Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:04:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Staths Lets Flats - Series 3

Started by Mobius, October 25, 2021, 03:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 27, 2021, 10:13:17 AM
Spoiler alert
Because they were calling the baby Deana, after him, and he hates the idea of being involved with any of them in any way.
[close]

Fucking hell, of course! Dear me, brain.

Mobius

Just watched the first 2 episodes, loved it. Episode 2 had me howling.

Going to try and ration it over a few nights.

Custard

Yeah, the first 3 are very silly and funny. Nice to see
Spoiler alert
Julia Davies
[close]
too

Will watch the rest shortly. Don't wanna devour these too quickly

her?

This show normally has me laughing like a drain but the episode last night left me cold. Maybe I was in the wrong mood but it didn't feel quite right. Will try the next one.

amateur

First half of the episode didn't have a huge amount of laughs but I loved the second. Brilliant ending, pumped for more.

ajsmith2

The best bit about the first episode of this series IMO was the absolute barrage of nonsense Stath greeted Al with when he met him halfway up the stairs.

Also rewatched SE1 E1 the just before it and I have to say I miss Marcus, who was only in the first series then disappeared. He was far from integral to the show of course but he was endearingly rubbish as most of the rest of them in his own special way. Had the mid life crisis quiet desperation thing going on without them laying it on too thick and it worked really well.

Mobius

He bloody loved Muse!

I just love the way they talk like idiots. The montage bits and songs are so daft. I just love it, such a silly show, but also sort of sweet and nice

DoesNotFollow

Watched the first ep. tonight, had us cackling. Agreed it's just so silly puts a big smile on me face thinking about it.

Andy147

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 27, 2021, 08:41:10 PM
Also rewatched SE1 E1 the just before it and I have to say I miss Marcus, who was only in the first series then disappeared.

The actor (Alex Beckett) committed suicide (even before S1 was broadcast).

Haven't watched this before, so am giving S1 a go... nearly bailed out during E1 as he seemed to be obnoxious rather than funny, but the pigeon bit at the end was pretty funny, so stuck with it for E2, which was funnier (I think because he seemed more idiotic than obnoxious?).
Does feel like a show where I'll need to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it, though.

Mobius

Oh I didn't realise he'd died :( sad

I found this clip on youtube of Jamie Demetriou watching football quite funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYTzrJyFNI

paruses

Just seen eps 1+2. Found myself wanting to laugh more than I did but the good bits really tickled me. I find some of it seems to rely  a bit too much on Stath talking nonsense for the laugh whereas before it seemed like there was a joke and the nonsense / malapropisms carried it along and made more of it.

Dean might have made me laugh most in these two episodes. Shem (?) was good in that story line but am finding the will-they-wont-they with Sofie and Al too much to the fore. Didn't massively enjoy the Charlie Cooper bit. He and his wife were good - she was particularly funny with what she had - and bits of the fight made me laugh but it just didn't do much for me overall.

Good to see Steven used exactly the right amount. Loved that.

SteveDave

I thought I was going to cough myself to death at one part of episode 4.

C_Larence

Quote from: paruses on October 27, 2021, 10:10:12 PM

Dean might have made me laugh most in these two episodes. Shem (?) was good in that story line but am finding the will-they-wont-they with Sofie and Al too much to the fore. Didn't massively enjoy the Charlie Cooper bit. He and his wife were good - she was particularly funny with what she had - and bits of the fight made me laugh but it just didn't do much for me overall..

Dean completely baffles me. I feel like he reads every line completely wrong, and the same goes for the few bits of Ghosts I've seen. He's basically one step up from Noel Fielding's brother in Mighty Boosh. The fight scene was a highlight for me, and Charlie Cooper's whisper shouting was hilarious.

ASFTSN

Two episodes in and just as good as series one and two, I really needed this.

So many great details:

Spoiler alert

- The water/scottish egg/sketchbook sequence.
- Julian's death described as "Yeah he fell off an award ceremony" by Carole
- List of items on the windowsill
- DON'T SHOUT AT ME STEVEN
- Stath's reluctant but almost religious devotion to beating people up for his daughter "because I have to"
- The 'fight' scene with those accidentally timed kicks
- "Erasing"
[close]

Only complaint so far is there's not enough Al, hopefully that'll change. What happened to Stath and Cem's plans to go into business together?

paruses

Good list. First one on there really got me.

Agree more Al but less Al and Sofie for me. But more Sofie - lived the tiny detail of how she was eating the chocolate.

In short - however good this is I will never be satisfied.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Mobius on October 27, 2021, 10:04:43 PM
I found this clip on youtube of Jamie Demetriou watching football quite funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYTzrJyFNI

On a related note, he did this song in support of England a while ago. Very funny and he has an unexpectedly good voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeN4K1keXS8

There also used to be a video on Twitter of him singing a ridiculously weird slow jam at a stand-up gig, I was obsessed with it but it got deleted, I have been trying to track it down ever since with no joy...if anyone knows what I'm talking about and where to find it, I'd love to know!

