News:

Registrations are currently delayed due to a spam wave, please bear with me.


That dog eating scene in Peep Show

Started by Barry Admin, June 10, 2021, 06:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did you like it?

Dreadful
43 (52.4%)
Actually, I thought it was great
39 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 82

JamesTC

Quote from: paruses on June 14, 2021, 11:42:05 PM
I meant to ask a page ago - what's that about Mark getting raped? I don't recall anything like that (or is this a simple lampoon?)

Nope. He gets raped.

Replies From View

I always hated the scene.  Definitely broke the show's reality.  There wasn't a natural progression to that scene where you felt the characters had no other option but to eat the dog, and that's what is needed if you're going to do a scene like that.  You need to be with these characters on their journey and agree with them whenever they're backed into such a corner that their options are diminishing small and they do something stupid.

Replies From View

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on June 10, 2021, 05:25:09 PM
I can imagine Mark kicking a dog to death if it was making a lunge at him and he (rightly or wrongly) believed his own life was at risk, plus was not in a healthy mental state to begin with

He might kick a dog in a state of panic - but kick it to death?  It would require more effort than would be necessary in self-defence.

Barry Admin

I think a single kick to the liver or kidneys is meant to be enough to kill a dog. Fuck knows where I read that. I like the line because, as I said before, it does leave a lot to the imagination, and Jez could well be framing it in a very uncharitable way for a laugh, or to irk Mark.




Fascinating poll result! 36 for, 29 against, currently. Balanced out quickly and quite surprisingly after "dreadful" took an early lead.

Jez eating a dog is more popular on here than I realised.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Replies From View on June 15, 2021, 05:32:36 PM
He might kick a dog in a state of panic - but kick it to death?  It would require more effort than would be necessary in self-defence.

Yeah... That's what does it for me. I can imagine him kicking a dog in self-defence,  maybe kicking it again if it came back but kicking it to death suggests kicking it to the point where it stops trying to bite him and then continuing to kick it until after it stopped moving. That requires a degree of sadism and brutality.

petril

Quote from: MoreauVasz on June 15, 2021, 05:50:54 PM
Yeah... That's what does it for me. I can imagine him kicking a dog in self-defence,  maybe kicking it again if it came back but kicking it to death suggests kicking it to the point where it stops trying to bite him and then continuing to kick it until after it stopped moving. That requires a degree of sadism and brutality.

first couple of kicks stop the attack but it's lying there injured, making noise. I could see Jez winding him up to finish the job

but that's worse, letting a knobhead talk him into sadism and brutality

pigamus

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 05:41:28 PM
I think a single kick to the liver or kidneys is meant to be enough to kill a dog.

Can't beat these Northern Ireland chat-up lines

thenoise

I assume that Mark gave doggy a good hard kick and doggy ran away. The dog's later death from its injuries is just Mark's paranoia/self -loathing speaking.

Ferris

Quote from: thenoise on June 15, 2021, 11:18:34 PM
I assume that Mark gave doggy a good hard kick and doggy ran away. The dog's later death from its injuries is just Mark's paranoia/self -loathing speaking.

Yeah and me.