Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Staths Lets Flats - Series 3

Started by Mobius, October 25, 2021, 03:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Quote from: neveragain on October 31, 2021, 08:07:34 PM
She has received a visit from the Botox fairy.

Are they making any more Stath? Because it did seem to end.

I thought they rather set it up for a 4th
Spoiler alert
season where he might end up marrying Carole?
They did a lot of redemptive work on her this season and I think the but where stath proposes and she shouted "yes" has set that story arc up imo
[close]

Massive spoilers there wooders.

I don't know what the etiquette is for stuff that's available to binge, but it seems sensible to use spoiler tags for stuff until it's been on the proper TV.

wooders1978

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 01, 2021, 12:01:15 PM
Massive spoilers there wooders.

I don't know what the etiquette is for stuff that's available to binge, but it seems sensible to use spoiler tags for stuff until it's been on the proper TV.

Sorry - I've updated my post

Utter Shit

The song at the start of episode 2 is so ridiculous and brilliant.

paruses

Watched episode 4 last night and feel it's got into its stride now. I stand by my appreciation of Dean and also glad that  Al is more Al.

Biggest laughs are still in the details for me. Things that stick are:

Spoiler alert
Do you know Steven? / I know A Steven / That's him!
Saying monkey for money and then correcting himself
The pogo style of jumping into the canal
Stath's dad on Greek Speak Greek - the green screen gag.
Stath's exasperation at how his attempts to fix everything with a hammer makes things worse
The herb garden in the rival estate agent's car for no reason but also him sounding the horn
Carol in the Smethwick's video
[close]

the science eel

Al is just magnificent. That's such a beautiful performance, every show. I love the dude.

frajer

Quote from: the science eel on November 02, 2021, 11:28:08 AM
Al is just magnificent. That's such a beautiful performance, every show. I love the dude.

Agreed. Who wouldn't want to live with a young grey priest?

Captain Z

Reading through my fingers to avoid spoilers, but just watched episode 2 as it went out and thought it was a massive step up from last week's. The name of the new rival letting agent keeps tickling me especially.

Only slightly marred by the continuity announcer talking over the first 15 seconds of part 2. The problems at channel 4 continue.

Mobius

Quote from: frajer on November 02, 2021, 11:37:40 AM
Agreed. Who wouldn't want to live with a young grey priest?

He's brilliant. Never seen him in anything else.

I just love that he commutes from Birmingham. For that job.

paruses

Quote from: Mobius on November 03, 2021, 08:55:31 AM
He's brilliant. Never seen him in anything else.

I just love that he commutes from Birmingham. For that job.

He is in King Gary as a similarly helpful neighbour.

Edit - that sounds dismissive. I also think he's brilliant.

Utter Shit

Loved the second episode. Right from that bonkers song at the start it's just gold. Considering how silly it is, it somehow feels quite authentic. Little bits like Stath encouraging everyone to say "quee" (?!) to the baby, it's so odd that I kind of feel like it must be based on something from Jamie Demetriou's life.

Quote from: paruses on November 03, 2021, 08:59:45 AM
He is in King Gary as a similarly helpful neighbour.

Dead Pixels, Starstruck, Feel Good & Ghosts too, he's been getting around lately.

SteveDave

Quote from: paruses on November 02, 2021, 10:57:24 AM
Watched episode 4 last night and feel it's got into its stride now. I stand by my appreciation of Dean and also glad that  Al is more Al.

Biggest laughs are still in the details for me. Things that stick are:

Spoiler alert
Do you know Steven? / I know A Steven / That's him!
Saying monkey for money and then correcting himself
The pogo style of jumping into the canal
Stath's dad on Greek Speak Greek - the green screen gag.
Stath's exasperation at how his attempts to fix everything with a hammer makes things worse
The herb garden in the rival estate agent's car for no reason but also him sounding the horn
Carol in the Smethwick's video
[close]

It was spoilered point three that got me when I saw that episode.
Spoiler alert
Just such a clean entry into the water.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Tom Fun

First time poster. I had to create an account just to ask this question:

Spoilers as it regards the final episode

Spoiler alert
Was that Dave Grohl in the wedding band?!
[close]

Edit: of course there was a typo on my first post. Of course there was.

