Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids in the Hall

Started by QDRPHNC, April 26, 2015, 01:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Currently sitting in Toronto's finest Irish bar nursing a whiskey, waiting for the hopefully-triumphant hometown return of Kids in the Hall in a couple of hours. Excited!

SteveDave

Yes, I am jealous.

I hope Kevin MacDonald does Sir Simon Milligan.

Skip Bittman

Ah! That's right!

Have fun, I am still kicking myself for missing the last tour...

I am in 90s sketch nostalgia overload lately, catching a "With Bob and David" show and now these guys are touring again?

(runs off to see if they added an LA stop yet on the tour)

dr_christian_troy

Kevin MacDonald performed improv near London Bridge earlier this year. We met him afterwards and he was a very pleasant man indeed. Fingers crossed he and the others will head to the UK in the near future. I'm sure thirty Helens would agree.

Let us know how it goes, QDRPHNC!

QDRPHNC

I'm a bit hung over. Is there a Spoiler etiquette for live shows? I've spoilered some stuff.

Great show! Maybe only 7 or 8 sketches throughout the almost-90 minutes. Hometown audience crazy enthusiastic, really fantastic energy in the room. Lots of self-deprecation, lots of really very blunt references to their career failings (line of the night was Mark McKinney as the crush your head guy on Dave Foley: "
Spoiler alert
Nothing is sadder than seeing the boyish get old.
[close]
")

They started out doing a monologue in wedding dresses (
Spoiler alert
DF: "I wear a wedding dress in public. It helps me hail a cab." ST: "I wore a wedding dress to my sisters wedding. I explained it was a tribute, but she didn't listen. Can anyone really listen when they're screaming?"
[close]
), and when that was done the classic KiTH theme tune kicked in and everyone went mad.

Scott Thompson did a great monologue (as Buddy Cole, of course) about transgender kids, which was pretty close to the knuckle and you felt could have gone off the rails very easily. There was a sketch about potential godparents hating the baby (
Spoiler alert
"It's like Auschwitz in swaddling!"
[close]
).

Bruce McCulloch did that weird kid character he does, which had Foley and McDonald corpsing at one point because he kept asking for an AIDs doughnut.

McCulloch and Thompson also did a great one together, middle-aged husband and wife respectively. She's in bed, he's gulping from a huge jug of water because of her salty ("
Spoiler alert
VOODOO
[close]
![/b]") pork. Just hearing McCulloch gulp, gulp, belch, gulp, belch, mutter ("
Spoiler alert
like an animal
[close]
"), gulp, gulp, had me in fucking tears.

The encore was, of course, McKinney doing his head crusher guy. He pointed a camera into the audience so we could see them on the big screen behind him, and proceeding to crush their heads, mixed in with some insults ("You, you fucking bearded hipster in your vintage CBC t-shirt" ... not directed at me, but it was a near miss.) Funny moment during this part, he's pointing the camera at a young lady in the crowd, and my friend Helen leans over to me and says, "Erm, is that Laurence Fishburne sitting behind her?" and it turned out it was.

Also, a very unexpected last-moment cameo that caused a spontaneous standing ovation.

ANYWAY. If you get a chance, go and see this show. AAAA+++++++++++ would go again

Edit: No Sir Simon Milligan :(

SteveDave

Who was the cameo? I muss kno!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: SteveDave on April 26, 2015, 02:47:20 PM
Who was the cameo? I muss kno!

Spoiler alert
Paul Bellini
[close]

SteveDave