Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia ~ Season 15

Started by Mobius, November 04, 2021, 03:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

I thought the pub girl whose hair Dennis sniffed had a hokey accent to be honest. But, fun fact, the brilliant actor (whose name I've forgotten!) playing Mac's priest friend is actually Scottish.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: wrec on January 19, 2022, 10:53:17 PMI appreciate them using Irish actors for the relevant parts  especially if they weren't on location. IIRC the doctor had the only Oirish accent, which was so tortured that I was initially trying to work out if he was supposed to be Pakistani or something.

That scene had the biggest giveaway they weren't in Ireland - the American sockets dotted around the hospital beds.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: neveragain on January 19, 2022, 11:10:29 PMBut, fun fact, the brilliant actor (whose name I've forgotten!) playing Mac's priest friend is actually Scottish.

He was really good, I got really strong Father Ted vibes from that guy, not that he was like Ted himself but he would have fit perfectly into that show as a character.

Mobius

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 19, 2022, 11:20:00 PMHe was really good, I got really strong Father Ted vibes from that guy, not that he was like Ted himself but he would have fit perfectly into that show as a character.

He reminded me of the priest who drew the picture of the boy in the Flight From Terror episode I think

neveragain

Bad Ambassador

AsparagusTrevor

When you watch the older seasons' outtakes it was usually guaranteed nine times out of ten that if Rob was in the scene he would be the one to corpse first, but that video shows he's getting better at holding it in.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 20, 2022, 11:26:24 AMWhen you watch the older seasons' outtakes it was usually guaranteed nine times out of ten that if Rob was in the scene he would be the one to corpse first, but that video shows he's getting better at holding it in.

Charlie is terrible at holding it together. You can even see the occasional smirk in some of the actual episodes.

BeardFaceMan

They go a bit further than that, they keep in instances of them full-on corpsing in the actual show. The last one I noticed was this season Mac corpsing in the back of the car when Dennis is driving and has a screaming outburst. I think they talked about it in the podcast, it kind of takes the edge off how dark the show can be, it shows everyone having a good time and enjoying themselves. I agree, it's not overused and it works very well.

dr beat

Absolutely.  In Charlie and Mac Write A Movie theres a scene where Rob is clearly in hysterics, but he's filmed from the back.

AsparagusTrevor

If anyone wants a laugh there's a complication on Youtube, fairly old but has some good ones

Unfortunately it misses Mac's one from Charlie's "Go Fuck Yourself" song which I love, but has a great, rare Danny DeVito one (Charlie trying to say "certificate"

BeardFaceMan

The ep where they go skiiing has one of my favourite ones, it's when the slacker guy turns his back on them and starts jacking off and Mac is just full-on pissing himself laughing.

Sebastian Cobb

The end of this one with Dennis always gets me:

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Funny though his outburst is I always thought that seemed a bit out of character for Dennis. He wouldn't take dietary advice from Mac, much less let him dictate what he can eat.

neveragain

There's a good one in one of the new Ireland eps after Dee downs a pint of Guinness. You can only see the top half of her face but she definitely goes.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 20, 2022, 10:28:08 PMFunny though his outburst is I always thought that seemed a bit out of character for Dennis. He wouldn't take dietary advice from Mac, much less let him dictate what he can eat.

Yeah I think they flipped their dynamic as it went on, makes more sense the other way round.

MrsWarboysLover

I thought it showed Mac being needy and mothering and obsessed with Dennis, which fits. I guess the surprising part is Dennis being willing to go along with it.

H-O-W-L

The Rock/Flag/Eagle scene is also a great bit of almost-corpsing. If you look at Kaitlin during the scene she's visibly struggling to choke back laughter because the song was improv'd on the spot.

Milo

Season 15 on Netflix next week for uk-based non-thieves.

Blue Jam

Season 15 on Netflix now.

Also just saw this trailer for Charlie Day's new Amazon Prime film in which he plays... Charlie Kelly, it seems. Are we supposed to be rooting for him and his best mate here or are we supposed to find them creepy and stalkerish? Hmmmm:

Noodle Lizard

Charlie Day's confusing. He comes off as the most grounded and pleasant of them all on the podcast, and I've no reason to believe he's anything other than that in his "real life", but Christ everything he does outside of Sunny is awful. Same could be said for all of the main three, really (Olson and De Vito (obviously) have both done great things outside of Sunny) but Day has had arguably the most "Hollywood" success.

Mythic Quest is shite, AP Bio is shite, everything else Charlie Day's been in has been shite. Perhaps this Amazon Original will be excellent, I dunno, but I don't expect it will be. I'm struggling to think of a group of creators who are able to sustain one really great project together, but are each utterly hopeless on their own.

Greater than the sum of their parts.

What about The Lego Movie?

Blue Jam

I like Charlie Day's scientist character in Pacific Rim, but I guess that's more of a cameo. Not caught him in anything else tbh.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 01, 2022, 08:42:51 PMGreater than the sum of their parts.

What about The Lego Movie?

I've seen it a handful of times and honestly couldn't tell you which one of them was in it.

Charlie Day played the spaceman. The role involved some amount of screaming.

EOLAN

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 19, 2022, 11:13:04 PMThat scene had the biggest giveaway they weren't in Ireland - the American sockets dotted around the hospital beds.

For me, the pint glasses and the nature of the beer pumps in the bars were the biggest giveaway.

Still one episode left to watch. Only the first one didn't hit with me.

Dog Botherer

he was fun in the Lego Movie. fairly minor role really though.

Day seems extremely typecast as a weirdo loser which unfortunately results in everything he does being a weak derivative of Charlie from IASIP. 

been on a rewatch of Reno911 and a pre-Sunny himself and his old lady showed up as a pair of incestuous twins.

BeardFaceMan

Glenn Howerton had a fun little role in the two Crank films. Mac was in Lost too, wasn't he?

I binged the new series last night. I hadn't intended to watch all of it, but I got caught up in the ongoing plot. I might have worried that it going plot heavy was a a sign that the jokes weren't there, but I laughed heartily throughout.

Crivens, but there was a lot of swearing though. I'm no Mary Whitehouse, but it felt a little jarring.

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 01, 2022, 08:58:57 PMI like Charlie Day's scientist character in Pacific Rim, but I guess that's more of a cameo.
Cameo? He leads the film's B-plot, if I remember rightly.