Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Fast Show 30th Anniversary Tour

Started by lauraxsynthesis, January 25, 2024, 11:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Do you think they'll do any new material, or just re-enact the greatest hits? That's what live tours of sketch shows often do.

New page? Bugger.

Jockice

Quote from: Vodkafone on January 30, 2024, 12:54:34 PMThose Sheffield tickets didn't last long, eh?

Certainly didn't. I was just lucky in that I saw it advertised even before I saw it mentioned on here and already tickets were going quickly. I think I got possibly the last wheelchair space and that was after having to set up a new ticketmaster account with a different email address on my phone, hence several minutes of total panic.

One advantage of being me (and take it from me there aren't many) is that I can often get a 'carer' ticket for nowt - but not always I hasten to add. I've just had to shell out for two full price tickets for a show elsewhere - and in this case I've offered my spare to one of a married couple I'm friends with who were unable to get tickets at the weekend. Simply on the grounds that they were the first to ask me how I managed to get tickets before they even knew the show was happening. It's up to them which one goes though. I'm happy with either of them.

Norton Canes

Quote from: curiousoranges on January 30, 2024, 01:11:20 PMDo you think they'll do any new material, or just re-enact the greatest hits?

Old stuff with a few ad-libs

Norton Canes

Good to see (at time of posting) Glasgow being the single bastion of anti-Fast Show sentiment.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 30, 2024, 02:21:31 PMGood to see (at time of posting) Glasgow being the single bastion of anti-Fast Show sentiment.

For real. The death of many an English comic.

Norton Canes

Now saying 'More dates added soon!'. But they want you to subscribe for updates. Aah, you're not catching me like that.

Manchester holds its breath.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 30, 2024, 02:21:31 PMGood to see (at time of posting) Glasgow being the single bastion of anti-Fast Show sentiment.

Jesus Christ there's two of them!

checkoutgirl

This lot must have received a tax bill. I'd definitely pay cash money to be in the same room as Simon Day but it's not on round our way. They did Dublin 20 years ago so not sure why not now.

Surprise to see Mark Williams involved. Didn't he do a Mrs Doyle and distance himself from this for ages?

lauraxsynthesis

You ain't seeing me in The Fast Show, right?

(apologies I've nicked that off an old Red Dwarf thread)

madhair60

that makes sense, it's way too funny for someone to just come up with organically

Rev+

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 11, 2024, 05:37:46 PMSurprise to see Mark Williams involved. Didn't he do a Mrs Doyle and distance himself from this for ages?

He's not tried to distance himself as far as I know, there's just been some bad timing - he was hosting a daytime game show at one point, which involves signing up for a million episodes.  The Fast Show stuff just doesn't seem to coincide with his schedule when he's aht there earnin' all the time.

lauraxsynthesis

Tell you what, after a week of a beloved comedy troupe tearing pieces out of each other and crapping on their legacy, it was pretty cathartic to see a group who've been working together 30 years or more (almost 50 in the case of Higson & Whitehouse) who obviously are very fond of each other and enjoy working together and honouring their legacy. I'm sure the show will be recorded so not sure how much detail to go into. Last night was actually recorded as well. I know some of you were expecting Q&A -
Spoiler alert
there wasn't one.
[close]
It wasn't at all like a show at eg the Slapstick festival. Our own Squidy was with me and he was expecting "all anecdotes in chairs with the occasional catchphrase" but we got

Spoiler alert
full costume changes and multiple musical numbers. Almost no use of video! Could be different in the bigger venues in the tour of course. Many, many characters. Almost all of them, it seemed. I was tempted to list the bits I found funniest but thinking back I was basically in hysterics the whole night. Some catchphrases were just slotted in amidst the anecdotes in fun and surprising ways.
[close]

Paul Whitehouse really loves meta humour.

The cast were introduced in the order in which they were brought into the group.
Spoiler alert
Charlie & Paul said that they had been Python fans so for their sketch show wanted to bring together a gang. The order was: Mark, Arabella, John & Simon together and I think John suggested Caroline. They said that even if Caroline was still with us she wouldn't have been in the live show because she couldn't bear performing live.
[close]

They had some fun with Mark getting a role in the Harry Potter films
Spoiler alert
and Paul's bit getting cut.
[close]

Simon and John mentioned a couple of times not drinking anymore and I thought that was really cool and good luck to them. 

