Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:43:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Venture Bros movie finale is OUT

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2023, 08:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

gooooo get it. No spoilers from me.

madhair60

it's very good. you can tell it's a speedrun of a planned full season though.

Small Man Big Horse

Where is it though? As it's not on any of my regular torrent sites...

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's in the process of getting uploaded on a few places.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 21, 2023, 07:01:46 PMWhere is it though? As it's not on any of my regular torrent sites...

TL have it but it's only 720p

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 21, 2023, 09:07:32 PMTL have it but it's only 720p

Someone was kind enough to send me a link so I've got it now, and I'm more than okay with 720p, with animation like this I rarely notice the difference between it and 1080p.

Applemask

It "should" be on Channel Four drekly

Small Man Big Horse

I loved this, from the beginning it felt completely right, like there hadn't been a break for five years, that all the performances were pitch perfect, which is so rare with any show that has gaps this long. It felt really satisfying to me as well, everything was wrapped up perfectly, and if in ten years time they suddenly decide to do a new episode / movie I wouldn't complain, but I don't think there's any need for any more now.

The Mollusk

I've been away at a stag party for one of my best friends all weekend and I'm going to see my other best friend supporting Skrillex tonight in the biggest move of his musical career and honestly I'm fucking hacked off that these pointless life events keep getting in the way of me watching this.

MojoJojo

I will watch this, but doing a rewatch first. Up to season 4 now. It's good before, but all the world building and attention to detail really starts to pay off towards the end of season 3.

NoSleep

Blumf

Fuck me! This show has been going two decades and that film was just as good as it's ever been.

Still confused by the family tree...

Spoiler alert
Are they all (modified) clones of Venture Sr.?
[close]

madhair60

I think a CaB rewatch of Venture Bros would be great, but I'm not sure it has enough fans here to make it worthwhile.

Egyptian Feast

That was fantastic. It could only have been improved by being the full season and special they wanted to do, but beggars can't be choosers. Having said that, I DEMAND A SPECIAL EPISODE ABOUT THE ORDER OF THE TRIAD IMMEDIATELY!

MojoJojo

Still rewatching, getting near the end of Season 5. One thing that is very apparent is that there is a drop in quality in season 5 - it's not bad, it's just that season 3/4 have so many references and things all building up to Operation P.R.O.M. and then season 5 has to start back with few things to work with, and you get things like Spanakopita, which was never mentioned before despite Doc apparently going there every year. Operation P.R.O.M. seems to have been written as a soft ending for the show.

(and I've just realised the specials aren't on channel 4. Hmmpph)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 18, 2023, 01:36:17 PMStill rewatching, getting near the end of Season 5. One thing that is very apparent is that there is a drop in quality in season 5 - it's not bad, it's just that season 3/4 have so many references and things all building up to Operation P.R.O.M. and then season 5 has to start back with few things to work with, and you get things like Spanakopita, which was never mentioned before despite Doc apparently going there every year. Operation P.R.O.M. seems to have been written as a soft ending for the show.

(and I've just realised the specials aren't on channel 4. Hmmpph)

If you can't track them down send me a pm, as I've got the whole series on an external hard drive.

Egyptian Feast

Most of the specials were on Channel 4 when I first watched the whole series, but weren't filed with the normal episodes so you had to look for them separately. If you just search for Venture Brothers they should hopefully show up.

MojoJojo

Ah yes, I found them - have to search for Venture Bros, not brothers.

MojoJojo

Not got to the film yet, but finished the series. Here is my season ranking, from worst to best.

1 - early weirdness, finding it's feet
5 - fills a bit aimless after everything wrapped up in season 4. The opening special, What Color is your Speedsuit, is a bit naff as well.
2 - much better, Brock is more than Superjail guard, the cross references start to build up.
6 - I liked the Blue Morpho storyline.
3 - It's building up
4 - and just great.

The think the fnial episode wrapped things up nicely, and I think it ended at the right time - the characters have mostly developed enough that they're sort of normal, and
Spoiler alert
Dean sleeping with Hank's girlfriend
[close]
felt a bit soap operaish. Although that may have just been setting up for the film.

madhair60

MojoJojo

Uh, I sort of linked 6 & 7 in my head. Probably between 2 and 6. So
1<5<2<7<6<3<4

MojoJojo

I have seen the movie. It was good, which was a bit of a relief as I think some of the longer episodes/specials don't work as well.

The post credits scene was nice but
Spoiler alert
from a character point of view it doesn't make much sense. Deciding to have one baby by yourself is pretty unusual, never mind two, and never mind Rusty is selfish and not very paternal. Maybe a nit-picking criticism, but it's enough out of character that it jarred
[close]

madhair60

Spoiler alert
Given the timeline I would argue that it could well be in character for him, with the last lingering threads of ethics and decency still yet to be beaten out of Rusty. Maybe.
[close]

a peepee tipi

Spoiler alert
Can't believe I found out this late that this was available for streaming.

