentence, there's impossible plot shortcuts, it seems faintly ridiculous at the moment. But I think they are leading up to a big escape story with Lou Carpenter and that's what it always became, waiting for the next escape or riot. Around 100 is also where I started watching with my mum on Granada so it's weird to see the episodes and actually remember them.

The acting isn't so bad but Vera Bennett seems to stand out as weak and the character is actually well written with some interesting mother issues but this seems to peter out quickly. The core characters Bea, Lizzie, Doreen are all really strong.

I am enjoying being able to read reaction alongside via Google news searches, there are many Aus newspapers you can search. And it's incredible to think this went out at 8.30pm twice a week, with stabbings, fights, drugs, lesbian action and lots of "barstads".

DrGreggles

Marie Winter's helicopter escape, with no noticeable dummy, is a personal favourite.

George White

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 02, 2023, 08:48:32 AMPAUL REID
Paul Reid's one of the US Naval officers in the Spy Who Loved Me
Also in a very odd Aussie giallo called End Play as  a looney in a wheelchair.

Butchers Blind

George White

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 02, 2023, 12:31:38 AMOn Channel 5's streaming plaform (Who knew?!)
https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/01/prisoner-cell-block-h-tv-return-channel-5-my5-19430120/

Have we ever had a thread devoted to, what some people* refer to as, THE GREATEST TV SHOW OF ALL TIME?

I'm aware that there have been accusations of bad acting, poor writing, silly plots, and low production values, but I genuinely love it.

So let's show it the love it deserves and post our favourite characters, moments, and general memories of this televisual behemoth.

*me

BTW been enjoying your podcast on the series too.

PS, I was recently reminded of the short-lived US version, because the 'Mum' proxy was played by the African-American actress Lynne Hamilton (ironic that PCBH involved two different Lynn(e) Hamiltons), who is in Lady Sings the Blues.
The Bea character was the wonderfully named Katherine Justice, who played Gene Barry's conspiratorial wife in Prescription Murder, the first Columbo.

I have a Scottish friend who had something of an obsession with Jock Stewart (who was Scottish IRL, Tommy Dysart - also did an even odder Australian giallo called Next of Kin).

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno if it's still there but some dedicated soul seemingly uploaded all of them to youtube a few years ago.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 02, 2023, 10:29:21 AMDunno if it's still there but some dedicated soul seemingly uploaded all of them to youtube a few years ago.

Yes, all still there.
The My5 ones should be better quality though.

Gulftastic

The recent remake says a lot about modern TV. It has the same characters but they are all about ten times more attractive than in the original.

DrGreggles

Never watched it.
The clips I've seen make it look a little too polished, and that's not what I want from my Priz.

Glebe

Quote from: Glebe on September 02, 2023, 04:42:28 PMLate night ITV ahoy!

Monday nights, followed by the atrocious Let The Blood Run Free on YTV.

I recall that there were 692 episodes and it went off the boil after Bea left.

The future Harold Bishop, Ian Smith, was a writer for the series as well as having two roles. Stefan Dennis was in one of the early series. Mrs Mangel (Vivean Gray) is also in it. Sheila Florance (Lizzie) was in Mad Max.

Val Lehman is still alive.

There was a prequel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_(TV_series)

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 02, 2023, 05:29:00 PMI recall that there were 692 episodes and it went off the boil after Bea left.

That's true - and the last episode was a big disappointment.  The plug was pulled on it at very short notice due to falling viewer numbers so they had to wrap it all up quickly and bring it to a (fairly baffling) conclusion.  A really great show for quite a few years though.

DrGreggles

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on September 02, 2023, 06:10:54 PMthe last episode was a big disappointment.

I thought the ending was fantastic.
So many shows fall at the final hurdle, but Priz nailed it.

It's been a long time since I saw it, but that ending just left me confused.  I mean, it was always a show where you had to suspend your disbelief to infinity and back, but
Spoiler alert
surely there's no way in the world they'd have stuck The Freak in block H of all places.  And what was going on with Rita in the last scene?  One minute she was at death's door with cancer, then right at the end she was laughing and joking with the other women.
[close]

Like I say though, it was a long time ago and I may be confusing things.

DrGreggles

Realism has never really been a factor.

Spoiler alert
Meg and Anne Yates were both in Cell Block H when they were inside too.
[close]

Spoiler alert
As for Rita, the suggestion was that she was 'performing' to an extent to set Joan up.
[close]

jobotic

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on September 02, 2023, 09:51:50 AM

"You really are the most uncouth slut, Doyle".

Brilliant!

I had a dvd which seemed to be about 5 random episodes.

Remember watching this with my sister after the pub. Its a great programme with some great characters.

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 02, 2023, 08:17:04 PMRealism has never really been a factor.

Spoiler alert
Meg and Anne Yates were both in Cell Block H when they were inside too.
[close]

Spoiler alert
As for Rita, the suggestion was that she was 'performing' to an extent to set Joan up.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I remember Meg being inside, can't remember the the thing with Anne though.  Rita acting up doesn't ring any bells, I'm looking forward to watching this again from the start.
I wish for the final scene they'd had Meg's first husband waking up in hospital with a pair of scissors still sticking out of his back going "Oh...it was all a dream".
[close]

DrGreggles

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on September 02, 2023, 09:51:45 PM
Spoiler alert
I remember Meg being inside, can't remember the the thing with Anne though.  Rita acting up doesn't ring any bells, I'm looking forward to watching this again from the start.
I wish for the final scene they'd had Meg's first husband waking up in hospital with a pair of scissors still sticking out of his back going "Oh...it was all a dream".
[close]

Spoiler alert
Anne Yates was very early. Probably a screw from day one.

Rita's condition was hinted at rather than telegraphed. She was definitely ill, but it was implied that she wasn't quite on death's door - as the final line of the show sort of confirmed.
Joan would have a decent case for entrapment, if she hadn't completely fallen for it or been so greedy.
[close]

Thanks, that makes sense - I'm going to cheat and re-watch the last few episodes on YouTube when I've got time.

shiftwork2

DrGreggles

Gulftastic

I still like to use Doreen's phrase 'she thinks she's it and a bit.' So marvellously Aussie

You'll get wrinkles on your wrinkles, Wrinkles.