SteveDave

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 28, 2021, 09:11:38 AM
On a related note, he did this song in support of England a while ago. Very funny and he has an unexpectedly good voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeN4K1keXS8

There also used to be a video on Twitter of him singing a ridiculously weird slow jam at a stand-up gig, I was obsessed with it but it got deleted, I have been trying to track it down ever since with no joy...if anyone knows what I'm talking about and where to find it, I'd love to know!

I spent a long time yesterday trying to find the "I Just Wanna Know Why...You Haven't Done A Poo In Your Trailer" song when everyone's crammed into a car from the last series.

Quote from: ASFTSN on October 28, 2021, 07:25:14 AM
Two episodes in and just as good as series one and two, I really needed this.

So many great details:

Spoiler alert

- The water/scottish egg/sketchbook sequence.
- Julian's death described as "Yeah he fell off an award ceremony" by Carole
- List of items on the windowsill
- DON'T SHOUT AT ME STEVEN
- Stath's reluctant but almost religious devotion to beating people up for his daughter "because I have to"
- The 'fight' scene with those accidentally timed kicks
- "Erasing"
[close]

Only complaint so far is there's not enough Al, hopefully that'll change. What happened to Stath and Cem's plans to go into business together?

Loved all that. Also enjoyed
Spoiler alert
Stath and Al running, holding their ties to their chests
[close]
Spoiler alert
Stath spending two hours applying two entire tubs of gel to Al's hair
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Katja getting run over at walking speed
[close]

There's just so many lovely little stupid details.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 28, 2021, 05:28:05 PM
Also enjoyed
Spoiler alert
Stath and Al running, holding their ties to their chests
[close]
Spoiler alert
Stath spending two hours applying two entire tubs of gel to Al's hair
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Katja getting run over at walking speed
[close]

All of those were unreasonably funny. The
Spoiler alert
ties run
[close]
reminded of Phoneshop when they were running down the High St at speed then slowed to a casual walk so as to look cool as they went past the Vodafone shop.

Custard

Heh, I was thinking as I watched this new series that it has elements of Phoneshop. From now on, to me, they both exist in the same universe

ajsmith2

Have to admit I wasn't that keen on the Greek TV show bits in episode 4, cos with the broken English captions and crappy production values and the like it seemed to suggest all of Greece is daft Borat/Kazakhstan style rather than just the main characters being daft and happening to be Greek. Happy to hear another interpretation if anyone reckons I totally got the wrong end of the stick here though.

SteveDave

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 29, 2021, 05:00:42 AM
Have to admit I wasn't that keen on the Greek TV show bits in episode 4, cos with the broken English captions and crappy production values and the like it seemed to suggest all of Greece is daft Borat/Kazakhstan style rather than just the main characters being daft and happening to be Greek. Happy to hear another interpretation if anyone reckons I totally got the wrong end of the stick here though.

I saw that as a homage (French for rip-off) of the episode of "Atlanta" that's shot as if it's a black cable access channel complete with awful adverts and bad camerawork.

Loved the first episode. Not all of it landed, but with a show like this it really doesn't matter as you know there'll be another big laugh along in a minute.

wooders1978

I just find them all very sweet, very silly people - I think the "lads night out" is one of my fave comedies bits of recent years

ASFTSN

Hate to say it as I'll defend this show to the hilt, but it took a pretty big dip after Lads Night Out and I felt like they were struggling to fill the full six with funny stuff. That said, the wrap-up was sweet, if not actually that funny, and it was nice to see them bring it to a close. I felt happiest for Dean. You can tell they all loved playing these characters.

ASFTSN

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 30, 2021, 10:36:16 PM
I just find them all very sweet, very silly people - I think the "lads night out" is one of my fave comedies bits of recent years

Dean
Spoiler alert
actually laughing at something Stath said
[close]
made me weirdly happy.

paruses

Same. Am only up to Lad's Night but thought all of the characters shone in that one and yes I really liked then
Spoiler alert
loosening Dean up a bit
[close]

Does Julia Davis look like that now? Or was it some excellent work by makeup? I didn't recognise her.

neveragain

She has received a visit from the Botox fairy.

Are they making any more Stath? Because it did seem to end.

paruses

I wasn't sure if she had or her character had. Thought she was great in her role.

I read an article in nme the other day. It wasn't very good and I forgot to post the link here. It did suggest though that that's it certainly for a while as JD is now exploring projects in the States.

neveragain

Thanks for that. For clarification on my part, I still think Julia Davies is great.