Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Staths Lets Flats - Series 3

Started by Mobius, October 25, 2021, 03:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Big ups to Captain Z for mentioning in the Ghosts thread that new Staths starts this week!

I just finished rewatching Series 1 & 2 yet again, and personally I think it's the funniest thing in years. Pure nonsense, nothing deep or emotion or dramatic, just stupid and silly.

Trailer here (trailer features the new guest stars so don't watch if you don't want have those spoiled.

and 2 guest stars this season
Spoiler alert
Julia Davies, who has worked with Jamie Demetriou a few times and Charlie Cooper from This Country!
[close]

10.15pm Tuesday on Channel 4 - with the full series on All 4 immediately afterwards. I'll be binging the whole thing once it's up.

Utter Shit

Can't wait. I almost like it more than I think I should - as you say it's an incredibly silly show, and yet it's one I've rewatched regularly where usually I would consider that sort of show quite throwaway.

paruses

Likewise. Very excited when I saw the ad yesterday. Love it for the reasons above and have watched it several times. It's a bit of a Phoneshop in that way. Will have watched all this by Friday I reckon.

AllisonSays

I find it annoying and funny in equal measure, but it's good fun for sure; I guess I found the cringey stuff (I'm thinking particularly of an episode where Stath has a thing for this woman and it all goes wrong) hard to enjoy, but other bits of it really joyous. I think Natasia Demetriou is one of my all-time favouite guests on the Adam Buxton podcast, very funny, and sufficiently different from Adam to jolt him out of his occasional mild-whimsy-mild-introversion-centrist-dad safety zone.

lazyhour

imitationleather

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Series 2 a bit pony?

The characters are so fucking funny that it really doesn't matter that the plots range from a bit ropey to plain old bad.

Now that everything's a comedy drama with the pathos dialled up (Alma's Not Normal gets a free pass because it contains actual jokes and funny situations) I'm excited to have this stupid show back.

Quote from: imitationleather on October 25, 2021, 08:58:49 PM
I might be misremembering, but wasn't Series 2 a bit pony?

Yes, dogshit. Hopefully they've had more time to work on this one.

Mobius

I didn't realise series 2 was looked down on. I thought they were both great.

amateur

Regularly rewatch the episode where all the estate agents get their keys nicked and band together, an absolute guffawther of an episode.

Pumped for this!

SteveDave

I liked series 2. I screamed out loud in the last episode because the place they had the awards ceremony was next to where I was working at the time in Colindale.

Someone on Twitter dot com this morning praised it's "Zone 4+ energy" and I whole-heartedly agree with that.

amateur

Captain Z

I just re-watched both series in quick succession and I didn't notice any drop-off in quality or change in tone in S2. Maybe it had been built up a bit too much after the pleasant surprise of S1. One for a 'great comedy moments that happen offscreen' thread is Al mentioning that his coat got stuck in the door of the pod on the London Eye. "American Let's" also makes me laugh every time I see the name, plus the fact their to let signs are printed slightly off-centre.

Captain Z

Love this 'blooper' too; I don't think this specific moment made it into the final episode.

https://youtu.be/Tldi6LcMsJ8?t=178

Quote from: Captain Z on October 26, 2021, 01:47:23 PMI just re-watched both series in quick succession and I didn't notice any drop-off in quality or change in tone in S2.

Oh right, I might be misremembering, it was a while back but I remember being pretty disappointed, by the final episode especially.

Captain Z

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 26, 2021, 02:05:09 PM
Oh right, I might be misremembering, it was a while back but I remember being pretty disappointed, by the final episode especially.

The thread was pretty scathing from some quarters and got very few replies towards the end of the series. My own criticism was that the first episode felt like treading old ground of S1 but I actually thought it improved from there.

paruses

I dip in and out of both series quite often but the one I watch most often is the showcase/blaps type short with Mae Martin and Liam Williams in. "what a lovely day to be having a chuckle with a dog" and "eeuuhh. It's just a neck" are things I say surprisingly often.

mothman

This is a comedy, right? Just checking.

paruses

Quote from: mothman on October 26, 2021, 10:24:08 PM

Oh dear. Not good? I am waiting until tomorrow to start in on it. If you hated it - can I ask if this is your first time watching?

Beagle 2

Not many laughs but good to have it back. I felt like it looked weirdly glossy, like some of the inherent cheapness was missing, might be my imagination though.

Captain Z

It was OK, hopefully it will pick up now the scene has been set. I enjoyed
Spoiler alert
the dreamlike sequence in the barber's that ended with Stath propping a single £5 note on his child, reminded me of some of the surreal elements in recent Partridge stuff
[close]
. But I'm probably going to watch on a per-week basis, so might stay out of this thread from now until the end.

bgmnts

Quote from: mothman on October 26, 2021, 10:24:08 PM

I've seen the trailers a few times and was a bit gobsmacked at how utter shite it looked. And it said BAFTA winning as well.

ajsmith2

Oh yeah? Well I think it's great!

Ja'moke

"Is your house scary or something?"

Mobius

Can't use All 4 outside of England and can't find this anywhere yet :(

Utter Shit

Not had a chance to watch the first episode yet, but the first two series were great. That said, it really lives or dies on whether you find Stath funny or annoying, and I can see how people would find him annoying.

I read a piece about it just now that described him as a cross between Mr. Bean and Basil Fawlty, which is a great shout.

AngryGazelle

I've watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. Some funny lines, and really good performances - The series as a whole probably won't make it onto my all time favourites list but I really like it's vibe.

Beagle 2

I'm quite ill at the moment and struggled to follow a couple of bits, why did Dean look all pissed off at the baby name?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 27, 2021, 10:07:41 AM
I'm quite ill at the moment and struggled to follow a couple of bits, why did Dean look all pissed off at the baby name?

Spoiler alert
Because they were calling the baby Deana, after him, and he hates the idea of being involved with any of them in any way.
[close]

Custard

Day off, so I'll be battering through the entire series. Seems like this has been gone for aaaages