Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Any board gamers here?

Started by Stigdu, June 24, 2022, 05:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

not really. I have a couple of friends who are big board game players and it seems to have also made them insane. also they pick boring games all the time and the one time I chose the game we all had an absolute riot of a time, big grins, huge laughs, hours of fun, then they said it was shit, so fuck board games and fuck everybody who plays them to be perfectly honest.

Stigdu

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2022, 08:37:50 AMnot really. I have a couple of friends who are big board game players and it seems to have also made them insane. also they pick boring games all the time and the one time I chose the game we all had an absolute riot of a time, big grins, huge laughs, hours of fun, then they said it was shit, so fuck board games and fuck everybody who plays them to be perfectly honest.

They probably played something fairly medium or heavywweight. I prefer the lighter, more fun games. Can't tar everybody with the same brush just because of one bad experience.

Mr Vegetables

Me and my friends played loads before the pandemic but less so now; now we sit in our houses alone. I really like and recommend Great Western Trail, though. It took us four hours to understand the rules because we are idiots, but once we did the whole game fits together in a really pleasing way.

I also really like Spirit Island, but it is another game which takes a long time to understand. At first we got the rules wrong in at least three fundamental ways, and got relentlessly crushed by the invading human beings because we'd made them impossible to win against by mistake. I imagine that's what happened in real life, as well

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2022, 08:37:50 AMnot really. I have a couple of friends who are big board game players and it seems to have also made them insane. also they pick boring games all the time and the one time I chose the game we all had an absolute riot of a time, big grins, huge laughs, hours of fun, then they said it was shit, so fuck board games and fuck everybody who plays them to be perfectly honest.

I'd say this is probably quite a common experience.  Lots of modern games are quite solitary experiences, everyone with their heads down working on their own little puzzle.  Which is great if that's what everyone wants, but it's not exactly interactive and sociable fun.  There are loads of rules-light party games though, which are as much about the people playing as the game itself.  Games like Just One, Cockroach Poker, The Resistance, For Sale, Werewords and Dixit work well with large mixed groups.

madhair60

Quote from: Stigdu on July 01, 2022, 09:54:29 AMThey probably played something fairly medium or heavywweight. I prefer the lighter, more fun games. Can't tar everybody with the same brush just because of one bad experience.

i'm exaggerating for hopefully comic effect. I do in fact enjoy board games, I just don't have good company to play them.

Stigdu

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2022, 04:52:31 PMi'm exaggerating for hopefully comic effect. I do in fact enjoy board games, I just don't have good company to play them.

I'm getting that 'exaggerated/hyperbolic sweary responses' are the standard around here now. Pretty soon, I'll be part of the furniture!

But yeah, I prefer games where you have a laugh or point fingers, or preferably both. The Resistance, Wavelength, Werewolf, Just One, and so on. I only play board games with my wife and 10yo daughter, so although I own heavier games like Scythe, Obsession, The Thing and so on, I don't have the right group for those types of games.

Johnny Textface

I play backgammon to an uncommonly high level.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Johnny Textface on July 03, 2022, 01:19:02 PMI play backgammon to an uncommonly high level.
Excellent choice. I fear, alas, that Backgammon NJ on Android has led me into bad habits.

Replies From View

Ghost Castle - glow in the dark skull in it