Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

That dog eating scene in Peep Show

Started by Barry Admin, June 10, 2021, 06:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did you like it?

Dreadful
45 (53.6%)
Actually, I thought it was great
39 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 84

imitationleather

Quote from: Fried Egg Sandwich on June 10, 2021, 08:16:20 AM
Imagine being so insecure that you gatekeep sitcoms. I'm sure your IQ is well above average mate, don't worry.

I love it when people respond to things being criticised like this.

thenoise

It's actually quite a good episode, apart from the climax, which ruins everything that came before it when you realise that that was what it was all leading up to.

Dog eating aside S4 is one of the better ones overall.

Leej88

That Hippie has sold me down the river.

Scrapey Fish

I can imagine Mark kicking a dog to death if it was making a lunge at him and he (rightly or wrongly) believed his own life was at risk, plus was not in a healthy mental state to begin with

Barry Admin

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 10, 2021, 09:03:58 AM
Mark: (thinks) I've sent a threatening letter to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death...

Jeremy: It's a good thing you had those boots on.

This is a fucking brilliant line, btw. It only just properly clicked with me hours later.

I was just thinking about how Mark's line left so much to the imagination, in terms of how, why and where it happened, then I had the mental image of him trying to kick a dog to death with soft shoes.

zomgmouse

good times

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2021, 05:44:20 PM
This is a fucking brilliant line, btw. It only just properly clicked with me hours later.

I was just thinking about how Mark's line left so much to the imagination, in terms of how, why and where it happened, then I had the mental image of him trying to kick a dog to death with soft shoes.

The jovial way Jez delivers the line is what makes it I think, that - and how easy it is to miss and connect to what Mark has just said.

Psybro

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 10, 2021, 09:43:39 AM
For me that happens in series 5 with the episode where Mark is raped. It's a dark episode outside of this moment and feels terribly broken.

Yeah just as bad for me was how beastly Jez is to his mum in that episode, like Simon from the Inbetweeners but it doesn't seem to fit Jez's usual methods of being a shitty person.

I showed my wife the stag episode with a heavy disclaimer but she found the delivery of "I don't want any turkey Jeremy, I'm FULL" and the owner's hysterical reaction the funniest things in the series to that point. It pushes the absurdity a notch above what's gone before and it seems highly subjective whether you go with it or not.

I personally found the scene in S2 where Jez walks in on Mark self-harming and the aforementioned plot to get the gym trainer sacked more tonally jarring.

Leej88

Jez and Mark are awful in that episode at the Gym, They deserve the ass-kicking at the end.

Ferris

Quote from: Jockice on June 10, 2021, 08:31:23 AM
I actually watched this very scene yesterday, while trying to distract myself from doing any work I clicked on a link called 'Mark and Jeremy's most embarrassing moments' or suchlike. For me the whole thing doesn't work not because it's horrible but because all Jeremy had to do before getting on the barge with it was claim that the bag was full of rubbish and put it into a bin. No further questions would have been asked. I know comedy often stretches the bounds of normality, but I think even Trigger or Frank Spencer would have done that.

Or even just throw it in the canal they're standing next to so no-one can check. Or just leave the dog next to the failed grave-hole from earlier (or literally anywhere). It's not CSI, you'll get away with it.

Makes no sense to carry around the evidence, and then claim it is a bin bag full of barbecue (?!) when questioned.

I still enjoy all of peep show (yes, even the later seasons) because the gags are so sharp and well observed (even within the dead dog fire episode), but that storyline is a bit of a clunker.

Ferris

Re: "kicking a dog to death", I always assumed it was hyperbole and actually he just kicked it once when it was attacking him, but hard enough to end the encounter. Mark is too cowardly to actually seek out a large angry animal and finish it off.

pancreas

ASFTSN

Quote from: Psybro on June 14, 2021, 01:06:55 PM
Yeah just as bad for me was how beastly Jez is to his mum in that episode, like Simon from the Inbetweeners but it doesn't seem to fit Jez's usual methods of being a shitty person.