Re Caroline Aherne,
Spoiler alert
it was fascinating to hear John Thompson tell the history of their work together. I knew they'd make me cry and Thompson redid the Roy without Renee bit that folks may have seen before- if I can find the video of that I'll post it. Got me right in the feels. Was surprised by the lack of mention of Felix Dexter, particularly since this tour came about because Charlie, Paul and Simon did that Dexter tribute gig last year.
[close]

Plenty about other folks they've worked with. As a Southeast London person, I loved hearing some stuff about the scene around Greenwich back in the day with Vic & Bob.
Spoiler alert
Before the Ted & Ralph sketch, which was very early on, Charlie and Paul described how the characters were brought to them by Linehan & Mathews. Paul said, "Graham and Arthur, or as we now call them, 'Arthur'". First big laugh of the night. I imagine that might not make it into the video hah. Also the only time bad vibes were mentioned thank goodness. Also I don't think I heard the word "woke" even in an ironic context.

Ralph is still having no luck with Ted, alas. Ted did sing a bit of a love song on his way offstage so keeping a bit of romantic ambiguity there hah.
[close]

Not much stuff was topical or updated. Exceptions included
Spoiler alert
the "No offence" woman who referred to "comedy fans going out for some nostalgia" or something like that but very funny. The Dave Angel set was brilliant and included mentions of Greta Thunberg and kids blocking roads. The 13th Duke of Wybourne said he was up for women, men and they/thems.
[close]

A Python reference made it into the show that was absolutely delightful.
Spoiler alert
After the interval, Paul walked through the crowd like Cleese did in the Python live shows. He was a cheesy peas seller and said he had albatross flavour. Albatross was one of my top 3 Python sketches - I can't tell you what this meant to me. And I just love when comics pay tribute to their influences.
[close]

At the end of the curtain call, Mark I think it was, presented "Higson and Whitehouse" and they took a bow together. I mean, I couldn't have been happier.

I've been passionate about TFS for 30 years but I expect a more casual fan would still enjoy the fuck out of this show. Even in the warmup it was a terrifically put together show, stunningly funny, just wonderful. Afterwards we hung out in the bar and got to chat to Charlie and John and I got a photo with Arabella. All were lovely. Sat next to us were Peter Capaldi and Elaine Collins. I spoke with Collins and she said they had to pull strings to get tickets. They're friends with Arabella. I wanted to tell Capaldi how much I'd enjoyed his interview with Alexei Sayle but I chickened out. Squidy did though so. Philip Pope (of Thotch!) and Richard Vranch were also there.

Here are sweet rehearsal and backstage pics from Higson.

neveragain

Ohhhh this sounds amazing. I'm definitely trying to get my hands on a returned ticket.

non capisco

That really does sound special, glad you had a blast!
Spoiler alert
(And that Whitehouse got a Glinner dig in.)
[close]

Norton Canes

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 19, 2024, 04:30:18 PMTell you what, after a week of a beloved comedy troupe tearing pieces out of each other and crapping on their legacy, it was pretty cathartic to see a group who've been working together 30 years or more (almost 50 in the case of Higson & Whitehouse) who obviously are very fond of each other and enjoy working together and honouring their legacy. I'm sure the show will be recorded so not sure how much detail to go into. Last night was actually recorded as well. I know some of you were expecting Q&A -
Spoiler alert
there wasn't one.
[close]
It wasn't at all like a show at eg the Slapstick festival. Our own Squidy was with me and he was expecting "all anecdotes in chairs with the occasional catchphrase" but we got

Spoiler alert
full costume changes and multiple musical numbers. Almost no use of video! Could be different in the bigger venues in the tour of course. Many, many characters. Almost all of them, it seemed. I was tempted to list the bits I found funniest but thinking back I was basically in hysterics the whole night. Some catchphrases were just slotted in amidst the anecdotes in fun and surprising ways.
[close]

Paul Whitehouse really loves meta humour.

The cast were introduced in the order in which they were brought into the group.
Spoiler alert
Charlie & Paul said that they had been Python fans so for their sketch show wanted to bring together a gang. The order was: Mark, Arabella, John & Simon together and I think John suggested Caroline. They said that even if Caroline was still with us she wouldn't have been in the live show because she couldn't bear performing live.
[close]

They had some fun with Mark getting a role in the Harry Potter films
Spoiler alert
and Paul's bit getting cut.
[close]

Simon and John mentioned a couple of times not drinking anymore and I thought that was really cool and good luck to them. 

