Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When The Simpsons was good

Started by kalowski, November 17, 2023, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Just scrolled into the front room to find my daughter watching Lemon of Troy. Such great lines.

"Spring forth, burly protector!"

"There's doin's a-transpirin'"

jobotic

Funnily enough I've just watched Three Men and a Comic Book.

Don't make me get off my stool for nothing.

dontpaintyourteeth

Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass juice of turnip juice.

madhair60

Nelson whiffing a huge swing at Martin kills me every time.

Sebastian Cobb

So this is what it feels like when doves cry.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2023, 07:32:36 PMSo this is what it feels like when doves cry.
Such a great scene. As is the "Now, if you'll excuse me, all this talk has made me hungry." lemon eating scene.

Video Game Fan 2000

B: I'm going to teach some kids a lesson!
M: I chose to believe he meant that literally.
H: Yes, Bart's a tutor now. Tute on, Son! Tute on!

and

Shake harder, boy!

edit: can't believe I forget "stupider like a fox!"

edit II: and "bart's joined a violence gang"

it was a funny program wasnt it

kalowski

Proactive

Quote from: kalowski on November 17, 2023, 07:40:11 PM

I love that because it's such a fucking accurate depiction of the kind of magical thinking kids of that age engage in. Like when I bought a pair of x ray specs literally thinking they would allow me to see through walls etc.

rack and peanut

Magnum Valentino

Still my favourite written episode. Brent Forrester was a staff writer but only wrote a handful of episodes, and there are no other Simpsons episodes that sound like it. The way almost every character speaks in it is incredible.

idunnosomename

my observation about Lemon of Troy is that Dan and Hank do an unusual amount of kids' voice duties in the episode for Bizarro Shelbyville because they need them sounding different to the general female cast for the Springfield Elementary kids. And they can't just have Tress MacNeille doing all of them

That Hank's Bizarro Homer sounds like Walter Matthau as per early Homer is fun too.

Weird but good episode

dontpaintyourteeth

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Rocky V plus Rocky II equals Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge!

Magnum Valentino

He must have been smarter than his sister Lisa, about whom we know nothing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on November 17, 2023, 07:35:53 PMSuch a great scene. As is the "Now, if you'll excuse me, all this talk has made me hungry." lemon eating scene.

I think on balance my favourite Van Houten scene is

madhair60

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 17, 2023, 08:11:05 PMStill my favourite written episode. Brent Forrester was a staff writer but only wrote a handful of episodes, and there are no other Simpsons episodes that sound like it. The way almost every character speaks in it is incredible.

it's fucking amazing but it does feel weirdly distinct from the rest of the series; like it's almost a bit too smart-ass in its contrivances, but it comes together brilliantly. top 5 ep for me

bobloblaw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2023, 09:06:36 PMI think on balance my favourite Van Houten scene is

Another shameless steal for Glinner

QDRPHNC

markburgle

Quote from: kalowski on November 17, 2023, 07:19:12 PMJust scrolled into the front room to find my daughter watching Lemon of Troy. Such great lines.

"Spring forth, burly protector!"

Even better though is the utterly sincere, dramatised "-and SAVE ME" that ends the line and seals Nelson's cringe. Top-tier line-read

jobotic

Hey everybody, an old man's talking

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

MattD

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 17, 2023, 09:45:33 PMAnother shameless steal for Glinner

"Milhouse, give him back his soul, I've got work tomorrow."

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 17, 2023, 07:37:20 PMB: I'm going to teach some kids a lesson!
M: I chose to believe he meant that literally.
H: Yes, Bart's a tutor now.

This is good

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 17, 2023, 07:37:20 PMTute on, Son! Tute on!

This fucking sucks

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Proactive on November 17, 2023, 07:45:55 PMI love that because it's such a fucking accurate depiction of the kind of magical thinking kids of that age engage in. Like when I bought a pair of x ray specs literally thinking they would allow me to see through walls etc.

thinking exactly this

there's something about milhouse that captures this but made bleak or mean in a way that somehow doesn't manage to be cruel. bart gets disillusioned almost immediately, martin is smart and sheltered enough to delude himself - between them, with milhouse it always last just long enough for you to pity him without it being too mean to be funny

kalowski

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 17, 2023, 10:53:11 PMthinking exactly this

there's something about milhouse that captures this but made bleak or mean in a way that somehow doesn't manage to be cruel. bart gets disillusioned almost immediately, martin is smart and sheltered enough to delude himself - between them, with milhouse it always last just long enough for you to pity him without it being too mean to be funny
Everything about that bit is perfect. The dream of his camouflage suit against reality. The way he morphs into the bush. The glasses and smile.
'Over here!'

Kankurette

As someone with a relatively rare name in my age group, I always felt like Milhouse whenever I met another person around my age with my name. 

dead-ced-dead

There's so many lines that are just ingrained in my DNA.

Like, if I'm trying to project confidence I don't have, I always always always say...

madhair60

Hurry, boy! There's doins' a-transpirin'!