I cracked up at "Mum-my, cof-fee, fucky hurry up-ee" though.

Leej88

Jez is a narcissist so it fits that he would be awful to his Mum, Maybe his Dad was the same.

Ferris

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 14, 2021, 02:25:55 PM
I cracked up at "Mum-my, cof-fee, fucky hurry up-ee" though.

This pops into my head all the time.

Sebastian Cobb

The "We like Taggart... Even the new ones" from Mark as a refutation stuck with me.

As a former dog owner, I hated that episode and have never re-watched it. Killing and eating someone's beloved pet goes beyond shock humour - it just isn't funny to me. Also as others have said, it made no sense - clearly, they came up with the 'dog eating' concept first then wrote backwards from there.

Weirdly, it's my brother's favourite episode. He's a broad comedy fan whose favourite show is Little Britain, so maybe it worked with that audience.

jfjnpxmy

It always annoyed me that the judo class at the end of "Gym" had everyone talking about punching, kicking and chopping.

thenoise

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on June 14, 2021, 04:59:20 PM
As a former dog owner, I hated that episode and have never re-watched it. Killing and eating someone's beloved pet goes beyond shock humour - it just isn't funny to me. Also as others have said, it made no sense - clearly, they came up with the 'dog eating' concept first then wrote backwards from there.

Or attempted to, couldn't quite make it work, then settled on pointing out it doesn't work within the episodes and hoping the performances sell it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I do think it's pretty jarring for the episode and not really funny enough to justify it, rest of the episode isn't that bad though. However, whenever this discussion comes up on here someone always asks why they didn't throw the dog into the canal, even though the answer is obviously because it would float.

Leej88

I did not find it funny Jez and Mark were awful in series 4.

Noodle Lizard

I've never seen it as quite so much of a shark-jump as others have, in part because I think the final exchange between Mark and Jeremy acknowledges the ridiculousness of it in an almost meta fashion[nb]EDIT: I just saw that sevendaughters had mentioned this as their reason to dislike it all the more - to each their own![/nb]. "I don't know - in the moment, it really did feel like I needed to eat it." That line might as well have been replaced by a shot of Armstrong/Bain shrugging at the audience.

Series 4 definitely marked a noticeable decrease in quality, and I learned it was a considerably more rushed and hectic production than the first three, but the really iffy moments came a bit later on. I still can't watch the episode where Gerard dies, it's fucking terrible. I maintain that the Series 4 finale would've been a perfect place to bow out, all things considered, but the latter half of the run had it's good moments too.

Leej88

The one with Sophie's parents and when they go to Kettering it has some funny lines.

Psybro

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 14, 2021, 09:59:17 PM
I still can't watch the episode where Gerard dies, it's fucking terrible.

Even that has the bit with Mark torturing Jez into confession via Indian takeaway, which had me rolling.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Psybro on June 14, 2021, 10:19:54 PM
Even that has the bit with Mark torturing Jez into confession via Indian takeaway, which had me rolling.

Is that the same episode? Fair enough.

Funnily, I rewatched the first series of Fresh Meat not long ago and there's a scene where Jack Whitehall coerces Robert Webb's professor character into helping him cheat an exam via an Indian takeaway. Both episodes must've been filmed within the same year or so, now I think of it.

pigamus

Quote from: Psybro on June 14, 2021, 10:19:54 PM

Johnson's eulogy is much worse than the dead dog imo

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: pigamus on June 14, 2021, 10:31:40 PM
Johnson's eulogy is much worse than the dead dog imo

QFE. So was Mark's, for that matter. It makes no sense that someone as neurotic and self-conscious as that wouldn't spare the extra 30 seconds to make a good impression, even to his own detriment. Very cheap comedy, there, existing in a world absolutely nobody lives in. You could make an argument that the dog-eating happened in extraordinary circumstances (however convoluted), but this was just pure lazy writing.

paruses

I meant to ask a page ago - what's that about Mark getting raped? I don't recall anything like that (or is this a simple lampoon?)