Re Caroline Aherne,
Spoiler alert
it was fascinating to hear John Thompson tell the history of their work together. I knew they'd make me cry and Thompson redid the Roy without Renee bit that folks may have seen before- if I can find the video of that I'll post it. Got me right in the feels. Was surprised by the lack of mention of Felix Dexter, particularly since this tour came about because Charlie, Paul and Simon did that Dexter tribute gig last year.
[close]

Plenty about other folks they've worked with. As a Southeast London person, I loved hearing some stuff about the scene around Greenwich back in the day with Vic & Bob.
Spoiler alert
Before the Ted & Ralph sketch, which was very early on, Charlie and Paul described how the characters were brought to them by Linehan & Mathews. Paul said, "Graham and Arthur, or as we now call them, 'Arthur'". First big laugh of the night. I imagine that might not make it into the video hah. Also the only time bad vibes were mentioned thank goodness. Also I don't think I heard the word "woke" even in an ironic context.

Ralph is still having no luck with Ted, alas. Ted did sing a bit of a love song on his way offstage so keeping a bit of romantic ambiguity there hah.
[close]

Not much stuff was topical or updated. Exceptions included
Spoiler alert
the "No offence" woman who referred to "comedy fans going out for some nostalgia" or something like that but very funny. The Dave Angel set was brilliant and included mentions of Greta Thunberg and kids blocking roads. The 13th Duke of Wybourne said he was up for women, men and they/thems.
[close]

A Python reference made it into the show that was absolutely delightful.
Spoiler alert
After the interval, Paul walked through the crowd like Cleese did in the Python live shows. He was a cheesy peas seller and said he had albatross flavour. Albatross was one of my top 3 Python sketches - I can't tell you what this meant to me. And I just love when comics pay tribute to their influences.
[close]

At the end of the curtain call, Mark I think it was, presented "Higson and Whitehouse" and they took a bow together. I mean, I couldn't have been happier.

I've been passionate about TFS for 30 years but I expect a more casual fan would still enjoy the fuck out of this show. Even in the warmup it was a terrifically put together show, stunningly funny, just wonderful. Afterwards we hung out in the bar and got to chat to Charlie and John and I got a photo with Arabella. All were lovely. Sat next to us were Peter Capaldi and Elaine Collins. I spoke with Collins and she said they had to pull strings to get tickets. They're friends with Arabella. I wanted to tell Capaldi how much I'd enjoyed his interview with Alexei Sayle but I chickened out. Squidy did though so. Philip Pope (of Thotch!) and Richard Vranch were also there.

Here are sweet rehearsal and backstage pics from Higson.

Did they say why they hate Manchester?

neveragain

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 19, 2024, 04:30:18 PMTell you what...

Sounds like there must have been some bits of chat. I'm still intrigued how they were integrated with the costumed sketches.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: neveragain on February 20, 2024, 10:15:25 PMSounds like there must have been some bits of chat. I'm still intrigued how they were integrated with the costumed sketches.

Most of the sat down talking was in the first half and most of the time they weren't all there together. Since most sketches have 2 characters and there are 6 cast members there could be lots of chopping and changing.

Glebe

Norton Canes

lauraxsynthesis

Higson says it's difficult finding dates they can all do. Venue availability would be a factor and all.

lauraxsynthesis

Some tickets released for afternoon and evening of 14 April in London if you're quick!
https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/the-fast-show/

madhair60

idunnosomename

More like The 67 Pounds (plus booking fee) Show!!!!!!!!!

Gurke and Hare

Goldentony

NO CUNT GIVES A FUCK ABOUT MANCHESTER

Twilkes

When there's a Womanchester, then we can talk.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Goldentony on April 01, 2024, 04:35:32 PMNO CUNT GIVES A FUCK ABOUT MANCHESTER

Rejected slogans for Visit Manchester merch.

Tony Yeboah

Saw it in Liverpool tonight. Was suspicious when there were only five chairs on the stage. Then Unlucky Alf came out and said he was looking forward to watching Mark Williams. So we ain't seen him, right.

John Thomson filled in as one of the Kenneths.