SteveDave

Quote from: Tom Fun on November 03, 2021, 03:00:04 PM
Spoilers as it regards the final episode

Spoiler alert
Was that Dave Grohl in the wedding band?!
[close]

Edit: of course there was a typo on my first post. Of course there was.

I'm going to say no.

Mobius

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 03, 2021, 09:23:42 AM
Loved the second episode. Right from that bonkers song at the start it's just gold. Considering how silly it is, it somehow feels quite authentic. Little bits like Stath encouraging everyone to say "quee" (?!) to the baby, it's so odd that I kind of feel like it must be based on something from Jamie Demetriou's life.

My partner and I were absolutely howling at Carol interrupting the song to tell him to stop giving the kid eggs.

Quote from: ASFTSN on October 31, 2021, 02:15:34 PM
Hate to say it as I'll defend this show to the hilt, but it took a pretty big dip after Lads Night Out and I felt like they were struggling to fill the full six with funny stuff. That said, the wrap-up was sweet, if not actually that funny, and it was nice to see them bring it to a close. I felt happiest for Dean. You can tell they all loved playing these characters.

I'd agree with this. The last couple of episodes didn't really deliver on laughs (though Tim Key's cameo was one of my highlights of the series). It's never been a problem before as it's always been reliably funny, but when they dial back on the jokes the show becomes very thin.

Good series on the whole, but it feels like the right time to wrap it up.

Dusty Substance

Just started watching the first series this afternoon and it's so much better than expected. I'd assumed it was going to be another Phone Shop but, no, it's actually funny with likeable characters (something Phone Shop didn't have). 

chveik

fucking love this show, so many funny lines/little details

Dusty Substance

I think binge watching eight hours of SLF in one night has rubbed off on me - I just walked into a door.

ASFTSN

As long as your energy drink is upright, you're probably ok.

frajer

"My energy drinkaaaaaa!" has definitely entered our household references. So joyously daft.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Dusty Substance on November 08, 2021, 08:12:15 PM
Just started watching the first series this afternoon and it's so much better than expected. I'd assumed it was going to be another Phone Shop but, no, it's actually funny with likeable characters (something Phone Shop didn't have). 

Phone Shop had likeable characters, didn't it? Ashley and Jerwayne weren't especially for the most part, but Christopher, Janine and especially Lance were likeable, no? I thought Phone Shop was a hidden gem, written off by most because of it's infuriatingly obnoxious soundtrack but consistently very funny.

Utter Shit

Quote from: frajer on November 09, 2021, 01:35:01 PM
"My energy drinkaaaaaa!" has definitely entered our household references. So joyously daft.

Youmademedropmaenergydraaankaaaa

ajsmith2

Was I right in thinking that Stath's childhood toy (which appeared to be some kind of fabric leek) was called 'Green Nut'? If so, that's my favourite bit of the new series.

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 09, 2021, 02:22:09 PM
Phone Shop had likeable characters, didn't it? Ashley and Jerwayne weren't especially for the most part, but Christopher, Janine and especially Lance were likeable, no? I thought Phone Shop was a hidden gem, written off by most because of it's infuriatingly obnoxious soundtrack but consistently very funny.

I agree, someone pointed out on here that SLF and PS could easily exist in the same universe which I also agree with - People Just Do Nothing too. I think they all have a good take on different London "types" I have met over the last 20 years.

The "big zone 4 energy" comment about SLF made me chuckle.

Utter Shit

What on earth was episode 5 all about.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 09, 2021, 02:22:09 PM
Phone Shop had likeable characters, didn't it? Ashley and Jerwayne weren't especially for the most part, but Christopher, Janine and especially Lance were likeable, no?

Not really. Not for me, at least - I switched off halfway through the fourth episode and never went back.

Didn't one of the characters take a creepshot of a woman bending over in the first or second episode with no comeuppance?