Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:49:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Glinutes of Shame: Lying in the Gettr Looking at the TRAs

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, January 16, 2022, 12:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

I sometimes worry I'm going to see my mum in the screenshots on Graham's commenters. I know she's a fan of his, but I imagine she uses a pseudonym.

selectivememory

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on January 16, 2022, 12:17:01 PMTo be honest, I do actually think Grint's "Auntie" quote is a bit sexist, or at the very least fairly patronising. It also downplays the platform and influence Rowling has compared to a relative who says embarrassing things.

I don't see this at all, any of it.

How is it patronising and sexist? He's describing his relationship to a woman 23 years older than him* whom he's known since he was 11 and worked and associated with in a professional capacity for about a decade, and with whom he has been associated with for 20 years.

In that context, an auntie - someone who's not a very close relative, but whom you see sporadically over the course of decades and have great affection for - seems perfectly appropriate.

And the platform thing is nonsense too. He's talking about how he feels about Rowling - expressing his own emotional reaction to their relationship - not making an objective assessment of her popular reach.

But even if it wasn't nonsense, he's a well-known celebrity himself, being interviewed in a national newspaper, so he has his own reach relative to her that adds further context to the pseudo-aunt/nephew relationship.

* Although this doesn't necessarily have much bearing on anything - I knew a bloke whose uncle was younger than him due to his grandparents having another kid very late on.

king_tubby

Fisher Goes Berserk

'Remove the dinosaur' has genuinely made my day. I knew these people were stupid and pathetic, but I hadn't realised they were 'you're not allowed to use that emoji' stupid and pathetic.

idunnosomename

isnt it just the most ironic thing that the plot point of the biggest dinosaur movie ever is that the dinosaurs change sex?

Captain Z

"You are a troll and you are manipulative. Yes, you are. Stop arguing, you are! Yes you are yes you are yes you are! OK, call me back when you get this message."

FalknerHinton

Thanks for doing the thread Poirot, and that's an excellent title, well done previous thread. I'll pour one out for our homie Madhair.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley have utterly disrespected and betrayed Roman Polanski for not vociferously speaking out in favour of drugging and raping young girls.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Captain Z on January 16, 2022, 04:11:42 PM"You are a troll and you are manipulative. Yes, you are. Stop arguing, you are! Yes you are yes you are yes you are! OK, call me back when you get this message."

Lynn, can you call Bill Oddie...

Jumblegraws

Glinner, The Last Dinosaur,
He lost friends and a whole lot more
Gender, makes his fat head sore
Cold carbonara dripping on the floor

Photoshop by the consumptive Moley

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Open the door
Get on the floor
Every TRA remove the dinosaur

The Late Satoru Iwata

DJ Bob Hoskins

Under the water
Carry the water
REMOVE THE DINOSAUR
From the bottom of the ocean

samadriel

Barry Admin

Billy Bragg's dinosaur remained.

Yes thank youuuu madhair. Great job.

greencalx

"You don't lack any rights. You want privileges."

Literally zero self-awareness there.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 16, 2022, 04:16:20 PMSigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley have utterly disrespected and betrayed Roman Polanski for not vociferously speaking out in favour of drugging and raping young girls.

Harvey Weinstein literally made those actresses careers, the little shits...

jobotic

Remove the dinosaur, she said
It'll make you want to smash your head

somersetchris

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 16, 2022, 04:16:20 PMSigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley have utterly disrespected and betrayed Roman Polanski for not vociferously speaking out in favour of drugging and raping young girls.

And as for everyone who's ever appeared in a Woody Allen film...

Jollity

The Harry Potter film "kids" are all in their thirties now. I'm just wondering how old a person has to be to understand "the real world". I myself am thirty-nine, and there's no such thing as "the real world".

phes

Graham's digital utopia didn't really work out how he expected (him being Grandmaster Twitter) so now he lives a permanent backlash against the present, the future and the intangible.   

wrec

Also JK hadn't PEAKED at the time of the films, had she? As far as I know, organised transphobia as we know it today had yet to evolve. Should the child actors have signed a clause guaranteeing their public support for any fringe prejudice auntie Jo might some day adopt?

damien

He's quiet on Gettr this past few days, he seems to have been chastened by those pro-Trump emails they sent out last week.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Re Helen Joyce's totes dodge tweet about Ralph: it's wild how some people can't get their heads around any kind of relationship between a cishet man and a cishet woman that doesn't involve fucking, even when the relationship was professional and one of the parties involved was a literal child.