This was a clearly rushed effort that could never be less than disappointing in many ways, especially knowing what these two madmen could have wrung out, but it still managed to hit all the beats for me. I would scoff at literally anything else for the fan service, but give me the Council chanting Brick Frog. Please! That fucking final assault on the Help-pods had me struggling for breath through laughter and somehow it was also pretty intense!

We know what it was and the circumstances, this fucking thing stayed more consistent than my parents' marriage, why complain? I caught the premiere of Careers in Science as a latchkey 8-year-old and was just captivated by the world and cried as a child when the Venture Bros. died for the first time onscreen - I had no idea there was a second season until the third premiered and decades later I'm still searching for every nuance, joke, call-back, and reference that I missed or couldn't catch back then.
I'm almost 30 and here we are.

I've seen a lot about the post-credit scene that I can't disagree with, but before I read any of that shit I had a big smile on my face when I saw it. And the chronologically last scene is The Monarch with Dr. Mrs. for the ultimate petty prank. Straight up broke down when Orpheus saved Hank from his trauma. Little things like Helper being a drama queen for the first time in a while, one last time. This was good. Tears writing this, can't believe it. Can't believe this is no longer a part of my life. Happy that it was.
[close]

derek stitt

Ian Hislop is Billy Quizboy and I dare anybody to disagree with me.

Btw, many thanks to the poster alerting us all to this.

The Mollusk

Bumping this because I don't give a goddamn fuck, 24 posts for the finale of one of the greatest shows ever is a travesty.

Finally watched this last night after literal months of being like "I'm not ready to let this thing end". Broadly speaking I thought it was very very good. As others have said it definitely felt like a full season of ideas squished into 90 mins but they did a really good job with it.

My issue, which is expected for a show with so many tangled tangents and explored secondary characters, is that there were loose ends left untied:

Spoiler alert
Scare Bear's purpose and identity is a glaring (yet sort of unimportant) one.

Another would be that Rusty setting Deborah free in exchange for her eggs and then creating and raising children by choice is all super uncharacteristic of him. He is cheerful in that post-credits flashback so it implies this is before he became so cynical and miserable but he was a mardy arse in college as we've seen, right?

It also brings into question old episodes like where Ben told Dean "you have a mommy" or another one I can't specifically recall where Rusty similarly confirms it to them. Were these things told to the boys just to keep them from losing their marbles? It seems sort of implausible to me that Publick and Hammer would drop the ball on something they've surely had planned many years in advance.

The Rusty/Malcolm clones thing was a fuckin mind blinder for me though, what an amazing reveal and a brilliant way to end it as well.
[close]

Looking forward to rewatching this again pretty soon.

MojoJojo

Re: Rusty being out of character post credit scene:
Spoiler alert
I have a sort of daft theory that his cynical and miserable attitude comes from the trauma of the first Hank & Dean's death. He doesn't really believe the clones are the same as his children, but clings to the idea they are as an extreme form of denial. His unprocessed grief is what makes him so miserable.
I'm sure it's contradicted by lots of bits in the series, and I don't want it to be true because it implies Doc sincerely hates the Hank(s) and Dean(s) we see in the show.
[close]

NoSleep

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 29, 2024, 12:43:58 PM
Spoiler alert
It also brings into question old episodes like where Ben told Dean "you have a mommy" or another one I can't specifically recall where Rusty similarly confirms it to them. Were these things told to the boys just to keep them from losing their marbles? It seems sort of implausible to me that Publick and Hammer would drop the ball on something they've surely had planned many years in advance.
[close]

I got the feeling that this isn't entirely over yet. There's a few other incomplete threads as I recall.

The Mollusk

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 29, 2024, 02:26:13 PMRe: Rusty being out of character post credit scene:
Spoiler alert
I have a sort of daft theory that his cynical and miserable attitude comes from the trauma of the first Hank & Dean's death. He doesn't really believe the clones are the same as his children, but clings to the idea they are as an extreme form of denial. His unprocessed grief is what makes him so miserable.
I'm sure it's contradicted by lots of bits in the series, and I don't want it to be true because it implies Doc sincerely hates the Hank(s) and Dean(s) we see in the show.
[close]

That's a good theory!

Dirty Boy

I'm incredibly late with this after reading about the VB for years now, but i bought myself the Venture Box for xmas and i've come to really love the show and am currently going through it for the second time. JG Thirlwell's soundtrack got me interested and it's indeed spectacular and i'm loving the layers of in-jokes and characters that shift into overdrive from the second season on. Can't wait to watch the film, although i hope it isn't the end.